Apple looking into remaining battery life issues after iOS 5.0.1 update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Following this week's iOS 5.0.1 update for the iPhone, some users still continue to experience battery issues, and Apple has said it is investigating the matter.

In a statement to John Paczkowski of All Things D, Apple acknowledged there may be some issues that still need to be addressed after Thursday's release of iOS 5.0.1. That update was advertised to fix bugs affecting battery life, but some users have said the problems persist.

"The recent iOS software update addressed many of the battery issues that some customers experienced on their iOS 5 devices," the company reportedly said. "We continue to investigate a few remaining issues."

Apple worked quickly to release iOS 5.0.1 to the public and provide a fix for the battery woes that it said affected a small number of users. The company released two beta builds of the software last week to developers just two days apart, an unusually fast pace for pre-release software from Apple.

As Apple has worked to fix the bugs that have resulted in shorter battery life for some iPhone users, the company's employees have also been actively working with some customers to diagnose the battery-related bugs as it worked on a fix. Some users were asked to install temporary diagnostic software on their iPhone so Apple could track their usage.

The 5.0.1 update issued on Thursday included other additions and fixes in the incremental update, including multitasking gestures for the original iPad, the resolution of bugs with Documents in the Cloud, and improved voice recognition for Australian users with Siri. The software was also the first public over-the-air update issued by Apple to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    5.0.2 in two and a half weeks to satiate these people, anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Surely Apple is doing this on purpose to make you buy the 6th iPhone next year. (logic taken from the 3G running iOS 4.0 case)
  • Reply 3 of 64
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    can they make my iP4S's battery to last for, say, a week? :P
  • Reply 4 of 64
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Actually my iPhone 4S battery was fine before the update. Now it drains faster. I have just fully charged my iPhone. It has been on my desk for 15 minutes after full charge. It shows 15 minutes usage and 15 minutes standby!
  • Reply 5 of 64
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    my 4S battery drains about 2x as fast as my 4 when I use it. I just figured two times the number of horses drink twice as much water. A V8 uses twice as much gas as a 4 cylinder? you get the idea.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    I could not care less about the battery issue, as I am able to keep my phone plugged in enough during the day to keep it charged. What I REALLY want them to fix is the damn echoing and the noise around me being picked up my the mic and transmitted into my noise isolating headphones.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
  • Reply 7 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If this scenario was Android.

Hardware guys --> HTC, Moto, Samsung...

Hardware guys: It must be Android OS.

Google: <<cricket sounds>>

Hardware guys: just buy another battery.

Google: Sorry, you're not an advertiser so please see online support

Hardware guys: Even if it is Android, good luck seeing an update anytime soon. Any update given by Google will need to modified for our sake and then by the time it's ready, your phone won't be supported. Just buy a new phone.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, no problems. I updated to iOS 5.0.1 on the same phone no problems. I've never seen problems. People just like to complain or they're just stupid.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

Upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5, no problems. I updated to iOS 5.0.1 on the same phone no problems. I never seen problems. People just like to complain or their just stupid.

Untrue. A personal dearth of problems does not a non-issue make. A vast (99%) majority with a dearth of problems does a non-issue make.

Many people are having problems with their battery life. Many are also experiencing an anti-placebo about it and are being paranoid. And plenty aren't having any problems.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Untrue. A personal dearth of problems does not a non-issue make. A vast (99%) majority with a dearth of problems does a non-issue make.

Many people are having problems with their battery life. Many are also experiencing an anti-placebo about it and are being paranoid. And plenty aren't having any problems.

No, people are stupid.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

No, people are stupid.

What are you, an armadillo?
  • Reply 12 of 64
    No people are having problems...like me...an Apple Fan Boy (man)...5.2 get here quick, pls. Once the battery issue is fixed this is gonna be one hell of a computer that happens to make phone calls!\\
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:

No, people are stupid.

Some are. That has nothing to do with them having problems, however. Apple has a history of occasionally putting out an iOS update that causes problems with battery life. I'll reiterate; your lack of a problem does not mean they don't exist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

What are you, an armadillo?

I'm curious as to the association you're making. What quality of an armadillo is he exhibiting?
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Explain to me how there's a problem for the people who are not having problems. We're all on the same hardware, same software build. Either it's use case or stupidity. Latter is true.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:

No, people are stupid.

No, what applies to you does not mean it applies to everyone.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

We're all on the same hardware, same software build.

I, personally, don't think that you really believe we all own the same hardware and that the software is identical across all models of hardware.

That's fallacy at its very best. iOS 5.0.1 runs on ten hardware configurations across three families of devices and comes in ten flavors.

Within these hardware configurations are differently sourced parts. There are some screens from Samsung and some from LG. There are some NAND flash chips from one provider while others are provided by others. While the physical makeup of devices within a single hardware configuration may be the same, the parts may not.

Remember the Sony MacBook Pro (or was it PowerBook G4?) battery fiasco from years back? It obviously only affected Sony batteries, even though there were no marks of differentiation between those affected and otherwise-sourced batteries.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    I didn't have any battery issues, but I did have a really annoying Siri issue that was corrected in 5.0.1. If I was viewing my Verizon visual voicemail, played a message, and put the iPhone up to my head, Siri would try to chime in and listen instead of letting me listen to my voicemail!! Drove me crazy and forced me to play back all voicemails through speakerphone. Happily, iOS 5.0.1 has fixed this
  • Reply 18 of 64
    bmobmo Posts: 6member
    I had no battery issue but now I do with 5.0.1. It seems exceptionally bad when using a blue tooth device. Also, when i'm on the boarder of my wifi range things related to data don't work. You'd think the transistion at this stage in the game would be seamless!!!!!

upgraded at work and left 100% charged, 3 hrs later (made a few short phone calls, sent about 5 txt msgs, checked my email with a couple replies) 65%

I was on the phone with ATT then they transferred me to Apple. I was losing 1% every 2 min.

I'd jump ship but i'm heavilly invested in itunes content and apple devices.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I, personally, don't think that you really believe we all own the same hardware and that the software is identical across all models of hardware.

That's fallacy at its very best. iOS 5.0.1 runs on ten hardware configurations across three families of devices and comes in ten flavors.

Within these hardware configurations are differently sourced parts. There are some screens from Samsung and some from LG. There are some NAND flash chips from one provider while others are provided by others. While the physical makeup of devices within a single hardware configuration may be the same, the parts may not.

Remember the Sony MacBook Pro (or was it PowerBook G4?) battery fiasco from years back? It obviously only affected Sony batteries, even though there were no marks of differentiation between those affected and otherwise-sourced batteries.

In addition to those variables, there are, of course, other variables:

- Phone settings. The phone allows you the option to change many settings that could affect battery life

- Usage (3G vs WiFi). Perhaps there is excessive battery drain only on 3G. Or only on WiFi. Either way, only those using one protocol would see the problem

- Signal strength. Perhaps it's only a problem when 3G signals are weak - which would only affect some people

It's not hard to believe that some percentage of people have a battery life problem. The hard part is figuring out the root cause and fixing it.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Explain to me how there's a problem for the people who are not having problems. We're all on the same hardware, same software build. Either it's use case or stupidity. Latter is true.

This logic is infallible.

People claim to have Cancer.

However, I don't have Cancer.

Therefore, Cancer doesn't exist.

They must be just being stupid.