Please help re: QT net movies

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
OK, In the link to follow, I am trying to view the movies on the page:

<a href="http://www.skiff.tcu.edu/skifftv/"; target="_blank">http://www.skiff.tcu.edu/skifftv/</a>;

Now, the only ones I am having problems with are the "Spring 2002" movies. If I try to click the link directly, I get a little QuickTime box, it says it is requesting data and negotiating, and eventually I get a "Timed Out" error. If I try to ctrl-click on the link and choose "Download link to disk" (my preference) it only downloads approx. 650-750 bytes of the movie.

The funny thing is that everything priort to "Spring 2002" works just fine. The movie will download in its entirety.

I have been in contact with those who run it and they cannot figure it out. I have tried with IE in OS9 and X, and OmniWeb in X, and it won't work no matter which OS or browser i am using.

Would someone here please try these Spring 2002 movies? You don't have to download the whole thing if you don't want to, just see if it starts working for you. I am using a 56k modem, but I don't think that is the problem as like I said, everything else there prior to Spring 2002 works.

I appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    i'm watching the first one right now, "sherely you can help" or something like that.

if you're still having probs, let me know, i'll email them to you.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>i'm watching the first one right now, "sherely you can help" or something like that.

if you're still having probs, let me know, i'll email them to you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

nevermind, i can't email them to you, but here's something i did notice once my brain turned on.

Spring 2002 movies stream, that's why you are getting the "Negotiating" etc messages. The others don't stream. If there is a way to save streamed qt movies to your HD, i don't know it, the small files that you are downloading are actually just files that point to the originals, an alias of sorts.

the prob that you have may be your connection, check your QT Connection Speed and Plug-In Settings (from the arrow at the right of te control strip below the movie) to make sure everything there is set correctly.

if you still have no luck, see if you can make friends with someone with a faster connection and watch it at their house your connection may just be too slow
  • Reply 3 of 4
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    If you are having trouble viewing a QT stream it might have to do with your QT preferences. Sometimes streams can't get through your firewall or router. Look at your QT preferences (not the player preferences). In OS X under Connection press the Transport button. Note what it is set for now (either HTTP or UDP). You can try the Autoconfigure button and see what happens or just try different settings. HTTP is usually more reliable. I'm not sure what the downside of using HTTP is.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yeah, it was the trasnport thing that was messing it up. However, while my computer now connexts, I still cannot view the movie. The fit image comes up, but it doesn't move and I do not get any sound. The scroll on the bottom goes left to right as if the movie were playing, but like I said I get a still of the first frame and nothing more. It doesn't matter wether I set my connection speed to 28.8 or 56k. I think my connection is just too poor. I only get less than 3,000kbps on a good day on downloads, and I have been told thaat I cannot get DSL becasue the phone lines are so prro near my house. I am thinking this is why I am still having problems.