Using Preview for PDF document filling

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Using 10.6.7.....have received PDF document which needs to be filled out with required info....Have been told that Preview will perform this?...but how to get PDF into preview is question.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Preview opens PDFs by default. I don't know if it lets you fill out forms within, however.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Preview opens PDFs by default. I don't know if it lets you fill out forms within, however.

It does.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

My PDF 's are opened by adobe....How to get back to Preview I guess should have been the question......thanks
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gorklud View Post

My PDF 's are opened by adobe....How to get back to Preview I guess should have been the question......thanks

Should have added that PDF is 1st opened from gmail by adobe......should I drag PDF out of gmail and then try to open it with preview??
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gorklud View Post

Right-click on any PDF and choose "Get Info". Then find where it says "Open With" and choose Preview from the dropdown. Then choose "Change All".
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Right-click on any PDF and choose "Get Info". Then find where it says "Open With" and choose Preview from the dropdown. Then choose "Change All".

bingo ...thanks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Just my two cents here, but you need to be cautious when using Preview to fill out forms. If you are just filling out a form so you can print it, no worries. If the form you need to fill out is something from work or that is tied into a data system through LiveCycle or FileMaker for tracking, & QMS, preview is not the tool you should use.

Unless something has changed in the last week, Preview does not play well with PDF forms. It will recognize and allow you to fill in straight text or number items inside a form, but it does not recognize any calculations or scripts built into the form. It also has issues with most of the interactive view options in PDF forms and it will not display them properly. All this would be ok except that as soon as you hit the save button, the PDF file is corrupted and all the scripts, calculations, tracking metadata etc are lost.

The company I work for uses FileMaker & LiveCycle as the core of their QMS system. When a new form is designed & built, it goes into the system & is distributed to all employees who need to fill out & return the form by clicking a single button. The employees fill out the form & hit the submit button & all the data is returned to the server for verification & inclusion in the various databases the form is tied to in the QMS system. It the employee has an out-of-date form on their machine & they try to use it, an error is thrown & the system automatically directs them to download the latest revision for completion. Horrible pain to set up initially, but afterwards as close to painless as any QMS manager can ask for . . . . . . . . until someone opens a form in preview, fills it in, hits save and tries to submit it back into the system.

Sure hope Apple has some plans to make Preview play better with PDF forms. I have been hearing disturbing noises from my boss about making it against policy to use personal machines for any company work soon due to the growing number of issues this glitch has caused. Never figured that Apple would be the cause of me having to switch back to a windows based machine