Biggest complaint about Siri

bmobmo
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
When asking Siri to call someone from your contact list, Siri can't make calls if it's service is offline. The way I see it, Siri should search my local contact list first prior to attempting to access the server. Maybe it will require each device to have a limited amount of stored commands to run through first before it jumps to the server. I don't know but it makes me !

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    The server access is required for Siri to understand what you're saying. The parsing of conversational speaking is done server-side, so it can't do that at all without network access.

At least, right now. I have no doubt that in the future Siri will be computationally possible on the device itself.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bmobmo Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The server access is required for Siri to understand what you're saying. The parsing of conversational speaking is done server-side, so it can't do that at all without network access.

At least, right now. I have no doubt that in the future Siri will be computationally possible on the device itself.

I see your point... However, "core" phone commands (ex: call or play) shouldn't have to access the server unless it doesn't understand what is being asked. I think a merger of Voice Control and Siri would have been a better end product. It would also reduce the traffic to Siri servers on trivial requests.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmo View Post

I see your point... However, "core" phone commands (ex: call or play) shouldn't have to access the server unless it doesn't understand what is being asked. I think a merger of Voice Control and Siri would have been a better end product. It would also reduce the traffic to Siri servers on trivial requests.

The old voice commands are still there if you turn Siri off. So if you're often in a place where you have no network service, you can turn off Siri and have a modicum of control.