Rumor: OEM production of two-year-old iPhone 3GS to reach 2M in Dec. quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Asian supply chain sources claim OEM production of the iPhone 3GS remains steady with expected volume of two million units in the current quarter and 1.4-1.6 million units in the first quarter of calendar 2012.

Taiwan-based DigiTimes cited industry sources on Friday as providing the numbers. The report also noted that production of the CDMA iPhone 4 is expected to come in at between 800,000 to one million units in the fourth quarter of 2011 and 500,000-600,000 units next quarter.

The iPhone 3GS became in October the first of Apple's handsets to be offered free with contract in the U.S., though wireless carrier partner AT&T quietly raised the price to $0.99 a month later.

Apple executives have indicated that they view the free model iPhone 3GS as a "good dynamic" for the iPhone family because it introduces the company's products "to a wider audience of customers."

Even after two years on the market, the iPhone 3GS remained the second-best-selling smartphone in the U.S. last quarter behind only its successor, the iPhone 4, according to data from the NPD Group. Retail checks have also suggested continued strong demand for the iPhone 3GS.

The rumored two million iPhone 3GS units will play a small part in helping Apple reach its projection of an all-time sales record for iPhone units this quarter. The company's results for the September quarter disappointed some analysts largely because the number of iPhone buyers holding out for the iPhone 4S proved bigger than expected.

The Cupertino, Calif., company believes pent up demand for the iPhone 4S, coupled with continued sales of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, will drive record revenues of $37 billion in the December quarter. Multiple analysts expect Apple to sell between 28 to 30 million iPhone units during the period, though one analysis based on U.S. carrier estimates suggests the company could ship as many as 42 million handsets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I guess as long as the 3GS is in demand they will still offer it. But maybe when the iPhone 5 comes out they will discontinue the 3GS and offer the iPhone 4 for free or 99 cents.

On the other hand the iPhone 3GS was 59 dollars before the 4s came out so maybe the iPhone 4 will be 59 dollars when the iPhone 5 comes out. We will have to wait and see.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I guess as long as the 3GS is in demand they will still offer it. But maybe when the iPhone 5 comes out they will discontinue the 3GS and offer the iPhone 4 for free or 99 cents.

On the other hand the iPhone 3GS was 59 dollars before the 4s came out so maybe the iPhone 4 will be 59 dollars when the iPhone 5 comes out. We will have to wait and see.

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free
  • Reply 3 of 57
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Asian supply chain sources claim OEM production of the iPhone 3GS remains steady with expected volume of two million units in the current quarter and 1.4-1.6 million units in the first quarter of calendar 2012.

My guess is that the FreeGS will be one of the best selling phones of all time.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

With iphone 4 not being able to do SIRI why would anyone want one even if its free

Because there will always be those who don't want to or can't spend the extra dollars for the better phone.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Quote:

Because the glass is 90% full, not 10% empty.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:

Because there will always be those who don't want to or can't spend the extra dollars for the better phone.

If you cant afford the current or at least the one before the current then you wont be able get much content for your iphone cause most apps in the apple apps store cost money.

You are better off with android if you cant or dont want to speed money on apps
  • Reply 7 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

The iPhoen 4S is the 5th generation iPhone. The 2012 model with the 6th generation iPhone. Got it?

Quote:

By then Siri will be on every iPhone 4S and iPad 3 which should well outnumber the the iPhone 4 on the market. Siri may also be out of beta. All or which could mean that Apple could open up Siri to all iOS-based devices running iOS 6.0. Since they get to mine data as well as subvert page hits (read: ads) from going to their competitors) there is a good reason for them to offer this functionality once the back end is sufficiently up to date and vetted.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Quote:

I would guess it makes more sense for them to upgrade the 3GS to have iPhone like hardware, keeping the different form factors to differentiate the entry level iPhone (IE-- 3GS) from the newer iPhones (who have siri)

i think the iPhone 4 is going to either going to change form factor, or be discontinued (once the next gen model comes out)
  • Reply 9 of 57
    [QUOTE=SolipsismX;2004198]The iPhoen 4S is the 5th generation iPhone. The 2012 model with the 6th generation iPhone. Got it?

