Major PC makers plan to concede tablet market to Apple, Amazon in 2012

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Traditional PC makers like Dell and HP believe they have no advantages in the tablet market, and plan to phase out from competing with Apple's iPad, along with low-end tablets from content providers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble, in 2012.

Along with Hewlett-Packard and Dell, other "pure" PC makers like Acer and Asus plan to gradually exit the tablet market next year, industry sources told DigiTimes. The main reason is said to be that they cannot provide content like Apple, Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

So far Apple's iPad has dominated the market, representing nearly all of tablets sold, and hooking in users with its vast App Store selection. But new devices from Amazon and Barnes & Noble aim to take the lower end of the market with prices less than half that of Apple's $499 iPad, and make up the difference through sales of content like books, music and movies.

With tablet hardware prices that low, companies like Dell and HP that don't sell content are unlikely to make a profit, as they can't sell the hardware at a loss like Amazon is rumored to be doing with its new Kindle Fire. Industry sources reportedly said they expect devices from Amazon and Barnes & Noble will eventually be offered for free, serving as content platforms for the companies.

And even with their low prices, sales of newly launched touchscreen tablets from Amazon and Barnes & Noble were not as high as Apple's iPad, which industry insiders see as an indication that "strong enthusiasm for tablet PCs has already disappeared."

If accurate, the news that traditional PC makers have lost interest in the tablet market could be bad news for Microsoft, as the company's forthcoming Windows 8 operating system will feature a tablet-friendly interface. The company unveiled its plans on a prototype device designed by Samsung in September.

HP already attempted to penetrate the tablet market with its own hardware, operating system and application ecosystem, much like Apple, but the webOS-powered TouchPad failed to gain any traction and was quickly discontinued by the company. A year earlier the company partnered with Microsoft to release the HP Slate, but that Windows-powered device also failed as Apple's iPad took over the tablet market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"strong enthusiasm for tablet PCs has already disappeared."

Let's get this right....

"Strong enthusiasm for tablets other than Apple's Ipad have already disappeared"

I for one, am very enthusiastic about the next ipad 3. Which will more than likely incorporate siri. That is the main reason i am waiting to buy an ipad!!
  • Reply 2 of 133
    What I find most interesting in articles like this is when a device is mentioned that I've never heard of. This article led me to look up the 'HP Slate' which led me to the Microsoft...'KIN Phone'. I had to look it up. From what I read it appears you had to take it to the phone shop to transfer contacts from another phone...wow, great idea.

Anyway, this article is good news for Apple, but it's a shame that these other companies just can't get it right. The more products and choices on the market the better for consumers. But then again, out with the old and in with the new, perhaps some newer start ups might fill some of the gaps and replace a few dinosaurs.
  • Reply 3 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenzo View Post

Let's get this right....

"Strong enthusiasm for tablets other than Apple's Ipad have already disappeared"

I for one, am very enthusiastic about the next ipad 3. Which will more than likely incorporate siri. That is the main reason i am waiting to buy an ipad!!

That, and the retina display. Coming from a 1st gen iPad, I can't wait!
  • Reply 4 of 133
    Wow! It's only the fastest growing segment of the computer market!

I'll say one thing, after enjoying my ipad2 for the last few months, I'll most likely, never buy another desktop. But, I'll definitely buy the ipad3 when it comes out! That, along with my ip4, (soon to be a 4s, which is soon to be iP5) and I'm good to go.

If there is a traditional pc in my future, I would probably choose an 11" MBA. Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

P.S. (Off topic) I'm looking to get a print app for my iPad...any suggestions? Thx.
  • Reply 5 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Wow! It's only the fastest growing segment of computer market!

I'll say one thing, after enjoying my ipad2 for the last few months, I'll most likely, never buy another desktop. But, I'll definitely buy the ipad3 when it comes out! That, along with my ip4, (soon to be a 4s, which is soon to be iP5) and I'm good to go.

If there is a traditional pc in my future, I would probably choose an 11" MBA. Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

P.S. (Off topic) I'm looking to get a print app for my iPad...any suggestions? Thx.

That's exactly why people want a PC over an iPad. I love my iPad, but it's not a replacement for a computer. It's an ultra-portable accessory.
  • Reply 6 of 133
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    How will Google expand it's malware riddled Android OS without the help of Dell, Acer and HP? I guess they will have to stick to phones to spread the joy.
  • Reply 7 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenzo View Post

Let's get this right....

I hear u tenzo...it's hard to pull the trigger when a new model is on the horizon. My only regret with my iPad2 is getting the wifi only model instead of the 3G.

I thought I could "tether" it to my ip4...but AT&T said to setup tethering would be $45/mo and I would lose my "grandfathered-in" unlimited data plan! I'm thinking of telling AT&T to stick it up their nose and get a sprint 4s.

Best.
  • Reply 8 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

That's exactly why people want a PC over an iPad. I love my iPad, but it's not a replacement for a computer. It's an ultra-portable accessory.

It's really dependent on what you use a computer for. For a while, Apple defenders hated the label of a *consumption device* for the iPad. Reality is that the iPad is not only a replacement for the PC for some consumption tasks. It is in fact a superior alternative for reading, web browsing and video watching (unless you want it do this on a larger screen). I think we underestimate how many people at home use a computer primarily for these tasks (plus email).
  • Reply 9 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Agreed, but the iPad is closing the gap...I remember getting the original iPhone and I literally stopped carrying my laptop with me every where I went.

