Microsoft to follow Apple's Lion lead with digital delivery of Windows 8

Comments

• Reply 101 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

A hacker could sneak their malware into this digital download process, maybe mid-stream?

HOW? Is that physically possible?

And isn't there a file-consistency check at the end of the download that would red-flag any bits out of place?
  • Reply 102 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

I wish it wouldn't:

I want to unplug my 2.5" hard disk from my Mac, I tell it to eject from finder, you hear the disk rev down and click the read-write head back into position so its then safe to carry around. I Tell the same disk to eject from my windows computer, the thing is still spinning at full speed with the write head (most likely) still hovering over the disk surface. The only option I have is to yank out the USB cable cutting power to the disk without it actually receiving any instruction to power down! A slight shock without power and that disk is done for

When you unplug a hard drive either internal or USB the heads automatically park themselves into the safe zone upon power down. This has been the case for many years now on all ATA drives. You have nothing to worry about.

I totally agree with what you're saying though, the mouse thing drives me nuts on a Windows box. I believe the difference between the two is because PCs use BIOS and Macs use EFI so, on Windows the mouse is handled by the Windows driver but on a Mac the mouse driver is handled by the EFI firmware so no need to wait for plug'n'play to kick in.
  • Reply 103 of 127
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axual View Post

Microsoft ... as thick as a whale omelet.

Did yo just make that up, or is it an old expression?

I've never heard it before. It is an Alaska thing?
  • Reply 104 of 127
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Isn't the title of this article wrong? Didn't Apple copy the Linux Distro's and use digital distribution?
  • Reply 105 of 127
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is the best news in the whole story. I am SOOOOOO sick of having to enter Microsoft's 25 digit code every time I install a Microsoft product.

Use windows loader then. You don't have to pay Microsoft either if you use that.
  • Reply 106 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Except for being an internet-based option that is pretty much the opposite of simple. MS is following Apple lead here, as usual.

Apple's lead or the lead from most of the software industry?
  • Reply 107 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And isn't there a file-consistency check at the end of the download that would red-flag any bits out of place?

I agree. If this was at all possible, you would be at risk during any on line down load, Netflix, even iCloud downloads. Trying to take a download and insert data into the middle would fail the checksum.
  • Reply 108 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Is Apple going to copy the hardware prices of Window based machines?

Only if they decide to make them all out of plastic with crappy trackpads and a sub-standard Windows OS.
  • Reply 109 of 127
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

More. Seriously.

Not really. My Lion installation, with all of my own files and folders (about 450GB) only has 795,000 files. You can check it out in Disk Utility by selecting the disk in the left column and reading the statistics at the bottom of the window.
  • Reply 110 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Not really. My Lion installation, with all of my own files and folders (about 450GB) only has 795,000 files. You can check it out in Disk Utility by selecting the disk in the left column and reading the statistics at the bottom of the window.

Ah. Deleting a Time Machine backup will delete over a million. Must've gotten confused.
  • Reply 111 of 127
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:

Ah. Deleting a Time Machine backup will delete over a million. Must've gotten confused.

That'll do it. My Time Machine drive has almost 6 million files. And I forgot that Lion's Time Machine keeps backups on the local disk when a Mac isn't connected to the Time Machine drive.
  • Reply 112 of 127
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

It's always been stupid Microsoft have offered 10+ versions of one OS. Also if you get professional, it bugs you to buy Ultimate? Huh

Also, Lion was £29, Windows 8 is £150+, people aint gonna be as willing.

Also Windows 8 includes what, a tablet UI made for kittens?? If you want to upgrade just for that when you don't even have a touchscreen.

ill know when windows is great when steve balmer laughs at it and calls it a joke..like he did with the iphone.
  • Reply 113 of 127
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Microsoft has been delivering software as downloads for years and years in their partner program. They were the first to distribute software by download, to partners and corporations. At the time, they were the only ones whose internet connections made it practical.

