Apple announces free holiday shipping for online orders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Monday revealed that all orders for any product placed at its U.S. online store through Dec. 22 will ship for free, while customers in other countries can also receive free shipping for one day only.

The announcement was made on Apple's online store on Monday, also known as "Cyber Monday," or the first Monday following the Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. Apple does not have any Cyber Monday deals, though it did participate in Black Friday, the largest shopping day of the year, last week.

Apple's free shipping promotion through Dec. 22 applies only to the U.S., but customers in other countries -- including Canada, the U.K., France, and Spain -- receive free standard shipping on all orders placed Monday. The free shipping offer in those countries does not extend beyond Monday. Additionally, Monday's free shipping offer does not extend to all other countries.

Of course, many resellers of Apple products also offer Macs and other products at discounted prices with free shipping, including MacMall, MacConnection, B&H, Amazon, Best Buy and DataVision. Discounts available from these resellers can be seen in AppleInsider's Mac Price Guide, included below:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Doesn't Apple already have free shipping on everything over $100, anyway? So this is basically for accessory/keyboard/trackpad/third-party product purchases, I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Its $50, not $100. I didn't think there was anything on the store that wasn't over $50. :P
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Its $50, not $100. I didn't think there was anything on the store that wasn't over $50. :P

Adapters are about it. Nothing like getting an adapter in your stocking!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

They still sell iPod socks?

edit: They do.Can't believe these were showcased in a Special Event.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9720G/B
  • Reply 6 of 13
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I remember thinking it was an odd thing for SJ to mention and then realized it was very clever and classic Apple - just a tiny detail that humanizes and de-techifies the iPod. I also remember thinking it must have been the greatest piece of free marketing the 'sock' company could have dreamed of.

EDIT: Just watched the video below and realized the sock was an Apple product...

My totally non techie sister loved it and immediately bought a pack of 5. (She gave me the grey one!).
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9720G/B

Here it is - the announcement... You are not the only one who laughed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBaFh5sPhsg
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I remember thinking it was an odd thing for SJ to mention and then realized it was very clever and classic Apple - just a tiny detail that humanizes and de-techifies the iPod. I also remember thinking it must have been the greatest piece of free marketing the 'sock' company could have dreamed of.

EDIT: Just watched the video below and realized the sock was an Apple product...

My totally non techie sister loved it and immediately bought a pack of 5. (She gave me the grey one!).

Quote:

I never thought about socks as humanizing Apple, and the audience is clearly laughing at Jobs calling them a "revolutionary new product" so hopefully that will prevent any trolls from claiming Jobs was serious with that statement.

Jobs mentions the case makers profiting from the iPod's success. Was this there first entry into the "case" market? I think it might have been. Thankfully they're designers have stepped up their game since then. I love the iPad 2 Smart Cover but I do want more magnets for two specific changes. One, make it strong enough that it will stick securely to the back when holding on the edge with your left hand. Two, add a magnet in the Smart Cover and sensor in the iPad for the second-to-last panel are, along with appropriate software, so you can flip up a single panel and see the time, weather, stocks and other simple notification data quickly.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

I had never seen that. Great fun, wow. Haha.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I still have my socks. They come in handy every time Apple reinvents the iPhone form factor and there are no cases at first.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

That socks!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

I never thought about socks as humanizing Apple, and the audience is clearly laughing at Jobs calling them a "revolutionary new product" so hopefully that will prevent any trolls from claiming Jobs was serious with that statement.

No - Jobs was having fun... but he spent plenty of time on it and it does have the effect of making the device 'friendly'. But he had fun at other times. For instance when he introduced the iPhone (slide of iPad with rotary dial).

Quote:

Two, add a magnet in the Smart Cover and sensor in the iPad for the second-to-last panel are, along with appropriate software, so you can flip up a single panel and see the time, weather, stocks and other simple notification data quickly.

I like it! And give developer's access to this. I can just see a cute little 'Hello!' as you lift just the first flap. But seriously - a great feature. Opening up the whole thing just to see who just emailed / sent a text / weather etc. is laborious.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That socks!

(Can't think of a reply that involves a pun) Perhaps that a good thing.

Quote:

I like it! And give developer's access to this. I can just see a cute little 'Hello!' as you lift just the first flap. But seriously - a great feature. Opening up the whole thing just to see who just emailed / sent a text / weather etc. is laborious.

I'm glad my idea came across. I felt like I made it sound overly confusing and pointless. Certainly not my best effort at writing.