Galaxy Nexus web benchmarks outpace iPhone 4S as 'Woz' picks up early copy

Comments

• Reply 101 of 135
    re: "Woz picks up an early copy (of the nexus)"

Just to be picky, this is a horrible construction and quite impossible on the face of it.

There is no such a thing as an "early copy" of a phone, nexus or otherwise. Nor is there really such a thing as a "copy" of a phone in the first place, unless we are talking about an illegal copy of the nexus design. A phone is not a newspaper or a magazine.

"Woz picks/picked up his Nexus early," is closer to the correct phrasing of what you wanted to say.
  • Reply 102 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

As opposed to the 4S, which is clearly doing very well with battery life. 5.01 was supposed to address it and made things worse for some and now they are working on 5.02 for battery life. I know some will say they have no issues, but I know an equal amount who have terrible life, including me.

Your just trolling as usual.

There is a big big difference between a phone that has built in bad battery life and a phone that is produced in vast quantities but has a tiny percentage of users with a battery problem.
  • Reply 103 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

And there is more to GPUs than games. BUT coming from an OS that only recently got SCROLLING right, you probably don' t have the faintest idea.

How has the slower GPU test results on your iPhone4 (or 3GS) impacted your enjoyment of your smartphone? The difference between the 4S and 4G must surely be so stark that last years phone must feel completely unusable.
  • Reply 104 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Oh come on... at least make a shred of thinking effort!

v1 = iPhone

v2 = iPhone 3g

v3 = iPhone 3gs

v4 = iPhone 4

v5 = iPhone 4s

v6 = iPhone 5

"v6" will never be "iPhone5"

It is the sixth iteration, it will come with iOS 6.

Why on earth would they call it "iPhone 5"?

Even just from a marketing perspective, why would they want to associate it with the past? Why would they want to associate it with the failed predictions and hopes of all the pundits *this* year? It would just make it seem like they *were* "supposed" to come out with iPhone 5 this year but failed so here it is a year late? That's awful messaging.

There's no real evidence at all that anything other than the iPhone 4s was planned for this year. All that other crap about the iPhone 5 was just media speculation and hype.

"iPhone 5" will never exist. Just like there never was an "iPhone 2."
  • Reply 105 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Sounds like someone is getting paid nicely!!!

I don't understand the level of reverence the tech community seems to have for Topolosky, Engadget, and now "The Verge."

Topolosky himself is very frequently dead wrong about major issues. Worse, he has at least twice in recent memory completely fallen for gag posts and misdirection from hoaxers and Apple Inc. He has come out and stated categorical things about future iPhones in particular that turned out to be not only completely wrong but embarrassingly so. Yet his reputation somehow remains intact.

Engadget is only second in the juvenile hijinks category behind Gizmodo. They regularly ban people from the comments they don't like or that disagree with them and are really quite unprofessional in general.

The Verge, seems to be more professional overall, but like "This is My Next" before it, is possible one of the most boring sites on the Internet. I can't think of a messier, more confusingly laid out POS tech site than the Verge. It looks more like a magazine than a website but functions poorly all the same.

This is in fact the clue to why Topolosky et al. are so awful at what they do. They don't really want to be tech bloggers at all, they want to be magazine producers and TV "personalities." All those guys at the Verge are too wrapped up in dreams of their own fame and fortune and too full of themselves to actually do the job they set out to do.
  • Reply 106 of 135
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Its sad to Woz get caught getting a Nexus if Steve was around he probably would of thought twice perhaps this a sign of things to come from Apple not good.. and to be honest I actually like the new Nexus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

Woz may be getting one for research purposes. Know your enemy. Do a little reverse engineering to see how it ticks.

Both of you are either relatively new to Woz-watching or wearing tinfoil hats. He IS that "nice guy" everybody talks about, but he's been pulling stunts that would be likely to either embarrass Apple or piss them off for decades to the point Cupertino's inured to his doings.

But he's never done these things for malicious reasons, just geek and having fun ones. He doesn't have to camp out in front of Apple Stores to get his iPhones either - he simply enjoys being a public personality. Hello, "Dancing with the Stars"?? Being followed around by cameras to be part of reality show when dating his comedienne? Going everywhere on his Segway.... ...Never saw Jobs doing anything resembling any of those....

