Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Siri is designed to plug in "providers" on the backend through their API so as it continues to grow it's going to be important for applications that want to provide the best Siri response to have their own custom API link in.

I suspect that we may see an open API for Siri next WWDC and then all He Double Hockey Sticks will break out because then Siri will suddenly go all Mensa on us with her knowledge about various things.

The Big Bang will be once Siri can be used to purchase products. I'm betting that the Apple Store will be the first place that you can complete a sale with merely your voice.

Just wait until the bluetooth skullcap that can read your brain waves comes out, then you can just "think" and Siri will react...and make purchases for you!
  • Reply 62 of 97
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I still believe for some people it's a matter of perhaps rogue app.

Yep, I agree, and some people are just stupid. Yes, it's me again, but I'm right. Too many people try to use their iPhones as a laptop. Guess what, the battery will never handle it.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Siri is designed to plug in "providers" on the backend through their API so as it continues to grow it's going to be important for applications that want to provide the best Siri response to have their own custom API link in.

I suspect that we may see an open API for Siri next WWDC and then all He Double Hockey Sticks will break out because then Siri will suddenly go all Mensa on us with her knowledge about various things.

The Big Bang will be once Siri can be used to purchase products. I'm betting that the Apple Store will be the first place that you can complete a sale with merely your voice.

I believe "you done broke the code!"

Here's what I'm hoping for -- something like:

1Q 2012

-- enhanced Siri integration with Apple's Mobile Apps

-- Lion Siri

-- more simple Siri actions performed on device alone

-- End of Siri beta

-- Release Siri 1.0 all A5 iDevices

-- Siri 2.0 Developer Beta

-- Siri Interface Guidelines

-- Siri Public APIs

WWDC 2Q 2012

-- Siri 2.0 Public Beta

You: "Siri find me the best price and availability of...."

Siri: "I found ..... for $.... available..... for...."

You: "Fine buy it, and let me know when it is delivered"

You: "Seri, schedule a staff meeting for all my first line managers at the earliest time -- so I can show them the new...."

Siri: "The managers' meeting has been scheduled at 7:00 AM Monday -- all have confirmed... 2 managers will be attending remotely"
  • Reply 64 of 97
    Some other issue...
  • Reply 65 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Ehm, that's wrong, you know. I'm glad I'm not your GF \.

Siri's not real.

By your logic, PETA needs to arrest gamers around the world fo wearing the Tanooki suit...
  • Reply 66 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I believe "you done broke the code!"

Here's what I'm hoping for -- something like:

1Q 2012

-- enhanced Siri integration with Apple's Mobile Apps

-- Lion Siri

-- more simple Siri actions performed on device alone

-- End of Siri beta

-- Release Siri 1.0 all A5 iDevices

-- Siri 2.0 Developer Beta

-- Siri Interface Guidelines

-- Siri Public APIs

WWDC 2Q 2012

-- Siri 2.0 Public Beta

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

I'm more inclined to think Apple will partner with more companies for Siri's backed (e.g.: Yelp!, Wolfram-Alpha) than I am to think they will let App Store developers use APIs to access Siri. I see so many potential hazards with it that it might take some time to figure out like with backgrouning APIs.
  • Reply 67 of 97
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Siri will go down in history as the beginning of a disruptive computer interface change on par with the creation of the GUI. It's too bad that Majel Barrett-Roddenberry wasn't alive to provide Siri's voice.
  • Reply 68 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Siri will go down in history as the beginning of a disruptive computer interface change on par with the creation of the GUI. It's too bad that Majel Barrett-Roddenberry wasn't still alive to provide Siri's voice.

Remember when the mouse was deemed a novelty, a gimmick, not for real computer users.
  • Reply 69 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, 'aufwendig' means 'costly'?

Not in this context. "Extensive" is the correctly translation here given the context of the original post. If you want to imply financial aspects you use "kostspielig" instead of "aufwendig" in German.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Remember when the mouse was deemed a novelty, a gimmick, not for real computer users.

That still applies for the Magic Mouse.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    Quote:

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

I'm more inclined to think Apple will partner with more companies for Siri's backed (e.g.: Yelp!, Wolfram-Alpha) than I am to think they will let App Store developers use APIs to access Siri. I see so many potential hazards with it that it might take some time to figure out like with backgrouning APIs.

Ahh... but you're missing it...

Any app that uses a keyboard can already use Siri dictation.

