Networking Windows & Mac :::

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Was wondering if I have a mac/windows networked in my home, how do I have them communicate with each other?

can I put them all in a workgroup/domain & have files easily browsed & shared with each other?

specifically using: Windows XP, Windows 98, Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Yes you can. Not programs, but file work. Set up a workgroup on one of your computers (windows). Get the other windows computers to join. Then, in OS X, go to the connect to server dialog box, and enter smb://SERVERHOSTNAME/SHARE (replacing with the actual information. It will ask you for the hostname, username, and password. Then it will mount on your desktop as a share, and you can use the finder to browse. I don't personally know of any way to get OS 9 to connect to a windows share, but I know it's possible if you can get a smb client running on 9 (check apple's knowlage base, i've seen it).

When 10.2 comes out, you'll be able to search for windows shares directly from the network explorer window, but until now, you have to connect to it manually. Hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Thanks! Much help! The system will primarily be : XP, 98, & OS X.

Will i have to manually enter this in everytime I restart? is there anyway for it to show up automatically?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    **Busts out laughing**. I asked the same question. You don't have to retype the server address, but you will have to enter the workgroup, username and password. The following link to my long, drawn out discussion is VERY cool, but if you don't have the server available 24/7, it may hang when trying to connect. Any questions, post here and I'll get back to you, or you can e-mail me directly at [email protected].

Well, as I was trying to find the discussion, it turns out that it has been deleted/moved. Can't find it anywhere. I'm going to attempt to e-mail apple and get an archived version, where I will make a pdf and post it on my site. Guess you only have the one option for now. Sorry
  • Reply 4 of 9
    haha, i was like, ummm, where's the link?

my future goal is also to use this cube as my file server, and serve everything over to my main computer. Is it fast enough to serve to my primary pc w/out lag?

with dave 3.1 does it need to also be on the windows computers' also? or just my apple?

so there's no built-in support in OS X? i MUST purchase this to use my hybrid network efficiently?

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: Badtz ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 9
    You shouldn't need to purchase anything. If you are running OS X, you just need to set up samba. I would post on apple's discussion boards on how to do it. There would be no lag, and it's pretty easy. When 10.2 comes out later this year, they will make this task as simple as sleeping. I've used the betas. In 10.2, all you need to do is go into the sharing preferences, and go to samba, and click the folders you want to share using the browse function, then just mount them in windows. Everything there IS possible with OS X, but you will have to set up the shared folders manually. OS 10.1 DOES have Samba installed, but you just need to go to the Mac OS X's Networking forum at apple.com and post how to set it up. Should take about 10 minutes max. Hope that helps.

~Robert~

P.S. OS X has EVERYTHING dave 3.1 has, and it's free :-) Just post if you need more help.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Does it allow remote printing? So there's no point AT ALL in using dave? :_P
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Definitely! Dave makes it a little easier, but I don't think it's worth the price. Check out this link, for the printing software.

<a href="http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/cups/"; target="_blank">http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/cups/</a>;
  • Reply 8 of 9
    does dave make anything BETTER than what os x comes with? [as in ease of use/performance]
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Ease of use, yes. To tell you the truth, all dave is, is a graphical front end to what os x has. It really doesn't install anything of it's own, just changes some stuff to make it easier to set up.