Lion os

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is 2 gigs of memory enough for the LION OS which is the newest version? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I would bet that 2 gig would be a bare minimum if you only do email or web surf. I had 4 gig in my 2009 iMac 24inch and it was all good except for aperture or photoshop. I had a lot of page outs with those apps. I put 8 gigs in a few weeks ago and there was a huge difference in performance. If my iMac could do 16 gigs i would do it, but alas....
  • Reply 2 of 8
    It will work, the computer will function... but you WILL get frequent pauses (spinning beachball) from the system as it handles its virtual memory usage.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It will work, the computer will function... but you WILL get frequent pauses (spinning beachball) from the system as it handles its virtual memory usage.

I have 2 gig of memory in the MBA 11inch with 64HD and never got any beach ball at all.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

I have 2 gig of memory in the MBA 11inch with 64HD and never got any beach ball at all.

I gues I should have used "MAY" instead of "WILL".

A lot of that also depends on how much stuff you have running at the same time. RAM made a huge difference on my iMac, but it has a ton of stuff going on all the time as background tasks.

If you run your laptop more "lean and efficient", it would be less noticeable.

In any case, 2GB is enough, but more is better.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I gues I should have used "MAY" instead of "WILL".

And it also depends on the computer. A first-revision Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM? Stutter city.

A brand new 11" MacBook Air with 2GB of RAM? Should be smooth as pie.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    yea it really all depends on your computer's setup... but yeah as the decimals keep getting added to Mac OS 10 so do the memory requirements. ie. software doing more = system doing more, lol
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I have a Black Macbook 2 ghz Core 2 Duo with 2gb of RAM. It runs fine, but this system is a web browsing and email system, and iTunes. The only games it plays is my wife playing solitaire.

It really just depends on what your wanting to do on the system.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyko95 View Post

I have a Black Macbook 2 ghz Core 2 Duo with 2gb of RAM. It runs fine, but this system is a web browsing and email system, and iTunes. The only games it plays is my wife playing solitaire.

It really just depends on what your wanting to do on the system.

Thanks what I do just casual computer usage is all right for me.