Need to reconfigure an Airport BS, Please Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been using my airport at school. At school I connect to the internet via a LAN. I just moved home for the summer where I connect via dialup. I need to reconfigure the basestation, but I can't do it. I can connect to my airport network, but it isn't set up to use the modem, so that doesn't do me any good. The setup utility can find the network, but says it can't configure the base station (something about DHCP being off). The admin utility does not even detect the base station. I have tried both several times, I have tried soft reseting, I have tried in 9 and X and I have tried with the basestation hardwired to the computer, I can't get anything to work, please help!

[ 05-14-2002: Message edited by: SledgeHammer ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Okay, some new info if it helps...

I hard reset the base station. I was then able, using admion utility, to re-uload the base station software. After that, however, Admin util was no help. Tried setup assistant, that worked as expected at firs: told me it found a new base station, went through all the setup options, but when it tried to configure the base station, I got an error, it said it was unable to do so, multiple retries proved ineffective. Please Help.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    faxthatfaxthat Posts: 64member
    I'm no genius. But I did just set up my own new ABS. Did it without an Airport Card. Used an ethernet cable --mac to ABS-- instead. Try that and use the default password, "public" to get in with the admin tool software. Your wireless network may be useless to you but the cord method should work. Once ABS is set up, then set up your card to match ABS settings.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    No go. I tried it hardwired. Doesn't help at all. I can get on the network, I just can't configure the base station. Admin Utility doesn't find it, and Setup assistant says it is unable to configure the selected base station.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by SledgeHammer:

<strong>No go. I tried it hardwired. Doesn't help at all. I can get on the network, I just can't configure the base station. Admin Utility doesn't find it, and Setup assistant says it is unable to configure the selected base station.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If the Admin utility can't detect the ABS and the set up assistant can't work with it, then the software upload must not have taken.

What are the three lights on the ABS doing? On? Off? Flashing slowly? Flashing quickly?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Middle one's on steady, and the 2 side ones flash together, slowly. Doesn't seem abnormal. Thing is, it works fine for networking with my iMac (that's hardwired to the BS). I can connect over appletalk without trouble. I just can't configure the stupid thing.
  • Reply 6 of 14

<strong>Middle one's on steady, and the 2 side ones flash together, slowly. Doesn't seem abnormal. Thing is, it works fine for networking with my iMac (that's hardwired to the BS). I can connect over appletalk without trouble. I just can't configure the stupid thing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

------

Sledge,

If you're using it for networking, you must have two Macs plugged into it. Right? Do you have the manual that explains that those two ethernet ports don't both work the same? If you're trying to progam the ABS from the Mac that's plugged into the wrong port, you may have some trouble.

faxthat
  • Reply 7 of 14
    trust me, I checked the manual, and the KBase. My only thought is to reinstall the AP software, but I haven't gotten around to downloading it. I'll get on that eventually.
  • Reply 8 of 14

<strong>trust me, I checked the manual, and the KBase. My only thought is to reinstall the AP software, but I haven't gotten around to downloading it. I'll get on that eventually.</strong><hr></blockquote>

--

Glad to hear you have the manual and are checking Kbase. Hope the software reload gets it going. Good luck.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    reinstalling airport software (v.2.02) did not help. Does anyone know what the problem could be?!?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    can't anybody help me?! I have tried everything I know how to do, and none of it has worked, are there any other things I could try, or at least, does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong?
  • Reply 11 of 14
    fasttifastti Posts: 4member
    Is this the first or second Rev base station?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    2nd. White w/white LED's
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fasttifastti Posts: 4member
    Hmmm all my experience is on the original Airport BS. In my experience with the old one. To configure them sometimes you must first reset them and then with a direct connection use admin to reconfigure the key is that it must be a hardware connection and it needs to happen while its reseting. Hope that helps
  • Reply 14 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Have you tried using the Airport Admin Utility and then selecting your airport and configure? You can change the setting manually there. Sorry if you tried this, but I didn't see that from a quick read of the thread.