Quicktime getting quirky....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The Blue Meanie recently (cough!) acquired a few episodes of of a certain well-known US sitcom in divX format, and set about watching them via a Quicktime plugin (divosx). The first few played perfectly well. But then I reached a certain point in one of the later episodes, and Quicktime Player suddenly began to produce a "QuickTime Player.out" text file, something I've never seen before, as follows:-

Attempts to get rid of this by stopping and starting the player resulted in the player crashing several times. Eventually I ignored the "present movie" option I had been using, as the "out" file insisted on blocking my view, and I just let the divX file play in a window, with the out file continuing to unfurl behind it.

To add a bizarre twist, while all this was going on, the QT Player menu split in two in an unhealthy, virus-like fashion:

Anyone got an idea what this is/ was? A virus? (Maybe unlikely). Dodgy coding in the divX plugin? (If the latter, why did it only occur in that one episode?)

A further clue - in the phantom second QT menu bar, "About Quicktime Player" became a (non-functional) "About Sioux".

[ 04-20-2002: Message edited by: The Blue Meanie ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    That's an ultra-rare bug you found there. I've read just two or three reports of it and never seen it myself. Don't worry, you don't have a virus or anything like that. It shows up like that because Apple build QuickTime Player in Metrowerks Codewarrior. Anyone who's used Codewarrior will be familiar with SIOUX. There may be bad coding in the DivX plugin that is forcing up the roots of the QuickTime Player.app.

Anyway, just quit the player and reopen it. That should clear it up.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Ive had that too. I feel a bit smug that Ive had an ultra-rare bug. Mind you it wasn't a DIVX of a sit-com that threw it up
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>That's an ultra-rare bug you found there. I've read just two or three reports of it and never seen it myself. Don't worry, you don't have a virus or anything like that. It shows up like that because Apple build QuickTime Player in Metrowerks Codewarrior. Anyone who's used Codewarrior will be familiar with SIOUX. There may be bad coding in the DivX plugin that is forcing up the roots of the QuickTime Player.app.

Anyway, just quit the player and reopen it. That should clear it up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oooh, an ultra-rare bug! :eek: Like my fellow countryman MarcUK, I feel strangely proud. Thanks for the illuminating response, Starfleet
  • Reply 4 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>Ive had that too. I feel a bit smug that Ive had an ultra-rare bug. Mind you it wasn't a DIVX of a sit-com that threw it up </strong><hr></blockquote>

A divX of something else, entirely, was it?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    there's a divx player for mac out there! how do i get it?!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    r. h.r. h. Posts: 56member
    [quote]Originally posted by ghetobear:

<strong>there's a divx player for mac out there! how do i get it?!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I believe the most recent one is available at <a href="http://www.divx.com/divx/maclinux.php"; target="_blank">divx.com</a>. Be aware, though... it's alpha software, so don't expect anything even remotely resembling reliability here...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    seppakseppak Posts: 38member
    I wouldn't use the divx player. It does other bad stuff such as making AIM hang forever until you force quit it when you sign on. I would just try the divx stuff they have at <a href="http://www.3ivx.com"; target="_blank">3ivx.com</a> instead. You should only need Divx Doctor 2 and the 3ivx Delta 4 codec.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Yes, there are some dodgy divx players out there. You're better off with a plugin for Quicktime - try <a href="http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec_mac.html"; target="_blank">here</a>

Divosx ? I forget the URL ? is also good