iOS apps bring in 300% more revenue than Android counterparts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

well no he said "you will want to develop for ICS whether you like ICS or not, perhaps even first."

but hey...who needs facts.

I like facts. You will actually find a lot of them here when talking about new technology, like a rumored new feature, or hardware. When it comes to bashing other companies, you should put your fact-addiction on hold and just read like you're watching a comedy.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Also when looking at the words of Eric Schmidt a man with permanent Foot-in-mouth Syndrome you would know what he says is publicity.

Also

You're the best! Two hugs for ya!

There's no heart icon...
  • Reply 23 of 55
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Does this study take into the fact that the android apps are often given away for free. And are add supported. Because then the revenue is split differently between the two platforms.

Good question. It would be absurd to exclude ad revenue, but I’d like them to make that explicit.

Still, even Google makes twice as much ad revenue on iOS as on Android*, and there’s nothing about iOS that makes an ad-supported model difficult, so ads are not a reason for a developer to deploy to Android.

* Now that’s from search usage. But with more great apps on iOS than Android, and an easier-to-use OS and app market, I’m certain more iOS users use (not just download and delete or forget) more apps than their Android counterparts; whereas most Android users DO at least browse and search Google. (And some do nothing more! I have Android friends who do only two things 99% of the time: email and fight with the OS!) So whatever split Google sees, I suspect that what app developers see is skewed even more heavily toward iOS. In other words, hours-spent-in-apps-per-user must be higher on iOS. And with it, ad revenue!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Instead of wasting an enormous amount of time and energy in making an Android version that will only pull in less than a quarter of the revenues as the iOS version, that time is much better spent on working on another new iOS app.

Boldface added. My thoughts exactly! (Or, adding new features to the existing iOS app.)

If I release for Android (and I feel like I probably will make the experiment, ad-supported, some far off day) it will be partly because it brings publicity and attention to the title, and (maybe?) a few actual (iOS) sales. And partly just for the heck of it, because technology is my hobby!

By the way, another reason it’s easier to develop for iOS: there is a great, cheap, no-contract iOS device running the latest OS: the iPod Touch. If your phone is not an iPhone, that’s no problem! There isn’t anything equally good on Android if you don’t want to buy an Android phone and pay its contract! (And if there was, one device isn’t as good a test bed for the zillions of Android variations out there. One iPod Touch alone isn’t ideal, but it’s better than the Android situation!)

Lastly, of course, iOS has the iPad. It owns the tablet market. What developer wants to ignore that?
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

"Whether you like ICS or not, and again I like it a great deal, you will want to develop for that platform, and perhaps even first."

It his beliefe that ownership without utilization is all that is important in smartphones.

Wow! You just hit android and win phone 7 in one sentence. I've got to remember this!

Thanks!
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:

You're just arguing semantics. It was clear what he meant.

If you have a problem with it, then you should complain to the numerous publications and sites that have reported his words as meaning exactly that.

What you think he said and what he actually said are two completely different things.

And you HAVE to know that.

Hatred doesn't require lies, Apple ][
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I like facts. You will actually find a lot of them here when talking about new technology, like a rumored new feature, or hardware. When it comes to bashing other companies, you should put your fact-addiction on hold and just read like you're watching a comedy.

lol...I should...but I'm combative my nature...I am entertained by argumentation.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

What you think he said and what he actually said are two completely different things.

And you HAVE to know that.

Hatred doesn't require lies, Apple ][

You should take it up with AppleInsider, because this appears in the OP. Are you claiming that they're lying too?

Analytics firm Flurry Analytics culled through its data in a report on Tuesday (via Daring Fireball) to examine Google Chairman Eric Schmidt's recent claim that app developers will prioritize Android over iOS in 6 months time.

I guess thenextweb is also lying too?