I remember telling my friends way back when, my iPhone does about 80% of what my MacBook does. Now, with the iPad2 it's closer to 95%. no doubt, the iPad can't replace a pc (yet) for everything, but I have noticed I don't use my printer anywhere near as much as I used to. I also don't fart around with my website as much and my reports are simpler and easier to update.
  • Reply 10 of 133
    I heard a lot about buyers remorse over the iPad, the only remorse I had was buying a Wifi only. I won't make that mistake again...iPad 3 3g here I come ... when it comes out. With a 3g PAYG chip it really comes into it's own. With (hopefully) Siri on board it will be a must have machine!
  • Reply 11 of 133
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

Of course I have something like 15 million pixels across 6 monitors on my desktop - being constrained to a single iPad screen worth of information is not very conducive to my daily work productivity.

I have an iPad and will very likely be getting another (iPad 3 in 1Q12 would be nice). and I do use it to remotely access both my MacBook (with 2 external monitors) and my ThinkPad (also with two external monitors) - but that is in a pinch sort of thing - doesn't really cut it for for heavy duty production. Of course even a single notebook with built in 1920x1050 monitor feels cramped to me when I travel.
  • Reply 12 of 133
    PC manufacturers giving up the tablet platform. Hurrah. That sounds like absolutely great news for Apple shareholders. I had a strong feeling that Apple's economies of scale and multi-product ecosystem would be too much for competitors to cope with. Now I won't have to constantly hear those Wall Street jackasses talking about how the iPad is going to be overwhelmed by a gazillion tablet vendors selling $200 Android tablets. If there really is a tablet market, Apple appears to be the overwhelming favorite from this point forward.
  • Reply 13 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

It's really dependent on what you use a computer for. For a while, Apple defenders hated the label of a *consumption device* for the iPad. Reality is that the iPad is not only a replacement for the PC for some consumption tasks. It is in fact a superior alternative for reading, web browsing and video watching (unless you want it do this on a larger screen). I think we underestimate how many people at home use a computer primarily for these tasks (plus email).

Well said. Anecdotal I know, but before my ipad2, my GF would go to our iMac in the den for facebook, emailing, photo mgt, surfing, etc., instead of using her work laptop (dell-ugh!). Now she goes straight for the iPad2 sitting on the coffee table...I get asked a lot, " r u almost done with the iPad?" of course, I correct her and tell her it's an "iPad2!".
  • Reply 14 of 133
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The nay-sayers did. I was never in doubt.
  • Reply 15 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

I heard a lot about buyers remorse over the iPad, the only remorse I had was buying a Wifi only. I won't make that mistake again...iPad 3 3g here I come ... when it comes out. With a 3g PAYG chip it really comes into it's own. With (hopefully) Siri on board it will be a must have machine!

Ditto.
  • Reply 16 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

How will Google expand it's malware riddled Android OS without the help of Dell, Acer and HP? I guess they will have to stick to phones to spread the joy.

Simple, do as Amazon does, tightly control the content same as iTunes. You put actual safeguards in place and tight App control for your market place, malware will be non-existent. The Fire is an Android product but only has access to the Amazon market. Now if someone roots it, that is on them.
  • Reply 17 of 133
    Content and content delivery is the future. The iPad demonstrated the desire of people to have an extremely portable device that can flood a user with content. Amazon and B&N will now be able to capitalize on Apple's extremely successful gamble, the iPad. The PC manufactures know that people want content. If the iPad did not have the App store or iTunes it just would not be that popular. HP, Dell ect.... just can not compete with Apple, B&N and Amazon when it comes to content delivery.
  • Reply 18 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

PC manufacturers giving up the tablet platform. Hurrah. ... If there really is a tablet market, Apple appears to be the overwhelming favorite from this point forward.

This means the Microsoft world is losing -correction: will never get- its grip on the tablet market.

In the mean time, iPads and MacBook Airs are overtaking the netbook (and part of the laptop) market;

iPhone quickly takes over smartphone market;

Flash is going to crash (in a different way that it did before: on your computer);

Quicktime is trumping the Windows Media Player monopoly;

The list goes on and on.

Bye-bye Microsoft.

P.S.

I failed to mention 2 considerations w.r.t. Adobe:

- the fact that Flash development will evolve into html5 and flash conversion tools, the danger still remains of Adobe trying to force foreign user interfaces on computer (mainly web browser) users.

- Now that Adobe finally is getting its act together as far as the use of CoCoa goes, and the use of XCode as a development environment, and the Mac's market share has been rising continuously, Adobe may be shifting back its emphasis to the Mac platform, away from Windows.
  • Reply 19 of 133
    Wow, these guys are a bunch of pussies. A couple years into a brand new market and they're ready to throw in the towel. I predict a major shift in leadership. If they truly concede the tablet market, they may as well close shop altogether. In five years laptops will be bygones and desktops will be expensive powerhouses that only a handful of people need. And guess who will be selling the best desktops by supplementing sales with smartphones and tablets? (hint: not Hp or Dell)
  • Reply 20 of 133
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."

-- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

-- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."

-- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?"

-- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

-- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."

-- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

-- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible."

-- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face not Gary Cooper."

-- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make."

-- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields'Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."

-- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."

-- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this."

-- Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"

-- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."

-- 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's revolutionary rocket work.

"You want to have consistent and uniform muscle development across all of your muscles? It can't be done. It's just a fact of life. You just have to accept inconsistent muscle development as an unalterable condition of weight training."

-- Response to Arthur Jones, who solved the "unsolvable" problem by inventing Nautilus.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."

-- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."

-- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."

-- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

-- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction".

-- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon".

-- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

-- Bill Gates, 1981

"$100 million dollars is way too much to pay for Microsoft."

-- IBM, 1982

"Who the h_ll wants to hear actors talk?"

-- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.