Apple exploring universal power adapter to simultaneously charge MacBook, iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Twelvesouth have it all taken care of:

http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/plugbug/

Third party hardware vendors take it in the shorts again.

P.S. The reason it is so cool is that former Apple evangelist Guy Kawasaki is involved.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    This is not anything special . Laptops from other vendors and 3rd parties have this already. I have a kensington brand laopt adapter that goes between different voltages, different tips, car adapter, and a usb port on the side.

All this does is patent one with a magsafe connector at the end.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think so, but I haven't tried in a while.

The problem I see is the dock cords are so short that connecting directly to the power brick means putting the device on the floor near the brick (bad idea) or the brick and device on a table, which can shorten the effective cord length from the brick to the wall.

I tried to charge my phone from my Macbook, but with the Macbook closed a couple of months ago (this is a 2011 Macbook Pro) and it didn't work. I had to leave the Macbook "on" to ensure the phone charged.

To be honest, I assumed there was probably a setting somewhere to change the behavior, but I never looked further into it.

I actually quite like the idea of the power brick for Macbooks having a USB out, since I only have one iPad charger and frequently forget to take that on business trips with me, but I have multiple Macbook chargers.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

might have something to do with power draw...but at the same time I have no actual clue wtf I'm talking about in this regard. lol

That's never stopped you before, so don't let it make you shy now.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    I just want two things in the iPhone 5's physical design:

1. Rounded glass edges. Just a radiuses edge instead of the flat edge of the 4/4S.

2. Magsafe connector.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Twelvesouth have it all taken care of:

http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/plugbug/

BAM! Done and done.

Yeah I usually carry my MBP with power cord and when I want to charge my iphone I just connect via USB to the MBP.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I just want two things in the iPhone 5's physical design:

1. Rounded glass edges. Just a radiuses edge instead of the flat edge of the 4/4S.

2. Magsafe connector.

No MagSafe connector for me! Having that connector the way it is has has saved me more than once from the iPhone hitting the floor!
  • Reply 28 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Thank you!

I have Griffin's 10ft dock cable, but the shell on the dock end is so big that it doesn't fit through the cases I've tried because it's not standard. This one looks it's more normal sized.

I bought the same one. It's s nice hefty cable, but that connector is just too bulky for use with my Bumper.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

that doesn't work with the long power cord.

Yes the long cord is essential when traveling especially to Central America where there are very few outlets in a room such as in older buildings and also in airports. Sometimes older outlets are a little worn out too and the weight of the power brick tends to cause it to fall out. So the plug bug is cool and all but not going to work for me.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

BAM! Done and done.

Yeah I usually carry my MBP with power cord and when I want to charge my iphone I just connect via USB to the MBP.

iPad needs AC power though
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Patenting something that exists?

Anyway, this device sure looks like a game changer!
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Doesn't seem like this new charger would be too difficult for Apple to make, and I'm surprised Apple hadn't already made it. The current Airport Express is the same brick design with built-in LAN, USB, and an audio output jacks.

What I'm really looking for is a slimmer adapter to fit into a sleeve along with my Macbook Air. Maybe something like this HP travel adapter.

• Reply 33 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I bought the same one. It's s nice hefty cable, but that connector is just too bulky for use with my Bumper.

Just to clarify, you bought the one Dlux linked, or did you buy the Griffin cord? I hope it's not like the Griffin for the problem of the shell interference.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Just to clarify, you bought the one Dlux linked, or did you buy the Griffin cord? I hope it's not like the Griffin for the problem of the shell interference.

I bought the Griffin cable.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I tried to charge my phone from my Macbook, but with the Macbook closed a couple of months ago (this is a 2011 Macbook Pro) and it didn't work. I had to leave the Macbook "on" to ensure the phone charged.

Works fine on my MacBook Pro (Early 2011 edition).

But I just ordered one of these "twelvesouth.com" plugbugs as well. Frees up one outlet in my setup at home (now occupied by the Mac and iPad power supplies.)
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Doesn't seem like this new charger would be too difficult for Apple to make, and I'm surprised Apple hadn't already made it. The current Airport Express is the same brick design with built-in LAN, USB, and an audio output jacks.

What I'm really looking for is a slimmer adapter to fit into a sleeve along with my Macbook Air. Maybe something like this HP travel adapter.

Can't resist -"HP can sure build great power adapters." Let's see whether the "A"-guys can adopt the idea of "thin is great" to power adapters as well.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's never stopped you before, so don't let it make you shy now.

got any quotes there guy? or are you just lying again?
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

got any quotes there guy? or are you just lying again?

You do realize that your reply doesn't even make as little sense as your usual posts?

Quotes? Lying? I was just agreeing with you that you didn't know what your were talking about.