Airport & Ethernet in harmony? If only it were true.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This drives me absolutely nuts. I'm basically the tech director of an elementary school. I also run and maintain the computer lab. A couple of iMacs that were going unused in the library were moved to the computer lab recently. The room unfortunately is set up so that it would be very difficult to run ethernet cable to these computers without either using a ton of cable or creating a tripping hazard. The "server" computer in the lab has an airport card. These new computers also have airport cards. Why can't the server see both the wireless network and the ethernet network at the same time so I can manage these computers with Network Assistant? I know using an actual base station will correct this problem, however, being a poor public school, we can't afford one. Does anyone have a work around or do I have to run wire around a whiteboard, two windows, and a doorway?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>This sounds like an OS 9 issue, is it? If they are running 9 you are out of luck, start running cable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, damn. Believe me, we would upgrade to OS X but we can't afford remote desktop at the moment. So airport and ethernet can be accessed at the same time under X?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Exercise in Frivolity:

<strong>

Yes, damn. Believe me, we would upgrade to OS X but we can't afford remote desktop at the moment. So airport and ethernet can be accessed at the same time under X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. Very easily in fact. If remote desktop is too expensive, can you use VNC?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent:

<strong>

Yes. Very easily in fact. If remote desktop is too expensive, can you use VNC?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No. I use all the features of Network Assistant and it would be impossible to give that up to switch to OS X. The ability to lock, share, observe, and control any computer on the network is great. Also the file copying and the ability to change universal settings such as sound level is also great. Hmm, I may have to convince the school to shell out the cash for remote desktop though if this Net Install apple is coming out with is good.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I can tell you that Apple Remote Desktop in OS X kicks ass, and I specifically saw it running over Airport, too.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>I can tell you that Apple Remote Desktop in OS X kicks ass, and I specifically saw it running over Airport, too.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just got done with the tech meeting and I'm putting a proposal for the PTA to purchase 12 eMacs, a nice midrange G4 with 17" flat panel and Remote Desktop...Let's see if they let it through...I gotta sell my ass off next tuesday at the PTA meeting.