Firewire vs. Ethernet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I wanna transfer stuff from my old Clamshell to my new Powerbook - what's the best route to go? Ethernet cable, Firewire? I don't have airport... and also what's this I hear about TCP/IP - what happened to AppleTalk/AppleShare?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I would say FireWire Target Disk Mode is the best solution. The PB will appear as an HD on your iBook and you can drag´n´drop files from one to the other. Perhaps it works the other way too.

TCP/IP? Ohhhh that nothing. I think some kind of network called the intra net or something like that use it as its core protocols but I´m not sure. Look up MacOS help for connection two computers in a small network.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    turn on the powerbook, turn off the clamshell. connect the two via firewire, turn on the clamshell while holding down the T key. Keep holding until the firewire symbol appears on the clamshell. the clamshells hard drive should then mount on the desktop of the powermac. this should be faster then anything else in every respect.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Failing the FireWire thing, you can get an Ethernet crossover cable, which you can use to connect the two computers directly, and just use file sharing to share one of them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>Failing the FireWire thing, you can get an Ethernet crossover cable, which you can use to connect the two computers directly, and just use file sharing to share one of them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agree it's not the fastest but it the easiest solution. You can in that manner even launch some software from one machine to another without duplicating the software.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong>Failing the FireWire thing, you can get an Ethernet crossover cable, which you can use to connect the two computers directly, and just use file sharing to share one of them.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think you even need a corssover cable with new machines. I believe the powerbook will do the corssover stuff for you if u use a regular eithernet cable.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Use the infrared ports, and while you wait two days for your data to transfer, you can marvel at the fact that you didn't have to use any cables.