Inside iPhone 4S US mobile data: AT&T vs Sprint vs Verizon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

More importantly, does LTE, and this is what I'd really like to know, does LTE improve call reception? The ability to send or receive a call, not drop a call, not have a call not go to voice mail, or to pick up a call in a building, etc? Will LTE improve all carriers in that area? Or if your carrier is weak on the call reception in your area now, it'll be weak even after LTE is implemented.

Simple answer: LTE will increase data rates and lower latency. Voice is a moot point.

Simple answer: You're better off just googling for an explanation. It's be more clear and in-depth than you'll get on a forum.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If you read reviews of the Networks. Verizon has generally had better voice coverage. AT&T has generally had better data speeds. They both advertise to their strengths.

Moreover, depending on who you ask, the iPhone 4S is 4G. It just doesn't support the more popular version of 4G that Version and Sprint use, namely LTE and WiMax. It, however, supports one of the versions of the standard AT&T supports. AT&T actually has asked Apple to display 4G in the title bar of the phone after AT&T's name.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kianabc View Post

I registered just to post this comment because I think the "conclusion" of this article is a bit unfair. Yes, this article tested the iPhone on all three networks, but when you read it, it makes you think that AT&T is the fastest network and Verizon sucks. That's only because the iPhone 4S is a 3G device, not 4G. I am a iPhone 4S user and overal a big Apple fan. I love my AT&T network so far because it works well in my hometown; however, I just recently bought a Verizon MiFi mobile hotspot and, boy, that thing is blazing fast! I get downloads in the range of 7-9 mbps, consistently. I travel all over the US, and so far it's been that fast every where I go, with an exception of Marriott hotels.

For some reason neither my iPhone 4S and my Verizon MiFi work at the hotel. I swear Marriott messed with the 3G/4G networks, so you're forced to buy their Internet. I get full bars and can make/receive phone calls, but no data. Weird.

Anyway... The Verizon 4G network is super fast. I have no experience with Sprint's 4G network, so I cannot comment on that.

• Reply 23 of 116
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I suspect the differences are mainly due to the CDMA and GSM the networks use. CDMA is an older cellular technolgy. It was not designed for data. Then they designed LTE to overcome the shortcomings. OTOH, I suspect 4G has some problems with GSM. This may be the reason why Apple is so late to bring a 4G model to market.
  • Reply 24 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

the conclusion of your post: "Just pick Verizon." How exactly do you justify that....

96 percent of the Fortune 1000 and thousands of government agencies and educational institutions - rely on our professional and managed services and network technologies to accelerate their business.

http://www.evanta.com/events/213/sponsors

If 96 percent of the top businesses choose Verizon... I think that's a good enough reason. Here is your data! Don't take MY "individual" .... response!

If I'm wrong the 96 percent of the top businesses must be wrong about coverage beating out speed too huh??

Bam! Bazinga!
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

What I heard is the differences are mainly due to the CDMA and GSM the networks use. CDMA is an older cellular technolgy. It was not designed for data. Then they designed LTE to overcome the shortcomings. OTOH, I suspect 4G has some problems with GSM. This may be the reason why Apple is so late to bring a 4G model to market.

Look up 3GPP. They are responsible for GSM '2G', UMTS(HS*PA) '3G', and LTE. It's 3GPP2, a completely different group that I responsible for CDMA '2G', CDMA2000(EV-DO) '3G', and UMB the failed Qualcomm '4G' technology (though I am sure some of their UMB patents are present in LTE).
  • Reply 26 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by obxwebdesigner View Post

96 percent of the Fortune 1000 and thousands of government agencies and educational institutions - rely on our professional and managed services and network technologies to accelerate their business.

If 96 percent of the top businesses choose Verizon... I think that's a good enough reason. Here is your data! Don't take MY "individual" .... response!

Bam! Bazinga!

The only way you could think that single data point makes your case is if you are erroneously concluding that all other US carriers make up the other 4%. For starters, you'd have to establish the other carrier's usage among the Fortune 1000 businesses.

