Apple to again erase iTunes Match beta libraries Saturday

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has notified developers testing the pre-release beta of its iTunes Match service that their matched libraries will once again be erased on Saturday, Nov. 12.

The erasing of pre-release libraries is once again being done in preparation for the forthcoming launch of iTunes Match. The company has not given a new timeline for when iTunes Match will become publicly available after it missed its previous deadline when the $24.99-per-year service did not debut in October.

Apple said it will delete all current iCloud libraries for iTunes Match on Saturday, Nov. 12 at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. Developers have been asked to turn off the iTunes Match functionality on all computers and iOS devices.

That can be accomplished by choosing "Turn Off iTunes Match" under the "Store" menu in iTunes on a Mac or PC. On an iOS device, simply open the native "Settings" application, choose "Music," and turn off iTunes Match. The feature can also be disabled on an Apple TV under the "Music" option.

"The songs on your computer should not be affected," Apple said in a note to developers. "As always, please backup regularly and do not delete the music you add to iCloud from your computer."

Apple last reset developer libraries in the iTunes Match Beta in late October, leading to some hope that the service was due to see an imminent launch. However, the company has since made no mention of a launch date, and the iTunes Store's front page still advertises that iTunes Match is "coming soon."

When it is eventually publicly available, iTunes Match will support music collections of up to 25,000 songs for $24.99 per year. The service will scan users' personal music libraries, including songs obtained from ripped CDs or other locations, and match them up with tracks sold on the iTunes Store.

iTunes Match subscribers will be able to re-download any of their matched songs on other enabled devices, including iPhones and iPads. Those downloads will be 256Kbps AAC files, even if the original user-owned files are of lower quality.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    maybe this time they will do it right and will launch it soon.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    $25 at the ready. Bring it, Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    hmmm...

iCloud seems to be down.

Could there be a link?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

hmmm...

iCloud seems to be down.

Could there be a link?

I noticed that too. Maybe they erased everything.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bkerkay View Post

I noticed that too. Maybe they erased everything.

...or updating everything, offline for maintenance.

Actually, some bozo probably flipped the wrong switch.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    There is definitely some weird stuff going on. I have been using match and as requested I turned it off on my iPad and iPhone. Just out of curiosity I turned it back on, but it won't see the data anymore. My Mac is still seeing the files and can download from match, but it appears that once you shut it off it won't let you back in. I'm guessing that issues with match are impacting iCloud and Siri since they are likely using the same server farm for all these services.

I have to say, that match is very cool, but it is going to confuse people for a while. No one is going to say "it just works" about match. It may be the nature of what they are trying to do, but coordinating what is on multiple computers and iDevices with data in the cloud is difficult. I was constantly dealing with issues like having two copies of songs or trying to figure out how to just remove certain files. I think that in time this will be awesome, and even out of the gate it will be cool, but it is going to take some time to get everything working right.

You should be glad that they didn't release it a few weeks ago, because it was a much worse mess. I spent most of the beta time cleaning up my library, fixing tags, etc. There are still issues like 9 out of 10 songs on an album matching which is frustrating, but like I said, it's a complicated task that they are doing.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    How come Amazon can do this right out of the box come next week yet Apple ,a software company, can't!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

How come Amazon can do this right out of the box come next week yet Apple ,a software company, can't!

The eye rolling is to solidify the position of the comment as humorous, right?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The eye rolling is to solidify the position of the comment as humorous, right?

Luster is off the lily
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TallistDah View Post

Luster is off the lily

Sorry, never seen Passion Play.