Launch of Apple's EasyPay retail self-checkout deemed a success

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's newly launched retail self-checkout program, which allows customers to pay for an in-store transaction on their phone without speaking to a store employee, has reportedly gotten off to a successful start.

Though the self-checkout option has "seemed a bit crazy" to some, the system is "working out," a person familiar with Apple's retail operations reportedly told John Fortt of CNBC. The person said that the benefits of the new system have, so far, outweighted the negatives.

"This new setup could be particularly useful in a store like the one Apple's opening in Grand Central station on Friday," he said. "(I hear self checkout will be prominently touted there, which is no big surprise.) And the early success of this self checkout initiative bodes well for Apple's holiday sales.

The apparent comments from someone involved in Apple's retail operations are an indication that the self-checkout option has not created confusion or encouraged theft in the company's stores, as some had initially feared when the program was launched. Those concerns led some to jokingly refer to the program, officially known as EasyPay, as "EasyTheft."

The EasyPay launched in November with the release of version 2.0 of the Apple Store application for iOS devices. With EasyPay, an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S user can scan the barcode of an accessory while in store, and complete the transaction using the same credit card information tied to their Apple ID.

The option applies only to accessories and items found on the shelf, which are some of the less expensive products offered at Apple's stores. Higher value items like iPhones, iPads, iPods and Macs are kept in Apple's retail stockrooms, and users cannot complete a self-checkout to purchase those items.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    Has anyone used self-checkout, how does it work? I read some of the descriptions but it's not fully clear.

Can I walk into a store, scan the product, buy it with my phone, then leave the store with the item, all on my own? It says you can purchase a product without speaking to an employee, but it also says it sends you an e-mail receipt so you can show an employee that you paid for the item, so which is it?
  • Reply 2 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Has anyone used self-checkout, how does it work? I read some of the descriptions but it's not fully clear.

Can I walk into a store, scan the product, buy it with my phone, then leave the store with the item, all on my own? It says you can purchase a product without speaking to an employee, but it also says it sends you an e-mail receipt so you can show an employee that you paid for the item, so which is it?

I haven't used it yet myself, but I believe its exactly as you state. You will be able to show the emailed receipt to a store employee if you happen to be stopped and questioned by one on the way out of the store...
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Used it a few days back when buying a new apple remote (kids trashed the last one, don't ask). Worked like a charm and I walked right out without being harassed. Felt a little weird, but it was really nice seeing as how the store was very crowded that day.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

Felt a little weird…

Okay. That's eight.

Take a good look, everyone. This is number eight. The eighth way that Apple has changed the world.

Computers, Music, Phones, Laptops, Tablets … the other two… and this:

PAYING. FOR. STUFF.

Apple has created a successful implementation of a technology that destroys to its foundation civilization's belief of how retail is done.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I see great potential for success, so long as the majority of the world's population remains honest. I guess the question becomes, where is the tipping point?
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

I see great potential for success, so long as the majority of the world's population remains honest. I guess the question becomes, where is the tipping point?

The tipping point will be linked to RFID. If you had an RFID scanner in your phone and a tag on each item in the store, you could link your purchase to the RFID tag, which could be read by scanners around the door at the exit to the store, and if someone was taking something they had not paid for an alarm would sound, and if they had, it would leave them alone.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Did it myself.

But I wonder how they prevent theft.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay. That's eight.

Take a good look, everyone. This is number eight. The eighth way that Apple has changed the world.

Computers, Music, Phones, Laptops, Tablets ? the other two? and this:

PAYING. FOR. STUFF.

Apple has created a successful implementation of a technology that destroys to its foundation civilization's belief of how retail is done.

Something almost identical to this was done by the supermarket chain Safeway in the UK 15 years ago. Basically you got a handheld barcode scanner when you went into the store, scanned items as you put them in the cart (you could actually buy some plastic boxes that went into the cart, so you put your goods straight into boxes that you could then put in your car), then when you were done shopping, you put the barcode scanner back into its receptacle and it charged you, then off you went.

Periodically it would tell you that you had to go and have your cart manually scanned in the normal way, and they would look at the delta between what you scanned yourself and what the manual scanning showed. If there was no (or little) difference, you would be sent for manual scanning less frequently, and if there was always a huge discrepancy, eventually you would be barred from using the system.

It worked pretty well, though never caught on.

What Apple are implementing is basically the same thing.
  • Reply 8 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Yes, that's exactly how it works. Did it myself.

But I wonder how they prevent theft.

Yes, but do you have to show an employee at the door an e-mail receipt or not?

I do self checkout at Home Depot, but you have to show them the receipt, and they do a cursory check before you walk out.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    I picked up a mouse yesterday while my friend was waiting at the genius bar. I scanned the mouse with the phone, entered the CV2 code from the back of my credit card, and put the mouse in my pocket. I got the receipt via email. No one bothered me, or asked for a receipt, when I walked out the door 20 minutes later.