Since that percentage could be a single device you'd have to show proof of the number of devices uses in total per carrier to make your point valid.

On top of that you'd still have to prove why the businesses matter to all individual consumers throughout the US. Why? I have a Mac notebook, not a Dell or HP desktop, but based on your logic what Fortune 1000 companies use is what I should buy.
  • Reply 27 of 116
    Quote:

The only way you could think that single data point makes your case is if you are erroneously concluding that all other US carriers make up the other 4%. For starters, you'd have to establish the other carrier's usage among the Fortune 1000 businesses.

Since that percentage could be a single device you'd have to show proof of the number of devices uses in total per carrier to make your point valid.

On top of that you'd still have to prove why the businesses matter to all individual consumers throughout the US. Why? I have a Mac notebook, not a Dell or HP desktop, but based on your logic what Fortune 1000 companies use is what I should buy.

Apples and oranges.

Don't change the fact that they chose Verizon. I own a MacBook Pro too and if my MacBook didn't load or crashed frequently then you would have some ground to stand on.

We are talking about dependability and use. Cost can sometimes trump this, take in this case your pc / Mac example. Companies use PC because they are cheaper and "get the job done". Yes they have problems (PC's) but the cost to productivity ratio is a closer in the interest of large companies to go that direction.

Since Verizon and AT&T have virtually the same service cost they went with the more DEPENDABLE COVERAGE of Verizon.

When Mac cost the same as PC you'll see companies switching to Mac. (I doubt that will ever happen but if mac and pc were to cost the same businesses would choose the more DEPENDABLE PRODUCTIVE option) Mac :P
  • Reply 28 of 116
    In general, I can see no fault in the testing that was done by AI. Numerous surveys and tests have indicated that Verizon is more reliable while AT&T is much faster when comparing their "3G" networks. But as with all things, your mileage may vary based on where you live. In San Francisco, an area where AT&T has been blasted for poor service, I actually find that AT&T does provide the fastest data speeds. The truth is, I actually care more about data throughput than phone calls. I think many young individuals will agree. As today's teens grow into adulthood, I assure you phone calls will become secondary to data.

That said, yes, the test only used an iPhone and didn't compare it to Verizon's LTE network. But then it also doesn't include Sprint's WiMax either. That doesn't make it a bad test, nor can you blame the author for drawing the conclusion that AT&T has the better 3G data network. The data supports that conclusion. This is useful for that portion of America that is NOT covered by Verizon LTE yet (quite a lot if you look at the coverage map) or WiMax. I know that a VZW MiFi LTE will do me absolutely no use given that I don't get LTE service here. On that basis then, I am indeed forced to use/compare AT&T 3G vs VZW 3G. And given that data throughout is more important to me, and given that in my area, AT&T coverage is pretty decent, then I would also conclude the same as AI, that people who care about data speed go AT&T if service coverage is decent, and people who car about phone calls or connectivity go Verizon, and people who consume massive amounts of data go Sprint.
  • Reply 29 of 116
    Great now we have carrier fanboys. Guess I gotta say AT&T is the best since I'm with them!
  • Reply 30 of 116
    Quote:

Apples and oranges.

Don't change the fact that they chose Verizon. I own a MacBook Pro too and if my MacBook didn't load or crashed frequently then you would have some ground to stand on.

We are talking about dependability and use. Cost can sometimes trump this, take in this case your pc / Mac example. Companies use PC because they are cheaper and "get the job done". Yes they have problems (PC's) but the cost to productivity ratio is a closer in the interest of large companies to go that direction.

Since Verizon and AT&T have virtually the same service cost they went with the more DEPENDABLE COVERAGE of Verizon.

When Mac cost the same as PC you'll see companies switching to Mac. (I doubt that will ever happen but if mac and pc were to cost the same businesses would choose the more DEPENDABLE PRODUCTIVE option) Mac :P

Besides not addressing my points you also failed to realize that the 96% refers to Verizon Communications not Verizon Wireless.
  • Reply 31 of 116
    Quote:

Besides not addressing my points you also failed to realize that the 96% refers to Verizon Communications not Verizon Wireless.