Remember also that his career began as a prankster - his first real invention - as a "phone phreak" was a "blue box" to make (illegal) free long-distance calls. And that he started CA's first "dial a joke" line - on which he told all of the jokes.

His "job" at Apple is purely an honorarium for his original contributions and most of his directorships and such are likely more for his fame (or original association with the company) than tech or business expertise.

While he had good to arguably great chops in the garage days of computing, he hasn't kept up with the tech except at the tinkering level, and he's never, ever been a businessman. No killer instinct - he left all that part to Steve. Sure he's founded a lot of companies and sits on boards - but not a blockbuster enterprise in the bunch.

He's more interested in living and having a good time. He's already a bigger part of history than he ever imagined and is very well off to boot. And who's to begrudge him that??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Is Woz an enemy of Google? Or is Woz an enemy of Samsung?

Maybe both? Is he really still on our side? Maybe he's a double-agent or a secret spy?

Who else is Woz's enemy? Does he need better security?

If Google is his enemy, he's better watch out, because all his Android stuff constantly tells Google Woz's every move with all of the spyware. Android is spyware. And Google is Pure Evil. They are capable of just about anything.

Is Woz in danger?

I think you're writing with tongue in cheek here, but in any case, he was in more danger hanging out with Kathy Griffin.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

He does seem like a nice, fun person to hang out with... and build stuff with. You'd wish he'd be young and you could start some kind of company with a fruit logo

As long as he was the engineer and you were the biz half.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Maybe a banana.

Hehh. You said "banana."
  • Reply 107 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Oh come on... at least make a shred of thinking effort!

v1 = iPhone

v2 = iPhone 3g

v3 = iPhone 3gs

v4 = iPhone 4

v5 = iPhone 4s

v6 = iPhone 5

Wow, how'd I go this long without tearing this apart?

Here we go, I'll just steal from myself for this. Hopefully we can put it to rest once and for all.

First iPhone. Called iPhone. No suffix. Makes perfect sense.

Second iPhone. Gets a redesign. They could have called it the iPhone 2, but since it also added 3G telephony, that was the highlight and it became the iPhone 3G.

Third iPhone. Same case design. Same telephony generation as previous, but faster. At this stage, iPhone 3 wouldn't have made sense, as cognitively it sounds like they're going backwards. Alphabetically and hierarchically, "3G" sounds newer/higher on the scale than "3". Hence 3GS, highlighting speed.

Fourth iPhone. Case redesign. Same telephony generation as previous. Because no telephony was changed but the case was, Apple went with a generation name to distinguish it. Hence iPhone 4.

Fifth iPhone. Same case design. Same telephony generation as previous, but faster. Does this sound familiar? Hence 4S. Highlighting speed.

IF. *pause for effect* IF. the next iPhone gets a case redesign, we'll have another scenario like the 1st gen to the 2nd gen. We haven't had one of those since. So what's logical, according to Apple's own past naming conventions? Naming the device after the generation of telephony it will get is logical (And while the iPhone receiving LTE is as equally 'IF' as a case redesign, I'm going to assume it will happen for the sake of the argument. First, there's a new generation of LTE chips coming out with power draws at the level Apple likes. Second, I'm sure you're an LTE proponent, too. But I digress.).

So what does that mean? Will we see an iPhone 4G next? No. Apple themselves have said that they are letting the carriers decide what is and is not 4G. That's why the iPhone 4S isn't marketed as having 4G by Apple, even though AT&T thinks their abject laziness allows them to call 4G whatever they want it called.

So how about a tighter-fitting name? iPhone LTE, perhaps? I've thrown that off the table, but you can pick it up if you want. There's only a very, VERY slight chance that Apple would use it, as they didn't call the iPhone 3G the "iPhone HSPA" and they didn't call the iPhone 3GS the "iPhone HSPA+". Apple doesn't name devices after a specific subset of cellular telephony, just the broader generation thereof.

So what does that leave? If Apple doesn't call it the 4G or the LTE, the only thing left, based on Apple's OWN HISTORY of naming devices, is to name it after the generation of device.
  • Reply 108 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Made the Jump from iPhone 3g to Droid X

At this time I'm just using the phone (When it works) until the contract runs out.

