Mac's worldwide market share reaches 15-year high at 5%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple's only growing so fast because of their integrated machines, not because of the DiYer homebrew PCs of yesteryear. The only desktops you can expect from Apple's future are AIOs and minis using notebook-grade components.

iMacs are (IMO) by far the nicest AiO computers, so Apple buyers in that segment are well served.

But Apple could do even better on desktops if they offered some kind of mid range box for those of us (quite a few I think) who don't like AiO's.

This has nothing to do with DiY home-brew and everything to do with not being stuck with a built in monitor.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the article

According to one recent report, the business market is more readily adopting Apple products because it has become "easier to work with." CEO Tim Cook is said to be more willing to work with enterprise customers than his predecessor Steve Jobs.

Does that mean we will get week numbers in iCal soon? I think for many business people the lack of week numbers in iCal must be a reason not to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Um, some people need a portable solution, and the new MBP's are no slouches in the performance department. And there are those who have desktops, laptops and iPads. Each has it's uses.

Absolutely agree with you. There are those that need portability with performance. But I would suggest to you that most think they are getting both portability and power, which they are, but I think they don't need the portable power like they think they do. How many people do graphic design work or serious movie editing on their couch while survivor is on or in a coffee shop (i.e.- distractions)? At least ones I wouldn't hire.

I'm just saying that most moderate lifters who think they need both would be just as (or likely more) productive with an iMac/iPad combo.

Hey- either way they're all the best. I just think the iMac should sell more than it does.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    The world may look beyond the PCs for their computing task - who knows.

Looks like the Chinese market know something that the rest of the world don't that is it is easier to use a mac and with scant resources it is better to spend it on something that will last and isn't is great not to have a nazi IT department.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    I'm proud to say I helped contribute to this growth as I have a new MacBook Pro that I just bought this month!
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

I'm proud to say I helped contribute to this growth as I have a new MacBook Pro that I just bought this month!

welcome to the MacWorld buddy…
  • Reply 27 of 42
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    5%? All this time I thought it was 15%. This is revelatory.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Does that mean we will get week numbers in iCal soon? I think for many business people the lack of week numbers in iCal must be a reason not to buy a Mac.

Overstatement

You don't think "businesspeople" would be using Outlook, anyway?
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

You are just a wealth of useless information! But you are good for at least a good quote a month! I will add this to the ever growing quote list in my sig!

I don't understand why you feel you can just make fun of me. Do you think it's somehow allowed?

Quote:

Didn't you also say the Google was going to collapse? See my sig for your quote! So which is it??? Google is going to collapse or Google is the future???

Honest question: Do you not subscribe to the idea that time moves in a linear fashion?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You should hone your writing skills ('Forever' is a meaninglessly long amount of time = bad sentence)

Mind telling me in what way that sentence is 'bad'?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is just too bad it is mostly laptops. With a decent desktop lineup they could double those growth figures.

Isn't that the truth. Many businesses are never going to touch Apple while the mini and the iMac are the only choices.

Heck, I've been using Macs for 18 years and even I'm not touching the mini or the iMac. Both of them are simply too limiting.

No expandability. The mini is completely neutered without even the option of an optical drive. Businesses are going to want to buy a bunch of external devices to go along with their mini's? No way.

iMac? How many businesses want to keep extra computers on hand just for when the built in screen gives up the ghost? They certainly aren't going to want to buy a separate monitor to place in front of the iMac's dead screen.

That leaves the Mac Pro as the only real option but it is overkill for regular business use.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I wonder how the 5% compares with each of the other top selling PC's. Which ones have a larger % of total PC sales? When the Mac was a PowerPC, it had to stand against all of the Windows PC's. Although it is not a (complete) Windows PC, it is an Intel PC and should only be compared with each of the other Intel PC's.

Hopefully, I have expressed that correctly as I hope to avoid the 'Flames'.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Many businesses are never going to touch Apple while the mini and the iMac are the only choices.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=136040

Quote:

without even the option of an optical drive.

