'Key component' said to be limiting Apple's iPhone 4S supply

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, good; it's just a misunderstanding of the wording of my post. Phew!

I'll append a sentence:

Supply constraints? ?are being caused by limited availability of one crucial component. The key component? Undesirability. Lack of undesirability is causing supply constraints of the iPhone 4S.

That's what I thought you meant. I couldn't understand his comment.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question. As of Oct 31 2011 Guinness World Records is still listing the Kinect as the leader.

Oops sorry hasn't been 60 days yet for the 4S. Still have 15 days to go

They sold 8 million not 8 billion. And yes, it's VERY likely that Apple will sell more than 8 MILLION 4S's in 60 days. Likely they've already sold a fair amount more than that a while ago.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days?

Wow. They sold 1.143 Kinects for every man, woman, and child on this planet!?
  • Reply 44 of 76
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question.

Prock!
  • Reply 45 of 76
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. They sold 1.143 Kinects for every man, woman, and child on this planet!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Prock!

I'm sure it's just a typo.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm sure it's just a typo.

I am sure we're sure too.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:

The key component? Undesirability.

True that. A word that does not exist would be in short supply.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Hmm.. I walked into an At&t store last week and had no problem getting my iPhone 4s. Probably based on were you live
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

True that. A word that does not exist would be in short supply.

• Reply 50 of 76
    Unobtainium
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Recent reports from investigations have indicated that Apple, Inc (APPL) has switched suppliers from India where they had been harvesting unicorn tears to enhance the lickability of the iOS device screens and enhance the magicalness of the operating system. Reports from several anonymous sources suggest that unicorn tears were not retaining potency among technology consumers and Apple sought more potent means to ensure the necessary qualities of their iDevices.

Enter the Thai Upsorn Srihas. Found abundantly in the Himmapan Forest, the half female human/half-deer creature sheds tears abundantly in both happy and sad states, easing what Indian collectors claimed was trouble depressing unicorns enough to get them to cry. The Upsorn Srihas tears not only are magical, and carry the requisite lickable factor, but also carry a third element, an undefined sexiness, that Apple surely was intending to leverage as well. With recent flooding in Thailand, the Upsorn Srihas have moved deeper into the Himmapan Forest, causing delays as native tear collectors have to travel further to colelct and then find safe routes to deliver the magical fluid to designated temporary depots, set-up to replace regular depots currently impacted by flooding.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Recent reports from investigations have indicated that Apple, Inc (APPL) has switched suppliers from India where they had been harvesting unicorn tears

Tears of joy! All the way to the bank, baby!
  • Reply 53 of 76
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Surely the iPhone 4 is the fastest selling electronic device on the planet (based on the seemingly arbitrary 60 days timeframe) besting the Kinect accessory by a large margin. So why no mention of this in the news?

It is because the press is so mean to Apple. Its not FAIR!
  • Reply 54 of 76
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

Did the iPhone 4 sell more then 8 Billion units in 60 days? Honest question. As of Oct 31 2011 Guinness World Records is still listing the Kinect as the leader.

Oops sorry hasn't been 60 days yet for the 4S. Still have 15 days to go

The iPad 2 dethroned the kinect quite handily selling in excess of 12M over 80 days.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...ok-of-records/

iPhone4s is going to beat them both.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I wonder if Samsung would stoop so low as to hold back production of an iPhone 4S component.

In an attempt to slow down iPhone 4S sales.

Just a thought.

They would blow off their foot to spite their toes. First, they open themselves to liability for entering into a supply contract in "bad faith" -- that alone would probably put them on the blacklist for many companies thinking about doing business with them as a component supplier. And Apple sure as hell would probably never use them again.

Secondly... really? People who want an iPhone are going to wait in long lines and sometimes weeks to get their hands on an Apple product. If there's a supply constraint on iPhones, it's not going to translate into better Samsung sales.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:

How do I do that in Snow Leopard???
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Its the 3G chip. Its because its fucked and doesn't work properly. Have cellular data on and wifi and every single inbound call drops. Enable either or and it works fine.

Awaiting my replacement 4S from Apple as I type.

Apple doesn't make the 3G chip. In fact, it's the same 3G chip used in many Android phones.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studentx View Post

Apple does make the 3G chip. In fact, it's the same 3G chip used in many Android phones.

It's a Qualcomm chip and it's newer than one the used in the Verizon iPhone 4 and not used by any other vendors at this point as far as I know.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How do I do that in Snow Leopard???

Double-click with three fingers on the trackpad or?

Jeez, I knew it at one point?

There's a keyboard shortcut that does the same thing for any word currently under the mouse cursor. I can't remember it now; I've used the trackpad shortcut for so long.