The phone has been buggy with every update. For me I can honestly say the phone is crap.

Would rather use a Motorola Startac than this POS Android Phone

I work at AT&T and this is the story of my life, people calling in all day who have moved to an android phone loves it for the first few months then calls in saying its buggy, crashes, slow, message app crashes in the background and tries to get us to replace it with a iPhone.
  • Reply 109 of 135
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course. Are iPhone 4 owners complaining about 3D performance? I think not, and even this Nexus reference phone is performing three times better than the 4 on a GPU test (FWIW)

To repeat, the Nexus was not designed to be nor is it going to be the king of Android performance. They intentionally designed it with common hardware, letting the software take center stage. As Apple buffs often say, who cares about the specs, it's the total experience that counts. There's not many complaints so far about the big leap Google has taken with Android 4.x, and the "total experience" has been overwhelmingly positive in nearly every review.

'nuff said.

The total experience being that Google totally owns your a$$ once you touch Android.
  • Reply 110 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course. Are iPhone 4 owners complaining about 3D performance? I think not, and even this Nexus reference phone is performing three times better than the 4 on a GPU test (FWIW)

To repeat, the Nexus was not designed to be nor is it going to be the king of Android performance. They intentionally designed it with common hardware, letting the software take center stage. As Apple buffs often say, who cares about the specs, it's the total experience that counts. There's not many complaints so far about the big leap Google has taken with Android 4.x, and the "total experience" has been overwhelmingly positive in nearly every review.

'nuff said.

This is the kind of shit that makes you sound like a troll. Ending your comment with "'nuff said" like it was some sort of "Yo, Mama!' joke on the streets, and this crap about Apple doesn't care about specs.

Apple clearly focuses more on the specifications of their products more than any other their competitors. It's how they were able to figure out how to mill a quality notebook at a reasonable price from a solid piece of aluminium. It's how they were able to continually make the iPhone's screen thinner, brighter and more true to the image being shown. How they were about specify what aspects of their A-chip to optimum performance. It's how they are able to get industry leading battery life from their products without the need for an extended battery. It's all about specs. What it's not about, it focusing on a couple specs that look good on a spec sheet while ignoring the rest of the product because they aren't directly marketable to customers.

That's the Apple difference.
  • Reply 111 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

"v6" will never be "iPhone5"

It is the sixth iteration, it will come with iOS 6.

Why on earth would they call it "iPhone 5"?

Even just from a marketing perspective, why would they want to associate it with the past? Why would they want to associate it with the failed predictions and hopes of all the pundits *this* year? It would just make it seem like they *were* "supposed" to come out with iPhone 5 this year but failed so here it is a year late? That's awful messaging.

There's no real evidence at all that anything other than the iPhone 4s was planned for this year. All that other crap about the iPhone 5 was just media speculation and hype.

"iPhone 5" will never exist. Just like there never was an "iPhone 2."

They should just call it iPhone, tbh. Although I imagine they'll do away with the numbering should they choose to diversify the iPhone product line like they did with the iPod.
  • Reply 112 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is the kind of shit that makes you sound like a troll. Ending your comment with "'nuff said" like it was some sort of "Yo, Mama!' joke on the streets, and this crap about Apple doesn't care about specs.

Apple clearly focuses more on the specifications of their products more than any other their competitors. It's how they were able to figure out how to mill a quality notebook at a reasonable price from a solid piece of aluminium. It's how they were able to continually make the iPhone's screen thinner, brighter and more true to the image being shown. How they were about specify what aspects of their A-chip to optimum performance. It's how they are able to get industry leading battery life from their products without the need for an extended battery. It's all about specs. What it's not about, it focusing on a couple specs that look good on a spec sheet while ignoring the rest of the product because they aren't directly marketable to customers.

That's the Apple difference.

So you are or aren't complaining about the performance of your older 4G? If not, then what's the point of some posts intimating that somehow the less than amazing 3D GPU performance of the Nexus will result in a poor user experience? Much ado about nothing IMO. From your posts I guess only some specs are important, the ones that favor Apple.