I am curious as to what methods they have in place to prevent widespread theft? Obviously once this becomes better known, some people will walk in, and walk out with a product. it's trivial to set up a web site that displays a real looking invoice, so the store can't solely be relying on you showing the receipt on your phone as you leave.

I assumed that the front door security has a list of each purchase on their iPad, and knows what should or should not be going through the door.

Anybody know for sure?

Does anyone know if you have to use the store's Wi-Fi in order for this to work? Will the App realize you're in the Apple store, even if you are using cellular data?
  • Reply 11 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfryd View Post

Does anyone know if you have to use the store's Wi-Fi in order for this to work? Will the App realize you're in the Apple store, even if you are using cellular data?

I was on the store WiFi when I bought mine. I am pretty sure that if there is a question, you can show the person at the front your receipt (shows up immediately in the app) and you will be on your way in a flash.

As for that safeway thing, we had that in my home town and it was MUCH more clunky than described. You still had to check out with a teller and most of the time they rescanned all of your items anyway (low income area) to "reduce theft". That is likely why it never caught on, it was a total pain and really did not speed your way throughout and get you out of the store faster. All it did was make your trip longer since you scan your own items and the teller does the same.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

The tipping point will be linked to RFID. If you had an RFID scanner in your phone and a tag on each item in the store, you could link your purchase to the RFID tag, which could be read by scanners around the door at the exit to the store, and if someone was taking something they had not paid for an alarm would sound, and if they had, it would leave them alone.

Don't even need RFID scanner in the phone, just link the barcode to the RFID code, and you can do the same thing. They could even set up a window where a particular item in a particular store (without unique identification) will not trigger the alarms. No need to make the alarms audible either.

...who's to say they don't already have it in place...
  • Reply 13 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So many points to discuss. here.

1) I've bought items in an Apple Store twice in the past two weeks and have been badgered me to use this service. They were even asking for my phone so they could install the Apple Store app. I was in a hurry, had my CC in hand, and just didn't want to bother.. yet they even asked again despite me informing them of my rush. One of those items was a $99 AirPort Express, not just a case or headphones and the like. The takeaway is that Apple is really pushing this hard.

2) I have to wonder about potential theft, or are Apple Stores so busy that any potential theft is far below the potential loss of sales by customers having to wait to long.

3) Psychologically it does feel weird. For that very reason I'm planning on buying the largest, most expensive item possible with this service, and do it the shadiest way possible to see if anyone will stop me. For all we know they have Las Vegas style cameras and computers monitoring employees and will mark a customer as green once the transaction has occurred. How: By wearing a hoodie, dark sunglasses, avoiding looking at the cameras, avoiding talking to the personal, and walking quickly to and from the door in the most suspicious way. Any other ideas, like what to buy?
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Another other ideas

Wear a trench coat in the summer when it is 100+ degrees. That'll get some attention.
  • Reply 15 of 46
    I've already Winnona'd my local Apple Store out of a lot accessories already..
  • Reply 16 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, but do you have to show an employee at the door an e-mail receipt or not?

I do self checkout at Home Depot, but you have to show them the receipt, and they do a cursory check before you walk out.

From my experience of buying items in the back of the store and then getting my reciept emailed to me there is no one who checks your receipt.

Could this really be the next step in retail, as Tallest Skil suggests, that could change the way it works or is this something that could only ever work for Apple?
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Don't even need RFID scanner in the phone, just link the barcode to the RFID code, and you can do the same thing. They could even set up a window where a particular item in a particular store (without unique identification) will not trigger the alarms. No need to make the alarms audible either.

...who's to say they don't already have it in place...

Very good point.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

Wear a trench coat in the summer when it is 100+ degrees. That'll get some attention.

BY like a dozen of something fairly large, then pull out a giant black trash bag and roughly through the items in the bag before rushing out of the store.

PS: This could ruin it for everyone.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

What Apple are implementing is basically the same thing.

Except you already own the scanner, so it's not out of your way to use it, you don't deal with boxes, so you don't have to do that stuff, and you never have to have anything scanned by anyone else.

In, get what you want, out.

Apple has made legal the physical concept of stealing. It's GOING to catch on.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Okay. That's eight.

Computers, Music, Phones, Laptops, Tablets ? the other two? and this:

PAYING. FOR. STUFF.

Also impressive is Zoom System's Best Buy Express (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZoomShops). I can buy an iPod Touch at 2am from an automated vending machine with the swipe of a card and a few clicks.

I can see the possibility in a few years to be able to find and purchase something on my iPhone and find a local automated pick up location 24/7.