Siri clones demonstrate vast technical lead Apple enjoys with iPhone 4S software

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was reading today that SIRI seems to be pro-life. Meanwhile, Google is more than happy to help people with murdering their fetuses.

Ask the Siri, the new iPhone 4 assistant, where to get an abortion, and, if you happen to be in Washington, D.C., she won?t direct you to the Planned Parenthood on 16th St, NW. Instead, she?ll suggest you pay a visit to the 1st Choice Women?s Health Center, an anti-abortion Crisis Pregnancy Center (CPC) in Landsdowne, Virginia, or Human Life Services, a CPC in York, Pennsylvania. Ask Google the same question, and you?ll get ads for no less than 7 metro-area abortion clinics, 2 CPCs and a nationwide abortion referral service.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/2...f-an-abortion/

Steve Jobs was glad that he didn't end up as a victim of abortion. Did Steve Jobs influence SIRI?

http://www.lifenews.com/2011/11/25/s...m-of-abortion/

Microsoft and abortion same terrible results.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

You're right. You obviously work for Apple. We should just believe you instead.

... right back at ya'!
  • Reply 43 of 105
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... right back at ya'!

Right. We believe you over Steve since you're more inclined to know... \
  • Reply 44 of 105
    Those comparison video say it all. Microsoft will never (yes I said never) catch up to Apple's technology. Hell they can't even copy it. I hope these videos go on youtube because they will go cosmic and everyone will know the difference. There is no comparison.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Siri is nice enough, and I use it more often than I ever thought I would, but the over-the-top hyperbole in this 'article' is laughable.

(...typical DeD fanaticism)

Typical, ill-founded criticism of Daniel's take. \
  • Reply 46 of 105
    Quote:

...and because Steve said it, on video no less, it surely must be the absolute truth.

Consider how quickly ios was adapted to the iPad - while android still sucks on a tablet and windows 8 isn't out yet - it certainly lends credence to the fact that apple had done substantial work on making an iOS tablet earlier than the iPhone.

I believe the original intent for the iPad was the safari pad - but the technology at the time - 2004/5 wasn't ready - so they went with the iPhone first.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=447176
  • Reply 47 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Have you noticed the names of some of the folks here that ends in "z"?

It's a conspirazy
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

every Siri ad and article makes me that much more angry that apple killed the Siri app that i had on my iPhone 4 for more than a year before the release of the 4S. i refuse to upgrade in order to use a feature that i used to use daily. i'll wait for the iPhone 6,9 and the iPad 3.14, or whatever rumor is circulating now.

I can understand your disappointment. However, correct me if I am wrong, I believe that this actual implementation is the result of a great deal of further development, including obviously, integration into iOS.

All the best.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Are you calling Steve Jobs a liar?

Because that's straight from his mouth.

"It began with the tablet. I had this idea about having a glass display, a multitouch display you could type on with your fingers. I asked our people about it. And six months later, they came back with this amazing display. And I gave it to one of our really brilliant UI guys. He got scrolling working and some other things, and I thought, 'my God, we can build a phone with this!' So we put the tablet aside, and we went to work on the iPhone."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/...ple-steve-jobs

Quote:

Executives in those positions say a lot of things... especially when it's most convenient (in their best interest) to do so.

Certainly seems that the answer is yes, he's calling Steve a liar. \
  • Reply 50 of 105
    "Siri, how many non-iPad tablets has DaHarder purchased for each of his relatives?"

Siri: "Sorry, no realistic answer -- some things are just beyond belief!"

Siri: "Now, if we had some pictures..."
  • Reply 51 of 105
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"Siri, how many non-iPad tablets has DaHarder purchased for each of his relatives?"

I see that you're still wearing 'green' there Dick.
  • Reply 52 of 105
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Which is why Apple's original mobile operating system was called the iPhone OS, and not iOS until it was enlarged to work on the iPad some 3 years after the iPhone's introduction.

That means nothing. The iPod touch OS was not called iPod touch OS. It was obvious that Apple was expanding the iPhone OS at the time. I was convinced back then that Apple will eventually rename it iOS when they are ready. Did you expect Apple to come out on the original iPhone release and say "hey, we have this OS and we will call it iOS because in three years we will release the iPad with this OS on it.".
  • Reply 53 of 105
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Three each X the number of non-iPad tablets
  • Reply 54 of 105
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Not much of which was done buy Apple researchers given that Apple only bought Siri in April 2010 as a means of competing with Google's voice recognition developments.