I already understand that. But. If we go by iPhone identifier then the iPHone 5 the iPhone that will be called iPhone 5 the one after 4S will be called 5. Get it!!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The iPhoen 4S is the 5th generation iPhone. The 2012 model with the 6th generation iPhone. Got it?

I already understand that. But. If we go by iPhone identifier then the iPHone 5 the iPhone that will be called iPhone 5 the one after 4S will be called 5. Get it!!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:

Really?

You should know that people are buying the iPhone 4 and 3GS as we speak... and they can't do SIRI.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    With the iPod they made different models for the different market segments (cheap->expensive). With the iPhone they just use older models for the lower end segment. Both ways work.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

There is no history of that. Apple Called the 2nd gen the iPhone 3G, and the 3rd gen the iPhone 3GS for speed. The 4tf gen was called iPhone 4 because it was the 4th generation not because of some silly rule you made up they requires Apple to use the same cardinal number twice in a row.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:

There is no history of that. Apple Called the 2nd gen the iPhone 3G, and the 3rd gen the iPhone 3GS for speed. The 4tf gen was called iPhone 4 because it was the 4th generation not because of some silly rule you made up they requires Apple to use the same cardinal number twice in a row.

Your really funny. I mean that you have a funny sense of humor. It must be your ego. LOL.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Because the glass is 90% full, not 10% empty.

but with each next iteration that glass gets emptier and emptier. I still stand by my point. If you can afford to get the current or at best the one before it, you are better off with an android phone
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:

Your really funny. I mean that you have a funny sense of humor. It must be your ego. LOL.

Cereal though..it's gonna be called the iPhone 6...
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

By then Siri will be on every iPhone 4S and iPad 3 which should well outnumber the the iPhone 4 on the market. Siri may also be out of beta. All or which could mean that Apple could open up Siri to all iOS-based devices running iOS 6.0. Since they get to mine data as well as subvert page hits (read: ads) from going to their competitors) there is a good reason for them to offer this functionality once the back end is sufficiently up to date and vetted.

I just mentioned the same thing in another post. Siri will come to all currently sold, and future devices, once it's out of Beta. I'll say 99% sure on that. It's too good of, and a differentiating technology, not to work towards that goal.
  • Reply 18 of 57

Many of you wonder ...

Why would anyone want an iPhone that can't do this or that ?

Well, depends what you DO want your iPhone to do

If just basic phone/web/music/games/photo/email/etc

The iPhone 1 - yes, Original - is still damn good

And still probably better than the other 'smart' phones out there

Please, have you seen the chit they're trying to peddle ?

So the iPhone 3's ONLY competition is the 4

And since they're pretty cheap these days

Can't go wrong

• Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:

but with each next iteration that glass gets emptier and emptier. I still stand by my point. If you can afford to get the current or at best the one before it, you are better off with an android phone

No... you are worse off.

A 3gs, or dare I say even an iPod Touch + a free feature-phone, is better than dealing with THAT advertising/malware/secure-less/data-mining/fragmented ... mess of an OS.

*Still gobsmacked: why do techies believe that Google has released the Holy Grail called Android for them? You would think due to their ingrained skepticism that they could see through that smoke-screen
  • Reply 20 of 57
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

And the 200+ new features that come with it.

Understandably, the $200 difference makes a difference to many.

However, if one were to realize that comes to less than 28¢ a day over the contract time, it certainly might change some minds.

Hmm. Passing Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts for a couple of months, one could save a couple of hundred dollars if the 'cash upfront' that the carrier charges was an issue.

And with Xmas coming, getting members of the family to chip is also possible; unless you are one of those who doesn't believe in collective bargaining. \