'Key component' said to be limiting Apple's iPhone 4S supply

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    I wonder if Samsung would stoop so low as to hold back production of an iPhone 4S component.

In an attempt to slow down iPhone 4S sales.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I think there may be a few companies out there that would kill to have the kind of problems Apple struggle with.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    The 3GS model is blowing the doors off. It is free, runs iOS5 and iCloud, and has access to most Apps. It's pretty silly for this analyst to dismiss it so readily

I love Apple's strategy of moving the older products down the price ladder. As someone above just said, Apple is simply going to move the iPhone 4 to the free step. And there is going to be huge, huge demand

By producing a model for several years, Apple gains enormous economies of scale and declining product build costs. It is a phenomenal model that no one in the industry is able to replicate

Apple does not need "brand new" lost price phones. It just needs to keep doing what it is doing. In 3 years, the iPhone 4S will be offered for free. Let's see what the demand is then
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Lolz, we were discussing this last night.

What key component are we talking about? The processor?
  • Reply 25 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Probably something coming from Japan. Tsunami related.

More likely Thailand related, due to the more recent flooding.

Or it could be due to a transition period, such as a supplier going from making 3.5" displays to 4.0" or 9.7" retina displays.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Well I suspect that the key component that is short is either the Screen or the sensor for the camera.

As for the 3GS, I see that Phone as a great compensator to an iPhone 4 or 4S shortage. I would suspect that Apple has the factories pumping out the 3GS at a reasonable pace in comparison to the 4 and 4S.

The problem with the 3GS is not so much that it is "dated", but that it is only available on AT&T in the US. Apple needs the iPhone 4S, which is a world phone, to be the free phone next year, so that all the carriers carry a free iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

The problem with the 3GS is not so much that it is "dated", but that it is only available on AT&T in the US. Apple needs the iPhone 4S, which is a world phone, to be the free phone next year, so that all the carriers carry a free iPhone.

That's a lot of money to lose, and were would that put the iPhone 4?
  • Reply 28 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If they're going to sell three years' worth of product at once, different names are required.

Good point.

Maybe they should use the comma delimited format then. iPhone (4,1)
  • Reply 29 of 76
    The key component is "magic"
  • Reply 30 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

The key component? Undesirability.

This is the kind of crap we get from an AI moderator?
  • Reply 31 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I don't understand.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    Clever way of constraining the stock.
  • Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:

I don't understand.

Lol, I'm lost too.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Being a moderator doesn't mean you have to be fanboy.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Being a moderator doesn't mean you have to be fanboy.

But being a moderator means one should make thoughtful, intelligent remarks. For example, "undesirability" does not explain sold-out stores.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

But being a moderator means one should make thoughtful, intelligent remarks. For example, "undesirability" does not explain sold-out stores.

Oh, good; it's just a misunderstanding of the wording of my post. Phew!

I'll append a sentence:

Supply constraints? ?are being caused by limited availability of one crucial component. The key component? Undesirability. Lack of undesirability is causing supply constraints of the iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I wonder if Samsung would stoop so low as to hold back production of an iPhone 4S component.

In an attempt to slow down iPhone 4S sales.

Just a thought.

That's risky business. It's also illegal. In addition, it wouldn't be good for Samsung. Their other customers would wonder if Samsung would do that to them as well.

Apple has had supply problems for years. A number of components are made by small manufacturers. If they have a problem, output suffers, and so do their customers. It's a reason why Apple went to Sony for their 4s camera chips this year.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Surely the iPhone 4 is the fastest selling electronic device on the planet (based on the seemingly arbitrary 60 days timeframe) besting the Kinect accessory by a large margin. So why no mention of this in the news?

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question. As of Oct 31 2011 Guinness World Records is still listing the Kinect as the leader.

Oops sorry hasn't been 60 days yet for the 4S. Still have 15 days to go
  • Reply 39 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

The 3GS model is blowing the doors off. It is free, runs iOS5 and iCloud, and has access to most Apps. It's pretty silly for this analyst to dismiss it so readily

I love Apple's strategy of moving the older products down the price ladder. As someone above just said, Apple is simply going to move the iPhone 4 to the free step. And there is going to be huge, huge demand

By producing a model for several years, Apple gains enormous economies of scale and declining product build costs. It is a phenomenal model that no one in the industry is able to replicate

Apple does not need "brand new" lost price phones. It just needs to keep doing what it is doing. In 3 years, the iPhone 4S will be offered for free. Let's see what the demand is then

It's still selling pretty well, which is amazing. But still, it's rather old in the tooth. This causes several problems for Apple, it's developers, and their customers (us).

For example, the 4 is much more powerful than the 3GS. But games are still aimed at the 3GS because of the still large customer base. This is from game industry sources. That means that games, and other apps are limited in what they can do. It doesn't mean that nothing is aimed at the newer models, but that a large proportion of things aren't.

If the 3GS is selling well, just think of how well a new model at that price would sell. That's not just free, or $0.99, which is what AT&T is selling it for now, for some odd reason. It's also the $375 or so it's selling for as an unlocked model in some other countries.

It's now more than 2.5 years old, decidedly a dinosaur in cell phone age measurements.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question. As of Oct 31 2011 Guinness World Records is still listing the Kinect as the leader.

I can't imagine they haven't. They sold 4 million in 3 days in 5 countries and now they building up those up faster than ever before. On November 11th alone they launched in 15 more countries. Is it really possible they didn't sell another 4 million since launch, much less 57 days after launching. I think they smoked the Kinect sales record by a wide margin.