Microsoft releases Kinectimals game, SkyDrive storage for iOS

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Microsoft on Tuesday released a pair of new applications for the iPhone, with "Kinectimals" representing the first iOS game from the company, and SkyDrive offering users the ability to access their cloud storage.

Kinectimals

Microsoft debuted the Kinectimals brand in 2010 with the launch of its Kinect peripheral for the Xbox 360. With its release on Tuesday, the iOS verison of Kinectimals is Microsoft's first game for Apple's mobile platform.

The company has, however, recently released other gaming-related applications for iOS, including one option that connects to its Xbox Live online service, and another that ties into its Halo franchise of games. But the "Halo Waypoint" application is a companion to the series, and is not an actual game.

Kinectimals is a universal application designed for both iPhone and iPad, and is available on the App Store for $2.99 (iTunes link). The 178MB download is available in English, Japanese and Korean, and requires iOS 4.2 or later.

"This irresistible mobile experience gives you the chance to use your phone to visit the island of Lemuria and play with, care for and fall in love with your very own cub," the official description reads. "Bring your pet with you wherever you go! If you?ve already experienced Kinectimals on Kinect for Xbox 360, your phone becomes the key to unlocking five new cubs on your console. Stand-alone mobile game features Kinectimals' signature visual quality, delightful animation and brand new ways to play with your cub!"

SkyDrive

Also released on Tuesday by Microsoft was "SkyDrive," which gives users access to Microsoft's free cloud storage service. With SkyDrive, users can upload 25 gigabytes worth of files, with a maximum individual file size of 100 megabytes.

The free iPhone application (iTunes link) is a 4.4 megabyte download compatible with the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. It requires iOS 4.0 or later. Features of the software, according to Microsoft, are:

Access all of your SkyDrive content including files shared with you

View recently used documents

Upload photos or videos from your phone

Share a link to any file using email

Create folders. Delete files or folders

Microsoft's flurry of iOS applications in recent weeks comes as the company is rumored to be working to bring its Office suite to the iPad in the near future. Previous iOS applications from Microsoft include "Bing," "OneNote," and "Windows Live Messenger."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    So, uh, Microsoft? Can we have Halo 2 at least on OS X?

"No. Kinectimals."
  • Reply 2 of 26
    It looks likes theres two departments of Microsoft that hate each other.

the iOS Department and WP7 departments.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft on Tuesday released a pair of new applications for the iPhone, with "Kinectimals" representing the first iOS game from the company, and SkyDrive offering users the ability to access their cloud storage.]

The absolute LAST applications I want on my iOS products are majorcrap ones. Putting out the orange barrels and giving these wide berth.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Casual game brand named after and designed exclusively for a gimmicky camera controller of a console, now ported to a mobile platform with tiny touchscreens where you are generally expected to hold the device while playing. In what universe is any part of that a good idea?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Hm... I have to admit I'm a big fan of Microsoft's Photosynth app. Very cool tool for creating "full globe" panoramas. Don't think I'll be bothering with either of these, though.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

The absolute LAST applications I want on my iOS products are majorcrap ones. Putting out the orange barrels and giving these wide berth.

That's fine. As with the software MS makes available for the Mac, you're not being forced to use it.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft on Tuesday released a pair of new applications for the iPhone, with "Kinectimals" representing the first iOS game from the company, and SkyDrive offering users the ability to access their cloud storage.

Kinectimals...

Of course this had to be their first iOS game. It's clearly an homage to OS X . . .

Let's see if they've covered all of the OS X's in the game:

Cheetah - check

Puma - not yet

Jaguar - check

Panther - check

Tiger - check

Leopard - check

Snow Leopard - check (clouded leopard)

Lion - check

Seven out of eight . . . not bad. :-)
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

Hm... I have to admit I'm a big fan of Microsoft's Photosynth app. Very cool tool for creating "full globe" panoramas. Don't think I'll be bothering with either of these, though.

Works crappy for me
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Nice Skydrive

Kinect thing, might be good for the kids

Where the hell is my one note, microsoft? Dont tell me its just USA only, again. theres a wide world out there microsoft - where over six and a half billion people live.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Why is it that Office does not have iOS -- esp. iPad -- versions yet? How lazy are they?

Sheesh, even I managed to get an iOS app (and not a simple one either) out there.......
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Where the hell is my one note, microsoft? Dont tell me its just USA only, again. theres a wide world out there microsoft - where over six and a half billion people live.

I thought they released it world wide for iPad and iPhone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

It looks likes theres two departments of Microsoft that hate each other. The iOS Department and WP7 departments.

I think this decision cam from higher up.

With how quickly these iOS apps are coming out I have to think Microsoft had already written them and they were just sitting there waiting for a "business decision" to be made about releasing stuff on iOS.

For the record I think they made the right choice. IMO they should bring Office, more Xbox Live stuff and Zune Pass next.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

They released the exact same WP7 skydrive app at the same time. The game was already on wp7.

For SkyDrive this is the perfect idea. To succeed in cloud services you have to support all platforms, people don't own just one these days so you have to do all of them. Hence why people by kindles.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

As Steve joked, they're all customers of Apple. Plus, with a sales marketshare under 2% and dropping, they need a little brand recognition.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Maybe Skydrive for iOS will convince Apple to keep iDisk around...
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I try to avoid all ms, adobe and google products (except Google for search).
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

That's kind of pointless.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Firefly seems to think that is kind of "pointless" but I am with you! Why bring mediocrity to my Apple devices. And why reward companies that have no clue what consumers actually want - brilliantly designed, easy to use, technologically transparent products that enrich our lives, and not frustrate them. Just say no to mediocrity.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I thought I'll give SkyDrive a try. Why can't I upload folders?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I thought they released it world wide for iPad and iPhone?

Musta taken time to show up (days) as I searched when they announced, and just before my post, and it didnt show up. Now it does. Bstds set me up.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    It's great that Microsoft has finally released the iOS app for SkyDrive. The UI is basic, but it gets the job done. Will see and compare it to dropbox.

Now if they only would release one for Windows Phone 7