Settings shortcuts disabled by Apple in iOS 5.1 beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A tweak that allowed users to quickly access specific settings in iOS -- such as toggling Wi-Fi, Airplane Mode and Bluetooth on or off -- has been disabled with the first beta of iOS 5.1.

Earlier this month, the Web-based shortcuts, which allow users to make custom icons for specific settings, gained popularity for allowing users to quickly access features like Mobile Hotspot or Software Update. But as first revealed by iSpazio.net (via Google Translate), the newly released iOS 5.1 beta puts a stop to this tweak.

The functionality became available with the release of iOS 5, via a feature in the iOS Safari Web browser. Users could add a series of Web links to their home screen, and tapping on a bookmarked icon would automatically take users to the appropriate section of the native Settings application on an iPhone or iPad.

The tweak is useful because it gives users quick access to settings like turning Bluetooth on or off. Previously, simply accessing the Bluetooth controls required users to tap the Settings application, then General, then Bluetooth.

The Settings icons can be even more convenient for enabling Airplane Mode, which turns off all wireless communications on the device. While a Bluetooth shortcut requires users to toggle Bluetooth on or off by themselves, tapping an Airplane icon automatically enables Airplane Mode without any extra steps.

The discovery of the tweak led to a number of free tools online that allowed users to have quick access to their settings, including IconSettings and brdrck.me/settings. Both tweaks remain available to users who are not running the iOS 5.1 beta.

Previously, users who wanted to have such tweaks on their iPhone needed to "jailbreak" their device to run unauthorized code. But jailbreaking an iPhone is a warranty-voiding process that is not recommended by Apple for potential security concerns.

The first beta of iOS 5.1 was released to developers on Monday, and includes enhanced dictation support for devices beyond the new iPhone 4S. While basic speech recognition features appear to be coming to older iPhones, there is no indication that Siri, Apple's voice-controlled personal assistant application on the iPhone 4S, is coming to previous generation handsets.

The new iOS 5.1 beta also contains references in its code to a next-generation iPhone, known as "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3." It also includes references to an unreleased iPad 2 model, labeled "iPad2,4."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    I usually tend to take Apple's side on things because they obviously have proven they know what they're doing, but I don't get this. I understand it's a relatively minor thing, but the shortcuts posed no security threats and didn't take over the device. What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    There we go again with Apple ruining things that don't need to be fixed. Why don't they just add the feature?
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

There we go again with Apple ruining things that don't need to be fixed. Why don't they just add the feature?

1. It's a beta.

2. It's a beta.

3. "Ruined" is an inherently leading word.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?

They'll probably add something like this (but overly Apple-simplified) to iOS6 and promote it as a new exciting feature.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    The design of the icons is just an insult to Apple, so yes, it deserves to be disabled.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I usually tend to take Apple's side on things because they obviously have proven they know what they're doing, but I don't get this. I understand it's a relatively minor thing, but the shortcuts posed no security threats and didn't take over the device. What possible reason other than simply not wanting it could Apple have for blocking this?

But the methodology could be used for other things that would be a security threat
  • Reply 7 of 46
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post

The design of the icons is just an insult to Apple, so yes, it deserves to be disabled.

...as any barista would agree.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kalvin View Post

The design of the icons is just an insult to Apple...

You mean like the iTunes icon?
  • Reply 9 of 46
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But the methodology could be used for other things that would be a security threat

Are you suggesting that non-developers are currently running an insecure version of iOS?
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While basic speech recognition features appear to be coming to older iPhones

What's this now?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

What's this now?

Well, it does say 'basic'. It could just mean the exact same stuff we've already had there for the longest time.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    With all due respect to Steve Jobs, it was probably he who objected to quick access to settings like the one that SBSettings provides on jailbroken iPhones. There's really no reason not to have this feature in iOS, and I hope that now with Steve's unfortunate passing, Apple will reconsider their policy on quick access to settings.

Another feature that really needs to make its way into iOS is repeat notification of missed calls. I am 99% sure that the reason this feature has never been enabled in iOS is Steve Job's objection. The lack of this feature may lead to a major tragedy if your family member or friend tries to reach you, but you miss the call and not realize for hours that someone who may be in dire straights has tried to reach you. There could be a toggle so those who don't want to have repeated notifications of missed calls can just turn this feature off.

A third feature that is really needed is the automatic silencing of the ringer during calendar events with the status set to "busy." This feature prevents one from forgetting to turn the ringer back on after a scheduled even is over. If the ringer would automatically be silenced during such an calendar event and then turned back on after the event, there would be no need to manually disable the ringer most of the time, and therefore, a potential for missing an important call would be minimized.