Is Eric Schmidt right? Will developers prefer Android in 6 months?

http://thenextweb.com/google/2011/12...s-in-6-months/

Do a Google search yourself. Plenty of sites have characterized his words as meaning what has been said. I guess they're all lying too?
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

well no he said "you will want to develop for ICS whether you like ICS or not, perhaps even first."

but hey...who needs facts.

and the exact quote doesn't change the meaning AT ALL. but hey...nice try at assembling some kind of coherent counterpoint.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    The Mole, I can feel him watching....
  • Reply 30 of 55
    I just have to applaud an article that uses percentages properly All too often people would crow about that 24 cent to 1 dollar ratio as being 400% more instead of 300%. The math geek in me smiles

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

The Mole, I can feel him watching....

Nah that's some of the more fanatical around here sniffing around for new heretics BTW, the S in SSquirrel stands for Slappy. I always do a slight double take when I see your posts.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

and the exact quote doesn't change the meaning AT ALL. but hey...nice try at assembling some kind of coherent counterpoint.

So "Developers will code for android first whether they like it or not," is the same as, "you will want to develop for ICS whether you like ICS or not, perhaps even first."

Really?

I guess "I stayed on the Apple board of directors for as long as I could until I couldn't stand it anymore," is the same as "I stayed on the Apple BoD for as long as I could until I couldn't stay anymore."

Words mean things.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

You should take it up with AppleInsider, because this appears in the OP. Are you claiming that they're lying too?

Analytics firm Flurry Analytics culled through its data in a report on Tuesday (via Daring Fireball) to examine Google Chairman Eric Schmidt's recent claim that app developers will prioritize Android over iOS in 6 months time.

I guess thenextweb is also lying too?

Is Eric Schmidt right? Will developers prefer Android in 6 months?

http://thenextweb.com/google/2011/12...s-in-6-months/

Do a Google search yourself. Plenty of sites have characterized his words as meaning what has been said. I guess they're all lying too?

And they were all wrong...what they are basing their thoughts off of are not the words that were spoken.

Why must you all insist on continuing a lie?

Also, are you suggesting that the video recording of Eric Schmidt NOT saying what you all think he is saying somehow is a lie? a fabrication? what?
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:

Does this study take into the fact that the android apps are often given away for free. And are add supported. Because then the revenue is split differently between the two platforms.

Like the tens of thousands of free iOS apps?
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I just have to applaud an article that uses percentages properly All too often people would crow about that 24 cent to 1 dollar ratio as being 400% more instead of 300%. The math geek in me smiles

Nah that's some of the more fanatical around here sniffing around for new heretics BTW, the S in SSquirrel stands for Slappy. I always do a slight double take when I see your posts.

Of course it's not mathematically precise without the + sign following the 300%.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Of course it's not mathematically precise without the + sign following the 300%.

Eh that's just a slight bit of rounding. It's still way closer than saying 400%
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

So "Developers will code for android first whether they like it or not," is the same as, "you will want to develop for ICS whether you like ICS or not, perhaps even first."

Really?

Yes, it is.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    This article outlines one of the reasons, imo, that the comparison of Mac/pc against iOS/Android doesn't hold water.

Developers, of course, created applications for the pc rather than the Mac because that's where the money was/is. Volume also meant $$$.

If the same reasoning is held for iOS/Android then it becomes fairly obvious why developers will flock to iOS if this article is true.

Android might hold the market share crown but exposure without financial gains just won't cut it for the majority of developers... again, imo.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This is perfect summary of what I have been telling people along with what is wrong with the Google/Android business model. Everyone complained when Apple was taking cut of music sale and then App sale, however, As you nicely pointed out. Those cuts are to cover all the things a developer does not have to deal with in the end.

If you think about it looks like Apple (Jobs) seriously did their work and understand the problems people would encounter and set out to set up a system they made it easy to everyone to enjoy the product.

I have to say, I did not even think about your point about someone pirating your app and selling or putting malware into. They is a really serious issue and not sure why anyone would go down the android path for that reason alone. Imagine is that happen on Android phone own by a company and somehow you apps was used to gain access to company information, You would expect one of those nice letters from the company saying you are being sued.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

When I finish my iOS game, Android is not a priority; but I might well give it a shot one day, after the game is established on iOS and I have time to kill.

