Briefly: Phil Schiller; iOS 5.0.1 contact bug; $99 iPhone 4S in Puerto Rico

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller has received a slight shift in his title at the company, while iOS 5.0.1 appears to have introduced a bug that keeps an iPhone 4S from recognizing contacts. Finally, a wireless carrier in Puerto Rico is selling the iPhone 4S for the low price of $99.99 with a two-year contract.

Phil Schiller

Apple's website introducing its executive team is now reflecting a change in Schiller's title from SVP of Worldwide Product Marketing to SVP of Worldwide Marketing, as first noticed by The Next Web.

Though it's likely that the subtle change doesn't mean much for Schiller, it's also possible that the shift corresponds to an adjustment in Schiller's responsibilities at the company. Schiller has in recent years played a more public role at Apple, especially in relation to Mac OS X.

The Cupertino, Calif., company's executive team is undergoing some restructuring. At the beginning of the month, Apple took down former retail chief Ron Johnson's photo and bio from its website after he left to be the CEO at J.C. Penney. Johnson is reportedly gathering former Apple executives to serve on his new team at the U.S. retailer.

In September, iTunes boss Eddy Cue received a promotion to senior vice president of Internet Software & Services from his previous position as vice president of Internet Services. As part of his new role, Cue will oversee iAds and iCloud in addition to iTunes.

Of course, the biggest personnel change for Apple was the resignation of Steve Jobs as CEO in August. Apple has yet to appoint a new chairman of the board since Jobs passed away from pancreatic cancer in early October.

Contact bug

After wirelessly updating to iOS 5.0.1, Paul Hontz of The Startup Foundry reported that his iPhone 4S on Verizon no longer recognized his contact entries. Though all of his information remained in the contacts app, the device would only show phone numbers when receiving calls or text messages.

According to Hontz, many of his Twitter followers have experienced similar issues. For now, the issue appears isolated to iPhone 4S users on the Verizon network who updated to iOS 5.0.1 over the air.

Some users reported being able to resolve the issue by calling Verizon or disabling and re-enabling iCloud contacts. Hontz was able to fix his incoming calls by calling the carrier's over-the-air programming number, but he has yet to find a fix for his incoming messages.

Apple released iOS 5.0.1 on Thursday to address battery life issues and other bugs in the operating system. The release also marked the first public over-the-air iOS update.

Scattered reports suggest that iOS 5.0.1 did not fix all users' battery issues. Apple indicated on Friday that it is aware of the problems and is continuing to investigate the issue.

Puerto Rico

Wireless operator Claro in Puerto Rico is advertising the 16GB iPhone 4S for just $99 with a two-year contract, a full $100 cheaper than Apple's own price of $199 in the U.S. 32GB and 64GB models sell for $199.99 and $299.99 respectively, though the higher-capacity versions are listed as coming soon.

Plans for the device start at $64.98 a month for unlimited minutes and SMS with 250MB of data, while unlimited data, voice and SMS costs $84.98 a month. Claro also offers the iPhone 4S off contract for $669, $769 and $869, $20 more than Apple's prices for contract-free versions of its latest handset. The iPhone 4S is also available in Puerto Rico on AT&T and Sprint.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Anyone want to guess the last three digits of Erin Hontz's phone number?

Just kidding. Congrats to Eddy Cue on his promotion. Steve appears to have left a strong team in place.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Anyone want to guess the last three digits of Erin Hontz's phone number?

Just kidding. Congrats to Eddy Cue on his promotion. Steve appears to have left a strong team in place.

So I assume you'll be congratulating Phil a couple months from now since Eddy's was announced back in September?
  • Reply 3 of 61
    I think it has to with that this new code has changed the formatting of the number in Contacts and how the number formatting is being processed and sent by the various carriers.

I found another way to fix the contact problem is to edit each phone number and add a +1 in front of the area code. Yes, it stinks, is time consuming, and generally a pain in the butt.

Not all are fixed this way as some numbers (calls and/or texts) come across with no formatting so you have to select "add to an existing contact," select the proper contact and add the unformatted number.

Like I said, not a viable option for those of us who have 100s or 1000s of contacts. :-(

Can you say iOS 5.0.2 coming to an iDevice near you soon? :-)
  • Reply 4 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Looks like 5.0.2. will hit Beta next week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dscoti View Post

I think it has to with that this new code has changed the formatting of the number in Contacts and how the number formatting is being processed and sent by the various carriers.

I found another way to fix the contact problem is to edit each phone number and add a +1 in front of the area code. Yes, it stinks, is time consuming, and generally a pain in the butt.

Not all are fixed this way as some numbers (calls and/or texts) come across with no formatting so you have to select "add to an existing contact," select the proper contact and add the unformatted number.

Like I said, not a viable option for those of us who have 100s or 1000s of contacts. :-(

You can save your Adrdress Book on the Mac as a vCard, then open up the vCard in Text Edit. Then add +1 to entries that that don't have +1 after the colon in any line that starts with TEL. That shouldn't be hard too to write a script that does that.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

So I assume you'll be congratulating Phil a couple months from now since Eddy's was announced back in September?

