Apple cinema display circles at bottom?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently bought a cinema display (old plastic) off ebay... it has small weird burn ins at the bottom or what looks like two burn ins of sorts. this was weird to me as lcd's don't burn in typically. any how i want to buy more of these displays but wish to know more about these burn ins to safe gaurd my future purchases. I don't care about this display but don't want to buy a 23 HD with it as it will be my main display. any help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Well, is it burn-in? Do you know of any UI you've had up recently (and a lot) that would cause this?

Oh, bought off eBay. Came like that. I see… Did the seller mention anything about them? If not, obviously question positive feedback-giving.

To me it looks a little like water spots, but that's next to impossible. But they don't have the look of heat-related damage…

They look equally spaced on either side of the Apple logo… maybe it IS heat-related and some part behind the screen is damaging the panel…

As an aside, (just in case you're looking for it) I deleted your other thread outside of the help section. It was misplaced and we don't allow duplicates. The Genius Bar is well-frequented; you'll get help here!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    yea sorry about the double post... wasn't sure which was a better forum section. yeah well this is actually a pic i took off the net and the exact thing happened to the one at home here so i was hoping some one knew about this issue cause it looks like a possible disign flaw that happens to the 20'' model... all... dunno... just wanted to get some thoughts from people... and yours has been helpful in giving me idea's into this so i thank you for that.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aaron Sorenson View Post

yea sorry about the double post... wasn't sure which was a better forum section. yeah well this is actually a pic i took off the net and the exact thing happened to the one at home here so i was hoping some one knew about this issue cause it looks like a possible disign flaw that happens to the 20'' model... all... dunno... just wanted to get some thoughts from people... and yours has been helpful in giving me idea's into this so i thank you for that.

If you're feeling adventurous? Take a look at iFixit.com. They have disassembly instructions for just about every piece of Apple hardware ever made. If nothing else, take a gander at the instructions for this model of Cinema Display and see if you can see any parts of it (at any stage during the disassembly) that could be making these marks. Don't necessarily take yours apart yourself! At least, not unless you DO find something.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hmmm... maybe if i get no help from anyone reading this forum... but it seems like a common problem as the identical thing happens to more than one display. So I ask does anyone know anything about this particular issue as I don't feel like doing the super in-depth investigating unless no one replies. as this route seems easiest.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    It kind of looks like apple put some magnets down there and they don't have very good shielding and it caused these funny discolored circles. but truthfully I'm not sure what it is.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Guess I shouldn't hold my breathe eh?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    no body else has had this issue? and care to share any of there knowledge?