Apple offered alternative designs for Galaxy Tab to protect patents

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In its July court case seeking a sales ban of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Apple offered alternative design suggestions for the tablet in order to counter Samsung's claim that iPad and iPhone design patents were dictated by their function, and thus universal.

Public versions of legal briefs released on Friday reveal that Apple had to illustrate the design of the iPad and iPhone were based on aesthetics by giving Samsung a list of tweaks it could make to differentiate the two tablets, reports The Verge.

The Korean electronics company argued that the patents Apple is using against the Galaxy Tab were based on functionality, and are thus required by all smartphones and tablet computers as part of a basic utilitarian design.

Samsung says that it had no choice but to use the design elements in question, but Apple asserts that other options were available and that the Korean company purposely violated standing patents. To prove its point, the Cupertino, Calif. tech giant generated a list of possible alternatives that included:

A front surface that is not black.

A shape that is not rectangular.

No rounded corners.

A front surface that is not flat.

Varying Bezel size.

A device that is not thin.

A cluttered appearance.

In response, Samsung made slight changes to its device and rebranded it the Galaxy Tab 10.1N to skirt a permanent ban in Germany. Apple, however, did not feel the changes were substantial enough to warrant the lifting of the injunction, and asked the German court to ban the remodeled version as well.

The news is an interesting side-note to the ongoing worldwide patent dispute in which the two companies are currently embroiled. Apple has won two injunctions, in Germany and Australia, however the latter was recently overturned and is under appeal.

Illustration from court brief comparing iPad and Galaxy Tab profiles | Source: The Verge

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I can see a spherical tablet would just fine then. No damn it, that would count as round corners. I know ...... octahedron with bumpy surfaces and tea cup shaped handles and pink fur, oh and a pull out antenna and speakers that look like ears.
  • Reply 2 of 136
    Haha! Apple is acting like a smart a** on this one. Basically telling Samsung to make something that looks crappy.

"Not Thin" are they serious!
  • Reply 3 of 136
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A device that is not thin.

A cluttered appearance.

LOL. Almost feels like Apple is trollin' Samsung
  • Reply 4 of 136
    Not thin!! lol thats pathetic.Interesting that the new Motorola Xoom has squared off corners, I wonder if they did that to avoid all this.
  • Reply 5 of 136
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple is being ridiculous. There are plenty vendors with original smartphones and tablet designs that have every single one of those features. Of course Samsung isn't even close to being one of those vendors.
  • Reply 6 of 136
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

LOL. Almost feels like Apple is trollin' Samsung

I was trying to say that in the first post but you said it better I have to think it was tongue in cheek.
  • Reply 7 of 136
    The whole point of this is to teach Samesung that blantant copying is not okay, outside Ong Kong and Korea. Seriously, have you looked at the box branding, the usb/dock connector, or the icons for gods sake! I mean, does Samesung have one original thinker in their entire business? I doubt it, since it wasn't until after the iPad 2 was released that Samesung went back to the drawing board on their 10.1 in order to rip off the look and feel of the then new, iPad2.

After Samesung gets their nuts kicked up into their throat, they'll think twice about ripping off Apple again. But considering Apple is the bar by which all else is measured, that may be tough for them.
  • Reply 8 of 136
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Maybe Apple should have considered the same 'design alternatives' before they used each of those design elements AFTER numerous others manufactures had be using them for years?

• Reply 9 of 136
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Exactly, DaHarder! Samsung could have cloned one of those other designs that nobody would mistake for Apple’s product... or even come up with their own, so we’d have more real choice and competition! Instead, Samsung copied, right down to numerous small details, which were no accident and not “inevitable."

Forget those hypotheticals and that list of vague “elements"... there have been tons of other companies' tablet designs that look different from the iPad (to say nothing of Samsung’s cloned Apple packaging, charger design, “smart cover”/colors, cable-ends, etc. etc.):

There we have lots of variety: past, present, and over-hyped future.

And then here’s what Samsung did.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Forget those hypotheticals and that list of vague ?elements"... there have been tons of other companies' tablet designs that look different from the iPad (to say nothing of Samsung?s cloned Apple packaging, charger design, ?smart cover?/colors, cable-ends, etc. etc.):

There we have lots of variety: past, present, and over-hyped future.

And then here?s what Samsung did.

That tells the whole story.
  • Reply 11 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

[?]

And then here?s what Samsung did.

I'd like to see DaHarder explain that. I'm sure he'll counter with another pic of his "collection".
  • Reply 12 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was trying to say that in the first post but you said it better I have to think it was tongue in cheek.

I hope so, but unfortunately, I think Apple just gave the "OMG Apple claims exclusive rights to thin rectangular devices" crowd a whole lot of fuel.
  • Reply 13 of 136
    Samsung is absolutely disgusting.
  • Reply 14 of 136
    Quote:

I hope so, but unfortunately, I think Apple just gave the "OMG Apple claims exclusive rights to thin rectangular devices" crowd a whole lot of fuel.

If Apple has some bigger plan in mind I can't see it. These suggestions are in the same class as the crazy trolls that post here. They either have to be crazy or they are making a funny.
  • Reply 15 of 136
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple is being ridiculous.

Perhaps Apple should submit actual designs instead of a few generic ideas for Samsung to use?
  • Reply 16 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Perhaps Apple should submit actual designs instead of a few generic ideas for Samsung to use?

I'm sure Samsung would love for Apple to do that. Didn't they already request designs of their future devices?
  • Reply 17 of 136
    Quote:

I'd like to see DaHarder explain that. I'm sure he'll counter with another pic of his "collection".

Well, allow me to play devil's advocate here--

While samsung may not have had a tablet like the ipad prior to the... ipad, they DID have a device that incorporated many of the design elements Apple is claiming against them. We all know what device I'm hinting at here *cough* digital photos *cough*

So, can samsung claim that they based their design of the galaxy tab 10.1 off said device, and not the iPad? Can they claim the resulting thinness to be a natural evolution of the progress of technology?
  • Reply 18 of 136
    Quote:

Well, allow me to play devil's advocate here--

While samsung may not have had a tablet like the ipad prior to the... ipad, they DID have a device that incorporated many of the design elements Apple is claiming against them. We all know what device I'm hinting at here *cough* digital photos *cough*

So, can samsung claim that they based their design of the galaxy tab 10.1 off said device, and not the iPad? Can they claim the resulting thinness to be a natural evolution of the progress of technology?

That digital photo viewer only resembles the iPad on one plane in one view, not all of them. And then there is Samsung copying iOS for their UI layer. I think Samsung is clearly a KIRF, but I don't think any one of these listings are an issue, a right for Apple, and really just makes Apple look silly.
  • Reply 19 of 136
    Quote:

That digital photo viewer only resembles the iPad on one plane in one view, not all of them. And then there is Samsung copying iOS for their UI layer. I think Samsung is clearly a KIRF, but I don't think any one of these listings are an issue, a right for Apple, and really just makes Apple look silly.

Right, the photo view was a thick bulky piece of hardware. But can Samsung claim that making that device thinner would be a natural evolution of technology?

With all due respect, I have to disagree on the UI layer. Sure, on the Galaxy S with touchwiz 3, it mimic iOS a little too closely, but, from my limited experience with the tab 10.1, those customizations are not present. It is running, for the most part, stock honeycomb.
  • Reply 20 of 136
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

Though I certainly agree that this does 'just make Apple look silly', I'd really like to know exactly how Samsung copied' "iOS for their UI layer", given that they look/function quite different... Do Tell?