Motorola, Sony Ericsson explain to customers why they won't get the new Android 4.0 for months

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

That's how Android saves people so much money... er. wait. How is begin screwed an advantage?

You can't screw the willing. As I said, if updates matter, get a Nexus (even if they're not released day of--that shouldn't even really matter). If having an outdated phone updated outside of a contract period is important, get an iPhone. Nexuses are updated for roughly 2-years, which is when most people's contracts are expiring, thus most would get a new phone anyway.

And at least the Nexus updates don't cripple one's phone like iOS4 did to my iPhone 3G and made it very nearly unusable (and is partially what drove me to Nexus).
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Interesting. I have read a number of reviews about ICS on the GED phone and it was all roses, in particular about how Google has closed the gap between iOS and Android in features, polish etc.

Reality is that ICS won't really be the Android OS for another 2 years as owners cycle through contracts and get new phones, or worse since out of all the devices you could buy now only one has it and the rest will still be on sale for 6 months. Could be as long as 3 years.

But by then I suppose Android will have cycled through custard tart and fluffer nutter versions. So even in two years it will only be a small segment that even could have ICS, effectively those in a 1 year window starting in about 6 months and some lucky stragglers.

The contrast is huge.

Another interesting story in all this that I have not read about is what happens at the release of a new model. With Apple on that day you can no longer buy the previous models, the telco/apple store etc has no "sale of the old stock" (I suppose some tiny resellers may still and don't know how Walmart etc work in the USA).

In the local telco at the moment there are phones with different versions of android for sale alongside each other and I'm not even sure if there is an ICS version because the phones get named differently over in Oz so you the reviews never match up with what is in shop.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Interesting. I have read a number of reviews about ICS on the GED phone and it was all roses, in particular about how Google has closed the gap between iOS and Android in features, polish etc.

Reality is that ICS won't really be the Android OS for another 2 years as owners cycle through contracts and get new phones, or worse since out of all the devices you could buy now only one has it and the rest will still be on sale for 6 months. Could be as long as 3 years.

But by then I suppose Android will have cycled through custard tart and fluffer nutter versions. So even in two years it will only be a small segment that even could have ICS, effectively those in a 1 year window starting in about 6 months and some lucky stragglers.

The contrast is huge.

Another interesting story in all this that I have not read about is what happens at the release of a new model. With Apple on that day you can no longer buy the previous models, the telco/apple store etc has no "sale of the old stock" (I suppose some tiny resellers may still and don't know how Walmart etc work in the USA).

In the local telco at the moment there are phones with different versions of android for sale alongside each other and I'm not even sure if there is an ICS version because the phones get named differently over in Oz so you the reviews never match up with what is in shop.

Some of the features seem to be closing the gap but the overall feel of Android is still inelegant. It feels like it was designed by children for children.

Check out this video. This is not something Apple would ever release: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-F_ke3rxopc

And there are more than the options to blatantly copy Apple or create a crap UI. Just like at WinPh7. It's excellent from the ground up. It's unique. It's beautiful.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Unlike Google, Apple have a 3-4 month beta period of their OS. During this time carriers can test the OS.

If Google also had an open beta, they would not have as much problems as they have.

How is it with backups and Apps on Android?

I have backups from my original iPhone that I can read into my phone. Handy if I need a special SMS or call list. Can an Ericsson phone read the backups from a Motorola phone? I doubt it.

How is it when people change phones? Apple: Sync your phone: all SMS, contacts, layout, apps are synced.

I bet that is not the same with Android. I can't just plug in my new Nexus and have all my contacts, layout and so on transferred.

How about Apps? If I buy 100 Android apps on my HTC and change to a Motorola: will the apps automatically transfer? Will they even work? How do people sync their stuff? Dragging folders in explorer?

The sad thing with Android is that most Android users never have/will use iOS. They believe its natural to have malware, that stuff won't work with a new phone and so on.

I think Apples strategy is great. Supporting 2+ year old phones. I bet that many do the same thing as I do: when I get the latest iPhone, someone in my family gets the old on. That is one more person liberated from fragmented systems.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

How dissappointing! I read through specifically to see the complaints about DED only to find out that I got to the party too early...

Does this mean you don't read the articles before the comments?? I on the other hand always read the entire article before I start going through the comments, which I read all or I don't bother with the topic.
  • Reply 26 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

How is it when people change phones? Apple: Sync your phone: all SMS, contacts, layout, apps are synced.

Actually, it's even easier on Android for some things. Contacts and mail are synced the moment you login--no PC or cables are required. Same is true for SMS if you use Google Voice.

Apps, as far as I know, do not have a built-in sync function, though there are third-party programs available to do so. Hopefully this too will be off-set by the cloud soon.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottyo View Post

Other makers' profit margins are much slimmer than Apple's, and they probably can't afford to emulate Apple's relatively open-handed support policies.

So? From a consumer perspective, does it matter what their excuse is?

The fact is that with iOS, you'll have access to new versions as soon as they're available. With Android, you'll get new versions when the carrier gets around to it. Someday. Maybe.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    Quote:

Other makers' profit margins are much slimmer than Apple's, and they probably can't afford to emulate Apple's relatively open-handed support policies.

naaah It just takes these carriers longer to get the root kits working right
  • Reply 29 of 67
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Check out this video.

