Microsoft patches Office 2011 14.1.4, Apple updates Logic Express 9.1.6

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft has released a new Office for Mac patch and Apple has delivered a new update for its now discontinued Logic Express 9.

Microsoft has released a new Office 2011 patch to 14.1.4, fixing "critical issues" and helping to "improve security," noting that the update "includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code."

The update enhances Office 2011 Service Pack 1, which was designated as the release version 14.1.0. It updates Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook in all of the various packages the suite is sold under.

Gone but not forgotten: Logic Express 9

After releasing Logic Pro 9 and MainStage 2 as digital downloads in the Mac App Store last week, Apple erased Logic Express 9 as a product.

Upon hitting the Mac App Store, Logic Pro 9's price was slashed from $499 to just $199, erasing the differentiated price point of the more limited Logic Express package and terminating it as a product.

Apple has now released an update for Logic Express users that delivers the enhancements added to Logic Pro in version 9.1.6. The new update includes compatibility fixes for Mac OS X Lion, adds new performance and stability patches, fixes some audio issues, and adds a variety of other improvements in working with plugins, instruments and control surfaces.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Office 2011 was supposed to get versions, auto-save, and full screen support this year sometime. They've only got a few weeks left to meet the deadline. Patches are nice, but lets get some real support! \
  • Reply 2 of 6
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    That MS will release an update that does not force you to have the Office Package in a forced location in "/Applications".

Someday. It gets old moving Office out of where I want to keep it (/Users/Shared/Applications/Tools). The last thing I want is a cluttered up /Applications directory.

Sigh.

NOTE: Yes I have filed multiple bug reports on this.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

That MS will release an update that does not force you to have the Office Package in a forced location in "/Applications".

Someday. It gets old moving Office out of where I want to keep it (/Users/Shared/Applications/Tools). The last thing I want is a cluttered up /Applications directory.

Sigh.

NOTE: Yes I have filed multiple bug reports on this.

Not a bug so good luck with that. Apple also forces you to keep its applications in /applications. Actually you can move them anywhere you want but when update time comes you are S.O.L That's the way it has always been with OS X so just get used to it. Why make it hard for yourself by fighting windmills.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicroma View Post

Office 2011 was supposed to get versions, auto-save, and full screen support this year sometime. They've only got a few weeks left to meet the deadline. Patches are nice, but lets get some real support! \

And how about real support for importing and exporting PST files in Outlook 2011? And being able to switch between Reply and Reply All within a message? But depending on which company people are referring to, lack of feature parity with Windows versions is either not an issue, or it is a sign of a company's incompetence.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nterprise.html
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Be careful with this patch. I'm using 10.7.2 on an iMac 3.4GHz Core i7. After the update Outlook no longer recognizes that I have read an email and it does not allow me to move any emails to folders. I can delete them.

I don't know what else might be broken with this Microsoft update, I would use extreme caution when updating.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael O'Connell View Post

Be careful with this patch. I'm using 10.7.2 on an iMac 3.4GHz Core i7. After the update Outlook no longer recognizes that I have read an email and it does not allow me to move any emails to folders. I can delete them.

I don't know what else might be broken with this Microsoft update, I would use extreme caution when updating.

Arrrgh, tell me about it. I have the same problem. It worked so beautifully for me on the previous version. Is there a way to back date?