Apple releases iAd Producer 2.0, Java updates

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released the 2.0 version of its iAd producer software, as well as Java updates for Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion users.

iAd Producer

The Cupertino, Calif., company first released iAd producer late last year as a tool for designing interactive "rich media ads" and an alternative to Adobe's Flash.

The tool draws from Apple's Xcode developer environment to work with HTML5, CSS 3 and Javascript in a simplified interface. It includes page layout templates and pre-built user interface components to assist developers. iAd Producer 2 is available for registered Apple developers to download on the company's website.

New features included in iAd Producer 2 are: animation tools, page objects, code-editing improvements, project validation and an Object List. The project validation feature checks projects before an ad is sent to Apple, while Object List provides easy access to objects or elements on a single page.\t

Though iAd made a big splash when it arrived last year, the advertising service appears to have struggle in recent months. Apple is said to have cut rates by as much as 70 percent in order to attract clients.

But, recent rumors have suggested that iAds could play a part in the ecosystem surrounding an Apple television set. Speculation surrounding such a device has gained momentum in recent weeks after a biography about late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs revealed that he believed he had "cracked" the interface for a connected HDTV.

Java updates

Java update for Mac OS X 10.6 brings Java SE 5 to 1.6.0_29, providing "improved compatibility, security, and reliability." The 75.45MB download requires Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Java for OS X Lion Update 1 also updates Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_29 with improved compatibility security and reliability. The download comes in at 62.53MB and requires OS X 10.7.

Apple has said that the version of Java "that is ported by Apple, and that ships with Mac OS X," is deprecated. As Apple phases out support, Oracle is expected to step in to maintain Java, which it obtained when it acquired Sun.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Haven't had Java or Flash installed in Safari since moving to Lion. Not missing them either.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Haven't had Java or Flash installed in Safari since moving to Lion. Not missing them either.

I run a few Java applications, so I am glad Oracle will be keeping Mac OS Java up to date. Larry and Steve were good friends.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Now all we need is an iAd blocker for iOS 5, and everything will be great!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The many software developers that use Macs are very glad that Java is being kept up-to-date.

The Java ecosystem isn't used much for desktop applications (for good reason), but it is still the beating heart of thousands of server-side web applications.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I couldn't get Adobe CS5.5 installed on my network (2011 Mac Mini Server) until I installed this Java update. Isolated Adobe Mini server incompatibility.