It has USB ports. It's pretty simple to see that you're wrong there.

Quote:

Businesses are going to want to buy a bunch of external devices to go along with their mini's? No way.

Because as we all know, Joe Executive and Jane Accountant regularly ask their tech guy for multiple terabyte hard drive upgrades, better graphics cards, and more RAM for their super-intensive group Excel sessions. Yeah, the Mac Mini, as a 'set it and forget it' computer, couldn't possibly fit the bill for the 700,000,000 computers that just sit under people's desks and do the tasks they're assigned to do.

Quote:

for when the built in screen gives up the ghost?

Except this doesn't, you know, happen. At all. Screens don't just fail. This isn't 1993.

Quote:

That leaves the Mac Pro as the only real option but it is overkill for regular business use.

Mac Mini. Use your existing hardware with it.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    who's standing in the rest of 95%?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

who's standing in the rest of 95%?

Windows has 94% of that. Linux has 1.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Windows has 94% of that. Linux has 1.

Thanks!

Now I understand the article.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't understand why you feel you can just make fun of me. Do you think it's somehow allowed?

Honest question: Do you not subscribe to the idea that time moves in a linear fashion?

Mind telling me in what way that sentence is 'bad'?

Dude...no one is making fun of you!

You contradict yourself....look at your quotes in my sig!

One quote says Google is going to collapse...the other says Google is the future....so which is it....or here ya go...in the FUTURE Google will colapse and cease to exist? There now I helped you make sense of your comments.
  • Reply 37 of 42

From "The Kingdom Gazette" - A.D. 1224 (MCCXXIV)

BASE 10 (X) NUMBER SYSTEM MARKET SHARE UP TO 5% (V%)

Today it was announced that adoption of the Hindu/Arabic Base 10 (X) Number System has now reached 5% (V%).

Although the use of Roman Numerals continues at 95% (LXXXXV%) for Bean Counters and other Business in The Kingdom, a Spokesperson for The Kingdom says ...

"The increase by this Artsy Fartsy Base 10 (X) system, even if only a meager 5% (V%), is disturbing since it indicates some in The Kingdom are not maintaining allegiance to The Kingdom's Mandates that everyone use what The King declares to be the Best System and one that has served us well for 1,000 (M) years."

"We have every confidence that Roman Numerals will continue to be the Future of Numbers and Calculations, and to go against that belief is Treason against The King."

"Anyone caught using the Hindu/Arabic Base 10 (X) Number System, and not using Roman Numerals, will be banished from The Kingdom, have all their lands confiscated, and get a severe rap on their knuckles by the Royal Ruler - as measured in Feet, not Meters."

Comments from those using the Hindu/Arabic Base 10 (X) Number System are not available since they are all busy getting work done in preparation for the Enlightenment, which has been rescheduled to a later date.

• Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

Dude...no one is making fun of you!

You contradict yourself....look at your quotes in my sig!

One quote says Google is going to collapse...the other says Google is the future....so which is it....or here ya go...in the FUTURE Google will colapse and cease to exist? There now I helped you make sense of your comments.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm just confused that you don't believe both futures can exist, hence the comment about the flow of time. Apple, Google, and the third company can easily be the Big Three of tech before Google has their Afghanistan. Someone has to slip up somewhen, I figure it will be Google. There's nothing that says that wouldn't be after a third company comes onto the scene.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is just too bad it is mostly laptops. With a decent desktop lineup they could double those growth figures.

Have you looked lately at laptop vs desktop sales trends over the past five or so years? Desktops are moving pretty definitely into niche market territory.

Considering sales figures include desktop machines sold into corporations, used as POS terminals and so on, it's even worse.

Consider also that schools, which used to be big buyers of desktops are moving strongly toward replacing them with laptops.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You started so wise and ended so dumb.

The companies that will "rule" the computing world (if there even will be such a concept) in 50 years do not yet exist.

Did you somehow miss his "...and a third company that hasn't yet been created."?