AppleCare+ now available 30 days after purchase

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has amended the terms for its AppleCare+ iPhone warranty and accidental damage coverage, allowing customers 30 days to opt in to the service that was previously only available at time of purchase.

The new extended window is reflected on the company's AppleCare+ site, along with a brief overview of what is covered under the new service Apple launched alongside the iPhone 4S in October.

When the $99 plan was initially announced in October, Apple noted that AppleCare+ must be purchased alongside the iPhone it would cover, however the warranty was unavailable when the company began taking iPhone 4S pre-orders. Subsequently, early adopters didn't have a chance to buy the extended coverage, and were seemingly not able to do so retroactively.

In a later email from Apple, customers not given the option to add on AppleCare+ when they pre-ordered online were offered an extended Nov. 14 deadline to purchase the warranty separately.

As the deadline passed, it was thought Apple would revert the terms back to requiring AppleCare+ be purchased alongside a new iPhone, however the company has opted to continue allowing customers 30 days to sign up for the service.

Under the new guidelines, new iPhone customers who decide to get the warranty after purchase must first bring the unit to a Genius Bar for inspection to ensure the handset is damage free. Proof of purchase is also required.

AppleCare+ extends the standard warranty to two years and for the first time covers up to two accidental damage claims, each subject to a $49 service fee.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    If I am not mistaken this was already available. I bought a bunch of Apple products in 2007 and was able to purchase an Apple Care later.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

If I am not mistaken this was already available. I bought a bunch of Apple products in 2007 and was able to purchase an Apple Care later.

This is a different product. AppleCare+ is not AppleCare.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Wait, I thought they said that you have a year from purchase date (granted you have ot have a pristine phone)? So confused....
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Wait, I thought they said that you have a year from purchase date (granted you have ot have a pristine phone)? So confused....

As posted before, this is AppleCare+ which is different from the old AppleCare.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    So If I read this right, buyers of AppleCare+ are essentially betting $148 ($99+$49) that they're going to drop their iPhones once (or $197 that they'll drop it twice). Or one could spend $30 on a good case and be allowed to drop it as many times as one likes. I know what I'd choose.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

?a good case? ?allow[s one] to drop it as many times as one likes.

Which cases are these that stop the screen from shattering?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

So If I read this right, buyers of AppleCare+ are essentially betting $148 ($99+$49) that they're going to drop their iPhones once (or $197 that they'll drop it twice). Or one could spend $30 on a good case and be allowed to drop it as many times as one likes. I know what I'd choose.

You're forgetting that AppleCare also covers against manufacturer defect for that additional year as well. In essence the bet is only $30 for accidental damage since that's the premium over the former $69 AppleCare
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which cases are these that stop the screen from shattering?

Toughcases. They keep it protected even from water.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    They have to do this because when i bought mine at att they did not offer me apple care.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

They have to do this because when i bought mine at att they did not offer me apple care.

No, they don't "have" to do this. This isn't standard AppleCare, and standard AppleCare doesn't "have" to be offered at point of sale. You can buy it whenever in that first year.

But again, this isn't standard AppleCare.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    U.S. only?

** Sigh... **
  • Reply 12 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    An extra $30 for two accidental damages in two years replaced for $49/each that will move with the device, not the original owner? That's definitely worth it. Hell, I might even bust one on purpose an spend the $49 if you get a new battery and in the original casing if you're going to resell it.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

U.S. only?

** Sigh... **

Here in Europe you have two years warranty always. It's the law. And Apple tries everything to not have to comply to that law, which is extremely annoying when you have something Apple that is broken.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

U.S. only?

** Sigh... **

In some cases you are in a better position than the American counterparts. EU law requires that a 2 year warranty protection policy be extended to all devices. The stipulation is that the defect has to be a manufactures defect. I have home insurance that replaced to iPad for ?150 combined when they broke, but when my keyboard died on my MBP at one year and one month, the insurance did not cover this. However, EU law did and Apple fixed it for free.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I went over Apple store at Millennia Mall, they said is not Valid for Florida, you have to buy (iPhone + applecare+) at the same time.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Melendez View Post

I went over Apple store at Millennia Mall, they said is not Valid for Florida, you have to buy (iPhone + applecare+) at the same time.

That's not correct. The law in Florida is trying to protect customers from telemarketing scams. Make an appointment at an Apple Store Genius and have them or a manager call AppleCare. Make sure you have your device and the receipt so you can get the appropriate info from it.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Is AppleCare no longer available? What does AppleCare+ offer above the normal AppleCare?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Here in Europe you have two years warranty always. It's the law. And Apple tries everything to not have to comply to that law, which is extremely annoying when you have something Apple that is broken.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

In some cases you are in a better position than the American counterparts. EU law requires that a 2 year warranty protection policy be extended to all devices. The stipulation is that the defect has to be a manufactures defect. I have home insurance that replaced to iPad for ?150 combined when they broke, but when my keyboard died on my MBP at one year and one month, the insurance did not cover this. However, EU law did and Apple fixed it for free.

Thanks for the replies

I wasn't aware of the 2 year warranty protection policy. However, my main concern is in regards to the accidental damage which I'm sure is not part of the EU warranty protection.

I'm currently with O2 here in the UK and their iPhone insurance is £12.50 a month. With my 12 month contract I'll be paying £150 just for insurance. Then there is the £80 or so excess to pay just for making a claim...

I never usually purchase insurance but I've witnessed many friends/family/colleagues who have damaged their phones recently and have then had to folk out for a new one.

Assuming Apple charged £99 for AppleCare+ and £49 service fee, this is much better value than what I can find anywhere else. The fact that it is also for 2 years, they provide support for iOS, they resolve connectivity issues between your device and your Mac/PC and you can deal direct with Apple makes it a very attractive option....

BTW, I don't work for Apple!!