To be clear, I've never stated Apple doesn't care about specs. That comes from Apple users here in the forums as you clearly know.
  • Reply 113 of 135
    Quote:

This is in fact the clue to why Topolosky et al. are so awful at what they do. They don't really want to be tech bloggers at all, they want to be magazine producers and TV "personalities." All those guys at the Verge are too wrapped up in dreams of their own fame and fortune and too full of themselves to actually do the job they set out to do.

So, rather than respond to what Topolsky actually said, you're just hurling invective and making personal attacks.

For the sake of argument, let's say you're right and ignore Topolsky's review. What about the other (mostly) positive reviews from Wired, Mashable, Engadget, Techradar, T3, Stuff, Which, and MobileSyrup? Are all of their authors pretentious poseurs or secretly on the take from Google?

From reading these posts, I'm starting to think that it's not enough for Apple to build a successful product, but that every other vendor's products have to be denigrated as absolutely worthless garbage. Why is it so hard for folks to admit that maybe, just maybe, Google and Samsung have built a product that people might actually want to buy?
  • Reply 114 of 135
    Quote:

I don't understand the level of reverence the tech community seems to have for Topolosky, Engadget, and now "The Verge."

Topolosky himself is very frequently dead wrong about major issues. Worse, he has at least twice in recent memory completely fallen for gag posts and misdirection from hoaxers and Apple Inc. He has come out and stated categorical things about future iPhones in particular that turned out to be not only completely wrong but embarrassingly so. Yet his reputation somehow remains intact.

Engadget is only second in the juvenile hijinks category behind Gizmodo. They regularly ban people from the comments they don't like or that disagree with them and are really quite unprofessional in general.

The Verge, seems to be more professional overall, but like "This is My Next" before it, is possible one of the most boring sites on the Internet. I can't think of a messier, more confusingly laid out POS tech site than the Verge. It looks more like a magazine than a website but functions poorly all the same.

Which sites would you recommend over The Verge for gadget news and reviews? I think it's a fine site but if there's better stuff out there I'd like to know.
  • Reply 115 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

It would seem that the masses disagree with you.

Indeed, as time goes by, more and more people choose Android over iOS. Increasing proportions - more and more - people look at an iPhone, and decide that they would rather get an Android phone.

There are many factors that go into their decision. Increasingly, they see their friends Android phones, like them, and decide to get one. Increasingly, they compare the screens, and despite the iPhone's specs, they choose the big screen over the small one. Increasingly, they consider the advantages of 4G, hear that the iPhone is incapable, and choose Android.

But what of the home interoperability? What about hooking up a Mac with content and AirDrive and Time Capsules and online cloud storage and listening to Lady Gaga no matter where you are on the face of the earth? Very very few people own any Apple anything, except maybe an old iPhone, or maybe an Ipad or the iPod that lies broken in a drawer.

The number of integrated Apple homes is vanishingly small because so few people own Macs. Without a Mac, Android is King. And almost nobody owns a Mac.

This post is full of all kinds of hallf baked silliness.

For one, Apple's market share is rock solid. Android is not chipping away at Apple, but is taking share from WebOS, BB, and Windows mobile.

Also, android sales numbers are rooted in garbage phones that can barely run Angry Birds, so who cares how many more phones Android sells. Developers are not investing in android, iOS is still the priority and where the resources are going. iOS makes far more money for content creators.

As for your ramblings about the Apple eco system, it's far too silly to respond to, and shows you don't understand the iPhone and how it fits into the big picture.
  • Reply 116 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: Gatorguy can have his poorly engineered HW and OS that' trying to keep up with 2 generation old iPhones.
  • Reply 117 of 135
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

From reading these posts, I'm starting to think that it's not enough for Apple to build a successful product, but that every other vendor's products have to be denigrated as absolutely worthless garbage. Why is it so hard for folks to admit that maybe, just maybe, Google and Samsung have built a product that people might actually want to buy?

I wonder that myself sometimes.
  • Reply 118 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The Galaxy Nexus isn't 4G either, so I fail to see what purpose your feigned outrage serves.

Yes it is.,,,
  • Reply 119 of 135
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    edit: nm
  • Reply 120 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So what does that leave? If Apple doesn't call it the 4G or the LTE, the only thing left, based on Apple's OWN HISTORY of naming devices, is to name it after the generation of device.

The iPhone 4G.

Same case design, with a bigger screen of the same resolution.