Apple is the first to distribute an operating system by download to consumers.

I tell people that I am a Microsoft Certified Professional, and that's why I use a Mac.
  • Reply 114 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Except for being an internet-based option that is pretty much the opposite of simple. MS is following Apple lead here, as usual.

Seriously that is your answer? You are fooking brainwashed!

So Lion uses the Mac App store and Windows 7 uses the microsoft online store. Windows 7 did it first. Snow leopard was not availble online...Windows 7 was.
  • Reply 115 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I can imagine quite a few disasters during the process as numerous pop ups tell users they need to click here and there to update this and that and that this has failed and that this was unable to find a driver. Windows will no doubt try to run an update the current version for many at the same times as it is downloading the new version and none of this takes into account the anti virus software trying to do its thing, or even their things. I've lost count of the PC users I have helped that had three or four anti virus programs all checking everything even though most had expired, they simply didn't have the latest databases but were still chugging along competing for CPU cycles and disk access...

Oh this will be fun.

The Windows 7 online install (came before Lion), would pop up and ask you if it could disable specific programs to prevent what you speak of. The user had the very difficult task of clicking on "yes". Maybe they can make it read your mind with Windows 8?
  • Reply 116 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

It's important to keep in mind that the App Store approach to downloading application and OS software is an integrated approach (information, selection, billing, delivery), whereas the MS download approach is piecemeal at best. Recall that when Win 7 came out, there was an option for educators and students to download the upgrade. It went something like this:

1. Go to the MS site and enter your academic credentials. Typically requiring a .edu e-mail address. Or go to another web site for information on mailing a copy of your current class enrollment schedule.

2. Wait to receive an e-mail or hard copy of the URL to purchase the upgrade.

3. Go the the dowload URL and select either the Home or Professional version. Then select either the 32 or 64 bit version (where applicable).

4. Go to the next web site where you can enter your billing information.

5. Wait to receive an e-mail containing the appropriate download link. E-mail also contains the MS serial number.

6. Download the 3-4 Gb file.

While this cumbersome and convoluted process did eventually deliver an OS upgrade download, it's hardly an Apple-type Store. More like MS cludging bits and pieces together to make it APPEAR to be something new and different.

Ok yeah so for non .edu folks it went like this.

1. Go to the micorosfot online store, choose digital delivery.

2. Enter your credit card info if you have never purchased anything there (likely)

3. Click downloand and install.

4. Say yes to shutting off specific apps that may cause a problem with the install.

vs Lion

1. Go to the Mac App store, choose Lion.

2. Enter your credit card info if you have not before...and create an Apple ID as well possibly.

3. Click Install (downloads a 3.6gig file..looking at the file now on my NAS)

4. It may pop up telling some apps are NOT Lion compatible.

Amazing difference.
  • Reply 117 of 127
    Quote:

Oh I guess they hack the certficate used for SSL, the 2048bit one??????????????????? Yeah probably happen day 2?

The fanboy shite on this site is amazing.
  • Reply 118 of 127
    Quote:

Isn't that just the perfect expression? Tilted head, slightly furrowed eyebrows, and just a hint of a smile.

And I see you still have Installer installed.

That's some serious "ohl-schul", son. Back in the iPhone OS 2.0 days.

not only installer, but he has NES too… and the looks of it i'm sure it is iPhone 1st generation…
  • Reply 119 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

Seriously that is your answer? You are fooking brainwashed!

So Lion uses the Mac App store and Windows 7 uses the microsoft online store. Windows 7 did it first. Snow leopard was not availble online...Windows 7 was.

you can't install windows 7 directly after downloading it, you need to make a DVD or bootable USB drive whereas Lion can be installed directly… so solips argument is right that apple is first for this thing and microsoft is following them…
  • Reply 120 of 127
    Heh, even quicker to pirate and distribute I imagine don't have to wait for the retail version getting pressed just ESD.