As a developer, my hesitation is more than just the lack of profit in supporting Android:

• Fragmentation: how many of my users are really on the latest Android version? Very few are even ABLE to run it at any given time, and fewer still actually do so. So my game must be hobbled by supporting old OS’s, far more than is the case with iOS.

• I’ve got spend agonizing amounts of time TESTING different Android configurations: a zillion hardware designs with a zillion carrier modifications and numerous aging versions of Android OS. Or, I can let my unsuspecting customers do the testing... but I’ve still got to follow up on what they report!

• From what I’ve heard, Android developers have to field customer service contacts that Apple handles for you on iOS. Stuff relating to the download/purchase/refunds and basic compatibility is more likely to end up in YOUR lap. And let’s face it, Android users suffer more problems than iOS users: you’re going to not only waste time, but face the wrath of users frustrated by the whole experience, without Apple to take any of that off your shoulders.

• I might need to go ad-supported, which is how Google thinks the world should be. Then my customers haven’t paid with money (only with their time and aggregated demographic data), so if they have problems, crashes, lose their high scores/progress... well, tough luck? But I really hate to shovel in ads! And I hate to settle for sending out something of poor-quality even if I end up with no good way to avoid it.

• It’s easier to pirate for Android (no need to jailbreak); but the KIND of piracy that worries me is when someone steals your app and then RESELLS it (or gives it away), possibly adding malware in the process. Doesn't happen on iOS. Guess who gets the support calls/emails for those pirated versions?

• Better middleware support on iOS. Just as app developers prefer iOS, so do middleware vendors making useful components so you don’t have to reinvent every wheel.

• And, since my app is a game, Game Center (achievements, multiplayer, push notifications, scoreboards) is a great draw for iOS.

I could deal with all of the above. Some do, at a cost in time and money. Some lose money doing so! Some even make a little. How many make ENOUGH money to be worth it? Very few, I suspect—and I would guess most of those tend to pretty simple, even shovelware, apps—but thus easier to test/support.

I’m sure that’s part of why you just don’t see the same quality of apps on Android to match the best on iOS. Still, after years, they just aren’t there. Android fans settle for “good enough I guess” and pretend those apps are the same. They’re not. (The other part is failing of the OS itself and its haphazard, primitive handling of UI. Possibly not a problem for my game, but a problem for non-game apps.)

• Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:

And they were all wrong...what they are basing their thoughts off of are not the words that were spoken.

Why must you all insist on continuing a lie?

Also, are you suggesting that the video recording of Eric Schmidt NOT saying what you all think he is saying somehow is a lie? a fabrication? what?

Read the entire context:

'After an Android user in the audience expressed irritation at the fact that many hot apps showed up on iOS well before Android, Schmidt said ?my prediction is that six months from now you?ll say the opposite.?

?Ultimately, application vendors are driven by volume, and volume is favored by the open approach Google is taking. There are so many manufacturers working so hard to distribute Android phones globally,? Schmidt said. ?Whether you like ICS or not, and again I like it a great deal, you will want to develop for that platform, and perhaps even first. Think of it as a transition over the next 6 months.?'

Eric is plainly saying in 6 months time, Android development will be first over iOS. "my prediction is that six months from now you?ll say the opposite." can be taken no other way.

"Ultimately, application vendors are driven by volume, and volume is favored by the open approach Google is taking."

No, ultimately, application vendors are driven by profit. Ownership of a platform without utilization is not a success driven strategy.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

No, ultimately, application vendors are driven by profit. Ownership of a platform without utilization is not a success driven strategy.

In reality there's really not any profit per-se for most iOS developers. As recently as April the average yearly gross revenue for an iOS publisher was $8500. Yes you read that right. Not hundreds of thousands, but less than $10K that might have to be shared with several team members like testers, coders, managers and the like, and still deducting other assorted development and support costs. I know three times more than Android probably sounds like a lot, but in reality most of those app developers better keep their day jobs too.