Apple wins one-week extension on Samsung tablet ban, court to deliberate appeal request

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, I disagree.

Sadly, it appears that this IS Samsung's A game. And HP. And RIM. The problem isn't that they're not bringing their A game, but that their corporate culture makes their A games so weak.

I wasn't clear. It's may be those companies's A-game but it's not A-gmae playing for the industry. However, with Asus, their A-game playing for the industry is solid. They are coming in at $100 less than Apple for the same capacity device with a 10" IPS panel with top notch display quality. There systems aren't as power as the iPad 2 because they are using Tegra 3, but that's something all Android-based vendors will be contending with until there can be a shift between these ARM-based SoCs.

That said, I wouldn't expect to see any change until After ICS debuts on tablets and then only a slow trend if ICS has resolved the issues that have plagued previous Android tablets. But we're in Decemeber now and the 3rd iPad will likely be demoed in January or February. Depending on what comes out next this come iPodicize the tablet market, meaning a natural monopoly.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

The collective IQ of the known universe has been reduced as a direct result of your two posts.

Is this your one witty retort you like to bring out on occasion when you have nothing relevant to say? I think you need some new material there champ.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Don't delude yourself. It's fairly obvious that they're going after Samsung because they see that brand as the only one that is a serious competitor. Samsung is definitely not the only tablet maker that markets a product that is indistinguishable from the iPad when looking at the front of the tablet. I don't know the full spectrum of Android tablets, but I found this list with pictures on CNET http://reviews.cnet.com/best-tablets...ndroid-tablets . Most of them are rectangles with black bezels. It's clear that Apple finds Samsung the only true threat based on what they know about Samsung's production and marketing capabilities, and they want to stop Samsung from getting their products to market.

I'm afraid you are the one suffering from delusions.

Apple don't give two hoots about Samsung's marketing efforts across their entire range, iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches outsell Samsung's competing products by significant margins, HTC even outsells Samsung in the US.

Samsung blatantly ripped off Apple's IP, Apple responded rather successfully in many cases because judges agree.

Link to ANY case where your delusional claim based PURELY on "indistinguishable from the iPad when looking at the front of the tablet" because anyone who does the slightest bit of reading on the matter knows that that isn't the case, that there is far more depth to these claims.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Individually these suggestions seem ridiculous...

Apple Offers Samsung Suggestions for Differentiating Its Products
    Smartphones:
    • Front surface that isn't black.

• Overall shape that isn't rectangular, or doesn't have rounded corners.

• Display screens that aren't centered on the front face and have substantial lateral borders.

• Non-horizontal speaker slots.

• Front surfaces with substantial adornment.

• No front bezel at all.

Tablets:
    • Overall shape that isn't rectangular, or doesn't have rounded corners.

• Thick frames rather than a thin rim around the front surface.

• Front surface that isn't entirely flat.

• Profiles that aren't thin.

• Cluttered appearance.

• Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'm afraid you are the one suffering from delusions.

Apple don't give two hoots about Samsung's marketing efforts across their entire range, iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches outsell Samsung's competing products by significant margins, HTC even outsells Samsung in the US.

Samsung blatantly ripped off Apple's IP, Apple responded rather successfully in many cases because judges agree.

Link to ANY case where your delusional claim based PURELY on "indistinguishable from the iPad when looking at the front of the tablet" because anyone who does the slightest bit of reading on the matter knows that that isn't the case, that there is far more depth to these claims.

You're side-stepping my argument here. I wasn't trying to say that Apple is suing Samsung over the black rectangle issue; that portion of the case has been brought up a lot on this site, so I used that as an example for my actual point. The point is that Samsung's tablets are not unique from the tablets produced by most other companies, yet Apple is only attempting to have Samsung's products banned. There must be a reason for that, and I think the reason is that Samsung is the only Android tablet maker that has the resources and the smarts to truly compete with Apple. Just in case you want to contradict me on the part about Samsung's uniqueness, I found you a list of every claim Apple is making http://www.theverge.com/2011/04/19/a...is//in/2297513 . The only claim that could apply to Samsung and Samsung alone is the design of the app icons. That is one claim of many.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You're side-stepping my argument here. I wasn't trying to say that Apple is suing Samsung over the black rectangle issue; that portion of the case has been brought up a lot on this site, so I used that as an example for my actual point. The point is that Samsung's tablets are not unique from the tablets produced by most other companies, yet Apple is only attempting to have Samsung's products banned. There must be a reason for that, and I think the reason is that Samsung is the only Android tablet maker that has the resources and the smarts to truly compete with Apple. Just in case you want to contradict me on the part about Samsung's uniqueness, I found you a list of every claim Apple is making http://www.theverge.com/2011/04/19/a...is//in/2297513 . The only claim that could apply to Samsung and Samsung alone is the design of the app icons. That is one claim of many.

Apple is running scared is the issue. When you look at the highest rated products aside from Apple, it's Samsung. They are afraid that Samsung is going to eat their market share for lunch and throw them in the dumpster by dinner.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rugby_kid View Post

Apple is running scared is the issue. When you look at the highest rated products aside from Apple, it's Samsung. They are afraid that Samsung is going to eat their market share for lunch and throw them in the dumpster by dinner.

Silly hyperbole do not an argument make.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Silly hyperbole do not an argument make.

What?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I know what he said... You speak for him, do you?

The average intelligence and civility of comments in this forum is extremely high. When a reply like yours fails in both categories at the same time, it is noteworthy.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The average intelligence and civility of comments in this forum is extremely high. When a reply like yours fails in both categories at the same time, it is noteworthy.

I think you have mistaken this for a different forum as the majority of the comments here are so blinded by fanboism there is no balanced view.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I think you have mistaken this for a different forum as the majority of the comments here are so blinded by fanboism there is no balanced view.

Oh, do you have the Android trolls and generic anti-Apple trolls on your Ignore list? That would explain your belief, but not much else would.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, do you have the Android trolls and generic anti-Apple trolls on your Ignore list? That would explain your belief, but not much else would.

Yep, pretty much! I enjoy my 27" iMac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini, iPad2 and iPhone 4 but I'm still able to see the value in competitive devices. I also think the way Apple are going after so many companies is shameful.

It's a shame many others aren't able to see anything beyond the pro Apple view no matter the circumstances.