I probably would have thought that that was a cool commercial, if it were released 25 years ago when the Tron arcade game was still hip.

I remember playing the lightcycles on that arcade game, I fed plenty of quarters into those machines.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Cue the fan boi's in 5....4...3...2...oh wait you'll still have to wait

What, the Android fans here, you mean?
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

The point is, Apple always has and always will support their devices better than any other company out there. Motorola, Sony, Samsung, HTC, etc. couldn't care less about updating their old phones, they'd rather you buy a new one to get the new software. Apple supports you from the birth of your device to its dying breath, and believes you will come back again for another phone in a couple years because you were satisfied with the device, sure, but also the support of the device.

Well said. And that's why I love my Apple products so much.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Google is looking more and more like Microsoft.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    bigbig Posts: 36member
    That makes a lot of sense. What is the #1 response I get when someone asks me for an opinion of which computer or smartphone they should buy and I suggest an Apple product? "It's too expensive!"

There is a saying that "you get what you pay for." Yes, I could've bought a much cheaper Android smartphone (perhaps even free with some contracts) when I purchased my iPhone 3GS. Guess what? I'm two cycles behind the latest and greatest (iPhone 4 and now 4S are out) but running iOS5 smoothly with no need to do some crazy hacker stuff!

This is just my opinion: "Apple's relatively open-handed support policies" are made possible because we bought it at time of purchase by paying a higher but still reasonable price. Everyone has their own priorities but in my opinion it was worth it! The Android rallying cry seems to center on it being "free." Peace of mind comes at a price - and it's not free.

Quote:

• Reply 34 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Good article!

Android is a freaking mess and a complete nightmare, and this is just one more reason why. I doubt that their user base really cares though.

Agreed! I was just shopping at Target and I was thinking most of these people just want cheap stuff...crappy tv's, crappy phones, etc., etc.

...for a variety of socioeconomic reasons! E.g., Kids, divorce, low paying jobs, debt, education, or a combination of all of the above. Sad.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed! I was just shopping at Target and I was thinking most of these people just want cheap stuff...crappy tv's, crappy phones, etc., etc.

You know a lot of Androids are as much as your iPhone...
  • Reply 36 of 67
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    They did. IT will be resolved either by 1) Apple paying a lot of money to use the rights, or 2) changing the name for the Chinese market. I would personally go with number 2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Does anyone else wonder why Apple Insider hasn't published anything on the biggest Apple story in recent weeks? Apple lost its trademark on "iPad" in China.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-6BILLION.html

• Reply 37 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

Well said. And that's why I love my Apple products so much.

You two are skipping detail and going straight to the big picture. Apple has what to update? Tablets and their own phones? Android has multiple COMPANIES. Apple is only one company. Much easier. Also, the iPhone is a piece of crud (build wise). I saw someone drop it on their table holding it to their face at a resteraunt and the screen smash. Interesting.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Androiding View Post

You two are skipping detail and going straight to the big picture. Apple has what to update? Tablets and their own phones? Android has multiple COMPANIES.

So what? You're looking at it from the "how can I defend Google" perspective. From a consumer's perspective, the question is "can I upgrade?" The answer is "if you're running iOS, yes. If you're running Android, probably not." The reason doesn't matter.

Quote:

Apple is only one company. Much easier. Also, the iPhone is a piece of crud (build wise). I saw someone drop it on their table holding it to their face at a resteraunt and the screen smash. Interesting.

The iPhone is a piece of crud? Bull. The iPhone is an extremely well built phone. Sure, if you drop a something made of glass or it it with a hammer, it might break, but that doesn't say that it's poorly made. OTOH, my daughter's Android phone literally fell apart. THAT is poor build quality.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    Quote:

You two are skipping detail and going straight to the big picture. Apple has what to update? Tablets and their own phones? Android has multiple COMPANIES. Apple is only one company. Much easier. Also, the iPhone is a piece of crud (build wise). I saw someone drop it on their table holding it to their face at a resteraunt and the screen smash. Interesting.

OK, I think you need to rework the Google Translate. I can't tell what you're saying. But I'm going to take a try at responding.

For what it's worth, I've dropped my iPhone twice on the pavement, with a bumper, and not a single scratch or a dent. So maybe that means the build is better than "crud"?
  • Reply 40 of 67
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

How is it with backups and Apps on Android?

I have backups from my original iPhone that I can read into my phone. Handy if I need a special SMS or call list. Can an Ericsson phone read the backups from a Motorola phone? I doubt it.

Android Market will download all your apps and paid apps to your new device. Android Market is based on your Google account.

If your phone is rooted you can use titanium backup to save your progress to drop box directly.

Quote:

I bet that is not the same with Android. I can't just plug in my new Nexus and have all my contacts, layout and so on transferred.

How about Apps? If I buy 100 Android apps on my HTC and change to a Motorola: will the apps automatically transfer? Will they even work? How do people sync their stuff? Dragging folders in explorer?

For android Contacts, email, calendars, books, pictures, docs and apps are synced automatically when you provide your google account.