Phil who?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    First we had Antennagate (question: how many of you understand why we put "gate" at the end of any scandal that comes up? Which I'm sick of by the way), and that turned out to be nothing, and imho a coordinated effort by Apple's competition to knock back interest in the phone.

Now we have Batterygate (not spoken yet, but you will hear it soon I predict) and Contactgate. The media seem to be fanning the flames of these two "problems" too. See CNET and other media outlets. Message boards seem to be flooded by one time posters all decrying how horrible the phone is now. Again, another coordinated attack to knock back interest in the phone.

So here's my personal observations of my iPhone 4s: Sat in standby mode while I watched the last Harry Potter movie and the news. I lost maybe 3% of a full battery, over 3.5 hours. But I have turned off all unneeded apps (games, some utilities I don't need, like Airplay). The phone, email, messaging, Facebook are all on. I haven't fooled with any of the other "fixes" doled out recently.

During that time my brother and my sister called me. Both of their names and pictures came up as I have them in the Contacts.

Problems and complaints? None from me.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dscoti View Post

Considering every other country in the world actually uses the + (country code) as the switches look for this, it is not a fix but actually doing what the rest of the world has already done. I've been use. + (country code for years)
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Problems and complaints? None from me.

I have two of the 4S phones and there are four or five people that have them at work. No one that I know of is having issues with the battery. I also had the Iphone 4 (before I upgraded to the 4s) and carried that phone around naked in my pocket - never had an issue with the antenna - or dropped calls.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    I don't have any of the described problems.

As for battery life, I don't know anymore...

For today, I have 4 hrs 39 mins of usage and 13 hrs 49 mins of standby with 38% battery remaining. This is on maximum brightness with push email, notifications, bluetooth, wifi, location services, icloud, documents, photo stream, find my iphone, etc.; all on. I turned off ping, diagnostics, location iads, and time zone. It's been about the same on ios 5.0 prior to updating to 5.01. This is on an iphone 4s.

What should my battery be at after that? I need a basis to compare it to.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57...m/8a572624.jpg
  • Reply 10 of 61
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    "Apple has yet to appoint a new chairman of the board since Jobs passed away from pancreatic cancer in early October."

Suggestion: Steve Wozniak.

J.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drakkoss View Post

I have two of the 4S phones and there are four or five people that have them at work. No one that I know of is having issues with the battery. I also had the Iphone 4 (before I upgraded to the 4s) and carried that phone around naked in my pocket - never had an issue with the antenna - or dropped calls.

With millions and millions of devices one or two people will complain, always.

This doesn't mean that a real problem exist.

J.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

"Apple has yet to appoint a new chairman of the board since Jobs passed away from pancreatic cancer in early October."

J.

Love Apple and all but IMO it would be a big mistake to make Wox the new chairman of the board.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Anyone willing to bet on the number of updates we will get between now and iOS 6?
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:

J.

Jonny Ive- he built Apple part 2 as much as SJ yet never received the credit according to the book AND has been quite insulted by it hence the past rumors of his departure. SJ used to like to take all his credit , steal his thunder and render him insignificant. If he leaves, Apple is in big trouble. If he wants it Apple must give it to him. Imagine if he goes to Facebook or Google.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Considering every other country in the world actually uses the + (country code) as the switches look for this, it is not a fix but actually doing what the rest of the world has already done. I've been use. + (country code for years)

It is not that + has been used in other countries, most if not all countries had different prefixes to call a number abroad from a fixed line phone. Once mobile phones were able to roam easily (which essentially started with the GSM standard in 1991), the very same phone might need to use different prefixes depending on which country it was in. To solve this problem, it was agreed that the + symbol could be used instead (at least on mobile phones) to allow the same stored number to work from everywhere.

Since mobile phones have become more and more dominant and the rise of the internet which meant you publish for the whole world not single countries, using this universal prefix became the de-facto standard (though the old prefixes still work).
  • Reply 16 of 61
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ikol View Post

anyone willing to bet on the number of updates we will get between now and ios 6?

13 :d
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

13 :d

I'd say 11 but 13 sounds right for iTunes during the same time frame
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:

They didn't have one before; they don't really need one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Anyone willing to bet on the number of updates we will get between now and iOS 6?

Nine.

5.0.2, 5.0.3, 5.1, 5.1.1, 5.1.2, 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.2, 5.2.3.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Yes and if you don't include the + and country code you will likely have cross platform issues even in the USA. While Contacts is pretty free form, the world of telephony, other than the USA, adheres to standards.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wireless operator Claro in Puerto Rico is advertising the 16GB iPhone 4S for just $99 with a two-year contract, a full $100 cheaper than Apple's own price of $199 in the U.S. 32GB and 64GB models sell for $199.99 and $299.99 respectively, though the higher-capacity versions are listed as coming soon.

Plans for the device start at $64.98 a month for unlimited minutes and SMS with 250MB of data, while unlimited data, voice and SMS costs $84.98 a month. Claro also offers the iPhone 4S off contract for $669, $769 and $869, $20 more than Apple's prices for contract-free versions of its latest handset. The iPhone 4S is also available in Puerto Rico on AT&T and Sprint.

Damn. $99 iPhone 4S with unlimited minutes, data and SMS?! Why doesn't the mainland states get these awesome monthly deals with our carriers?