These three features along with tethering is what prompted me to jaibreak my iPhone but now that I have upgraded to iPhones 4S with the renewal of my AT&T unlimited data plan, I am forced to continue using the old iPhones 3GS while waiting for a jailbreak for iPhone 4S. If these features were introduced in the next release of iOS 5, I would forgo the jailbreak altogether and use my iPhones 4S in the US while using my already jailbroken and unlocked iPhones 3GS when traveling overseas.
  • Reply 13 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

With all due respect to Steve Jobs, it was probably he who objected to quick access to settings like the one that SBSettings provides on jailbroken iPhones. There's really no reason not to have this feature in iOS, and I hope that now with Steve's unfortunate passing, Apple will reconsider their policy on quick access to settings.

I thought we were past the "Steve's dead; everyone do 'uncharacteristic' stuff now" phase?
  • Reply 14 of 46
    They are up $8 today on this news

Seriously..this might give me pause to upgrade. If the additions of this (unheard of previously) basic speech recognition to my IP4 isn't substantial and they remove this ability in the full version I'll just stay on the 0.1 for a while. I am having major battery problems though so it depends on how long I can deal with that.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The first beta of iOS 5.1 was released to developers on Monday, and includes enhanced dictation support for devices beyond the new iPhone 4S. While basic speech recognition features appear to be coming to older iPhones, there is no indication that Siri, Apple's voice-controlled personal assistant application on the iPhone 4S, is coming to previous generation handsets.

I imagine this simply means that Nuance voice recognition is now a part of the OS, so when I say "Play songs by Supertramp", I don't get music by the Beatles. Simply more accurate transcribing of voice dictation.
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Don't know whether this workaround might be a potential security hole. At least Apple tends to object any attempts which may alter the overall iOS user experience - as i.e. the thing with the volume button used for the camera.

As usage of the volume button is finally part of the OS since iOS 5, Apple may at some point also understand, that lots of users want an easier/faster way to change certain settings and include such a functionality with the next version.

From my point of view such a functionality should be a no-brainer and therefore be part of any 5.X-update in the near future. Why not do it like this:

Just enhance the settings-app/-icon to optionally behave like a folder as with the newsstand-app. This could be done by integrating an new group of controls like "direct settings" within the settings app. A main switch would then enable "direct settings" i.e. the folder behavior - probably default would be "off". With additional switches, users could enable the direct settings which suit there needs, like wifi, airplane, bluetooth and whatever. Give the whole thing a nicely done background whenever the "settings-folder" opens, have some original Apple icons which indicate the current status and you are done. Should not take that much, right? The only thing which might need to be sacrificed is the ability to put the settings-app into a folder as it is today. But that's already the case with the newsstand app as well and I thing not many people would mind putting such an enhanced settings app in their dock.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Another feature that really needs to make its way into iOS is repeat notification of missed calls. I am 99% sure that the reason this feature has never been enabled in iOS is Steve Job's objection.

OK, you clearly have insider knowledge. 99% suggests more than bedroom deductions and conspiracy theories. Please share.

Quote:

The lack of this feature may lead to a major tragedy if your family member or friend tries to reach you, but you miss the call and not realize for hours that someone who may be in dire straights has tried to reach you. There could be a toggle so those who don't want to have repeated notifications of missed calls can just turn this feature off.

I think you are being a tad dramatic here.... But yeah, missed call notification is a good thing imo

Quote:

A third feature that is really needed is the automatic silencing of the ringer during calendar events with the status set to "busy." This feature prevents one from forgetting to turn the ringer back on after a scheduled even is over. If the ringer would automatically be silenced during such an calendar event and then turned back on after the event, there would be no need to manually disable the ringer most of the time, and therefore, a potential for missing an important call would be minimized.

I'd say you are the perfect jailbreak candidate. If Apple built in all options that you and a handful other geeks consider essential IOS would be a nightmare for the rest of the world. Remember what SJ, (or was it JI?) said about design - the hardest part is to decide what not to include.

Still - I do hope these settings become available through third party developers again.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Another feature that really needs to make its way into iOS is repeat notification of missed calls.

I agree with you. What would the rationale be to omit this feature? Every phone I've ever owned had an audible alert for missed calls.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Oh look, apple telling people what they can/cannot do yet again. Shame they don't believe in freedom of choice.

In this specific case ... who knows as this is not a final release but the reason Apple 'tells people what they can and cannot do' is a GOOD thing for the majority of people. Including every option under the sun is not generally helpful. And there is freedom of choice, use another OS.