It should be a simple step for an app to expose to Siri, commands (cause and effects), that can be used within an app.

You can kinda' do that now:

-- open an app that displays an editable document (keyboard displayed)

-- tap the microphone key

-- dictate into Siri

-- press Siri Done key

-- press an app key to command the app to process the siri input

With availability of Siri APIs, the app could enable Siri to do all of the above.

I wrote a simple check list program that allows you to take a simple text file (like an email, a webpage recipe, etc.) and make (update) a checklist from it.

You: "Siri, Open MyChecklist App"

Siri: opens the app with a blank document...

You:

"Shopping List. eggs, butter, milk, raisins, small curd cottage cheese....."

Siri: displays the entered text

You: "Siri Make checklist"

Siri: creates a checklist saves it and displays it in checklist format (you can add to it later and/or have multiple checklists)

My app does this already with buttons...

All I have to do is expose to Siri:

1) The name of my app (iOS already know it)

2) expose to Siri the meaning of certain phrases, e.g. "Make Checklist" == press "Make Checklist" button.

My app knows what to do when it gets a command in context (whether from Siri or from a button)

• Reply 72 of 97
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

I was in that camp back in my days as a software engineer. I thought that the first Mac was more of a toy than a real computer ("where's the damn command line?!"). Steve Jobs: 1, Me: 0
  • Reply 73 of 97
    Quote:

Yeah... I can still remember a mid-level Apple executive explaining how "click and point" was going to revolutionize how we used computers.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...as work on Siri is "very expensive."

Seriously? So Apple need to postpone a Siri update because it's too expensive for them? Who else find this ridiculous?
  • Reply 75 of 97
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

That may not be possible. Note the inability to turn off '3G' came with MDM66x0 baseband chip, starting with the Verizon iPhone, not with iOS 5.0 as the 3GS and iPhone 4 still have the option under Settings => General => Network. IOW, this might be an issue with the capabilities with the baseband itself. I do hope that by the time '4G'/LTE is available we will get the option to leave it disabled.

If that's the case it looks like I will have to ditch the 4S due to o2's unreliable 3G network. At present I have had to divert my calls to my Skype number so that calls come thru Skype on my iPhone on wifi.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The site claims that Apple will add new voice commands to Siri, allowing users to initiate activities like taking photos...

I can imagine a cool scenario for using this function.

Your family gathers for a group photo. You set-up your iPhone 4S on a little tripod and frame the shot. You walk over and take your place next to your aunt. When everyone's ready, you speak into your connected bluetooth earpiece: "Take a photo in 3 seconds" and take off the earpiece. Siri snaps your family photo.

You check the photo and see that it's too dark. "One more!" you tell everyone as you get back into position. "Another one, this time with flash" you say into the earpiece again.
  • Reply 77 of 97
    xicexice Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

linkgx1

Send Message User Lists

Last Activity: Today 11:37 AM

Current Activity: Replying to Thread Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions

StatisticsFriendsContact Info

Total Posts

Total Posts: 374

Posts Per Day: 9.58

Find all posts by linkgx1

Find all threads started by linkgx1

General Information

Last Activity: Today 11:37 AM

Current Activity: Replying to Thread Apple rumored to issue iOS 5.0.2 for battery woes, iOS 5.1 with Siri additions

+1
  • Reply 78 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I can imagine a cool scenario for using this function.

Your family gathers for a group photo. You set-up your iPhone 4S on a little tripod and frame the shot. You walk over and take your place next to your aunt. When everyone's ready, you speak into your connected bluetooth earpiece: "Take a photo in 3 seconds" and take off the earpiece. Siri snaps your family photo.

You check the photo and see that it's too dark. "One more!" you tell everyone as you get back into position. "Another one, this time with flash" you say into the earpiece again.

You: "Siri, Take a picture"

Siri: "Say cheese..... click!"
  • Reply 79 of 97
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Apparently some people need a life....

Isn't it disturbing?
  • Reply 80 of 97
    I hate to sound negative, I love my 4S, but - my battery issues seem worse with 5.0.1 than with 5.0. I reduced mail fetch to 30 minutes from 15 minutes, all other settings the same as under 5.0 -- in 24 hours I've gone from 100% to 33% with moderate (at most) usage (less than a dozen emails; about 50 minutes aggregate in reading an iBook, some minimal other surfing; no phone calls nor GPS-related functions).