Verizon is better.
  • Reply 32 of 116
    Quote:

Verizon is better.

At least you've dropped all pretense of objectivity and fair-mindedness.
  • Reply 33 of 116
    Quote:

At least you've dropped all pretense of objectivity and fair-mindedness.

Verizon is better.

You do know Apple went to Verizon when the iPhone was first introduced?

When Verizon turned them down they went exclusively to AT&T. Years later now apple finding it needs to be more competitive in the phone market has branched to various providers.

Anyway the point of all this is back when the iPhone first came out they went to Verizon first. You saying apple had it wrong? Why would Apple choose Verizon first? Could it be because of the service coverage?

Apple picked Verizon first! You saying they got it wrong?

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...denberg-iphone

First bullet point.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    An AT&T iPhone is useless at San Jose Sharks Hockey games

Coverage inside any arena can be problematic, but as smart phone usage has increased the problems at HP Pavilion have gone from bad to worse. At period breaks, thousands of iPhones (and other smart phones) attempt to use bandwidth -- I would be unable to send or receive any email or text.

I finally switched to Verizon, and there is no doubt Verizon is better than AT&T -- at least for Sharks Fans
  • Reply 35 of 116
    Quote:

People are still playing the coverage card?

It's highly important, not an argument for the sake of argument. This never stopped being an issue. I switched to Verizon from AT&T and the coverage is significantly better all over LA. There's maybe 1-2 dropped calls a month, and it seems to get all my incoming calls. With AT&T I missed and dropped calls daily, and it interfered with my business like the other guy said. This is fundamental, not part of a feature list that you just dismiss. AT&T needs to build a lot more towers. A lot more.
  • Reply 36 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

It's highly important, not an argument for the sake of argument. This never stopped being an issue. I switched to Verizon from AT&T and the coverage is significantly better all over LA. There's maybe 1-2 dropped calls a month, and it seems to get all my incoming calls. With AT&T I missed and dropped calls daily, and it interfered with my business like the other guy said. This is fundamental, not part of a feature list that you just dismiss. AT&T needs to build a lot more towers. A lot more.

Thank you someone who sees "the big picture" :-)

When it works it works.
  • Reply 37 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

1) Saying that everyone should use Verizon because it's the only one with coverage is not the same as an individual saying one carrier has more or less coverage for the area they use their phone. If there are multiple carriers in an area that are fine (which is what most people experience) then usage types and plan rates need to be considered.

2) Your experiences doesn't sound like a coverage issue. The higher spectrum not penetrating buildings, HW setups for capacity loads, or even a faulty equipment in your hands could account for all your issues. That isn't to say AT&T is the best option for you but what you've stated don't not reflect any lack of coverage unless you are referring to dropping to GSM '2G' or even No Service…both of which is not something I've not experienced in LA or Orange counties.
  • Reply 38 of 116
    Quote:

I think apple said it best when they said, I like when "things just work". If your cool with your muscle car that works great when "it's running" and fixing between quarter mile runs stay with AT&T.

But if your ready for consistant dependable WORKING COVERAGE go with Verizon.

Your right though it is all about the individual and if you want things to work you'll go with Verizon.

You haven't really grasped this 'all about the individual' point, have you?

The point is that which carrier is the best has always varied strongly from area to area, and you should use the carrier which gives you the best coverage in the areas where you use your phone. That might be Verizon and it might not.
  • Reply 39 of 116
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:

If I'm wrong the 96 percent of the top businesses must be wrong about coverage beating out speed too huh??

Bam! Bazinga!

If you believe 96%...

ROTFLMAO
  • Reply 40 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

You haven't really grasped this 'all about the individual' point, have you?

The point is that which carrier is the best has always varied strongly from area to area, and you should use the carrier which gives you the best coverage in the areas where you use your phone. That might be Verizon and it might not.

Whatever :P