Of course. That is common knowledge at AppleInsider.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    SIRI is a nice tool on the phone, but I personally dont find much use of it, I played around with it the first day like setting the alarm and tried out some of the dumb questions that has been doing the rounds on the net. I kinda agree with some statements on the post and that it might not be super useful for everyone, but I think technologically it is one of the most advanced AI in a mobile device, That I am sure off. Maybe over time usefulness of SIRI might grow and be a real bench mark with lots of improvements, right now it is just a cool feature without any significant use.

SIRI is also a beta version, apple might be testing the users reactions, They will be happy even if people just play around with it, SIRI calls homes for a response which can mean that apple will get free voice samples of varied accents free of cost which will hopefully help them make it work with the voices of people with varied accents.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

That means nothing. The iPod touch OS was not called iPod touch OS. It was obvious that Apple was expanding the iPhone OS at the time. I was convinced back then that Apple will eventually rename it iOS when they are ready. Did you expect Apple to come out on the original iPhone release and say "hey, we have this OS and we will call it iOS because in three years we will release the iPad with this OS on it.".

The iPhone OS wasn't even called "iPhone OS" when the iPhone launched in 2007. It didn't have an official name, by the way (The closest you get is Steve saying "The iPhone runs Mac OS X" in the keynote).

In any case, it makes sense that they wouldn't give away any unannounced products (i.e. iPad in-the-works) by calling the OS anything other than "iPhone OS".
  • Reply 57 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

SIRI is a nice tool on the phone, but I personally dont find much use of it, I played around with it the first day like setting the alarm and tried out some of the dumb questions that has been doing the rounds on the net. I kinda agree with some statements on the post and that it might not be super useful for everyone, but I think technologically it is one of the most advanced AI in a mobile device, That I am sure off. Maybe over time usefulness of SIRI might grow and be a real bench mark with lots of improvements, right now it is just a cool feature without any significant use.

SIRI is also a beta version, apple might be testing the users reactions, They will be happy even if people just play around with it, SIRI calls homes for a response which can mean that apple will get free voice samples of varied accents free of cost which will hopefully help them make it work with the voices of people with varied accents.

Just wait... Soon Siri will be able to buy things at your direction!

It's called "no-click shopping"

Quote:

I've been experimenting using Siri to find and play music from iTunes Match on iCloud.

After a few false starts, it works quite well (though, in the US, Siri seems to understand Castillian Spanish better than Mexican Spanish).

Long story, short!

I predict that Apple will make Siri available on every device that can support it ASAP!

Why?

Let me illustrate:

"Siri play something by 'Sheena Melwani"

Siri: "Looking for 'Sheena Melwani'..."

Siri: "You don't have anything by 'Sheena Melwani' in your music.

----> This is where the dialog ends ... In the present beta.

Here's the obvious continuation of the above conversation:

Siri: "I found 2 Albums and 21 songs by 'Sheena Melwani' in the iTunes Music Store. Would you like to preview them?"

Why? I'll tell you why... Because Siri can buy things for you!

Edit: Kinda makes you want Siri on your TV too...

• Reply 58 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nishanth View Post

I found it very useful for time- and location-based reminders. I used Notes often but never used the Reminders much until the 4S, then I found myself frequently setting up reminders even for just a few minutes later or for minor reasons because a quick Siri entry saved so much time and effort over accessing the Reminders app and inputing the data directly.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

The iPhone OS wasn't even called "iPhone OS" when the iPhone launched in 2007. It didn't have an official name, by the way (The closest you get is Steve saying "The iPhone runs Mac OS X" in the keynote).

In any case, it makes sense that they wouldn't give away any unannounced products (i.e. iPad in-the-works) by calling the OS anything other than "iPhone OS".

I thought they did call it iPhone OS, but I guess it doesn't make much sense at that point since there was no SDK so the name was somewhat pointless. At the 2008 it was referred to as OS X iPhone.
    edit: They'd need a name for updates, especially after the iPod Touch arrived. So what did they call it on their developer site?
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I don't know what's worse DED's "fanaticism", or your dogged knee-jerk hater boy reaction to everything he writes. Dude, you need to get a life.

Daharder he tries, daharder he fails.