Alleged iPad 3 component hints Apple is working on 'major redesign'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Another component claimed to be from Apple's third-generation iPad has offered yet another indication that the anticipated device could feature a significantly modified internal design.

Parts reseller TVC-Mall.com is currently selling the alleged "iPad 3" component, which is a microphone flex cable ribbon replacement. As noted by Cydia Blog (via MacRumors), the part shows a different arrangement in internal circuitry than with Apple's current-generation iPad 2.

"The tail end of the part makes a 'U-turn,' whereas the iPad 2's Microphone Mic Flex Cable makes almost 90-degree turn both ways," the report said.

The first claimed iPad 3 part surfaced in July, and it too hinted that the next touchscreen tablet from Apple could feature material design changes, at least internally. But the latest component comes as rumors of Apple's next iPad begin to pick up steam ahead of an anticipated early-2012 launch.

Recent reports have claimed Apple's manufacturing partners have already begun delivering parts and components for the third-generation iPad to original equipment manufacturers. Those manufacturing partners are also reportedly drawing down production of the iPad 2.

It was in early December of last year that third-party cases began to surface showing off a redesigned shell for Apple's second-generation iPad. Those cases proved to accurately reflect the flat back, rear camera and redesigned speaker grille of the eventually released iPad 2.

Apple's next iPad is expected to feature a high-resolution Retina Display, much like the pixel-packed screens currently found on the iPhone and iPod touch. New LCD panels for the so-called "iPad 3" are expected to be built by Sharp, and could feature its new "IGZO" displays, which allow for thinner designs and improved battery life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Dig up something really juicy lke the internals description of A6. Slightly altered cables tell us little about the meat of the machine. To quote that little old lady from the commercial "where is the beef".
  • Reply 2 of 22
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Parts reseller TVC-Mall.com is currently selling the alleged "iPad 3" component, which is a microphone flex cable ribbon replacement. As noted by Cydia Blog (via MacRumors), the part shows a different arrangement in internal circuitry than with Apple's current-generation iPad 2.

"The tail end of the part makes a 'U-turn,' whereas the iPad 2's Microphone Mic Flex Cable makes almost 90-degree turn both ways," the report said.

So which part is this? It's obviously the front and back of the same part, but the article is vague on whether this is the new part or the old. From what little description is given, this appears to be the iPad2 part, as it makes 90-degree turns twice.

Then again, even if both old and new parts were shown, I'm not sure what this would tell us. I'm just confused.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Then again, even if both old and new parts were shown, I'm not sure what this would tell us. I'm just confused.

iPad 2S is next.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

To quote that little old lady from the commercial "where is the beef".

The beef is what's inside. This rumored part is also inside. With the iPad, I think what people really want to know is, "Where's the bun"?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    'Major redesign', as in: another rounded rectangle.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... "The tail end of the part makes a 'U-turn,' (180 degrees) whereas the iPad 2's Microphone Mic Flex Cable makes almost 90-degree turn both ways, (also 180 degrees) " the report said. ...

Whut?

This makes no sense at all as a verbal description of the difference between the two parts and to make matters worse you show a picture of two parts which appear to be identical? Is that supposed to be a picture of the old part compared to the new? The old part from two different angles? The new one from two different angles?

Is it really that hared to make coherent, understandable sentences and to put a descriptive label on the picture?

I find it amazing that such a long-standing and popular site as AppleInsider consistently and constantly f*cks up the language and descriptions in their articles. Who's running this joint anyway? Did you go to high school at all?

Edit: Also, if this part indicates a redesigned iPad, it might make sense to explain how this is known, or exactly what kind of redesign is implied. Even if you had a clear description of the difference between the parts that still really tells us nothing at all without some kind of descriptive explanation.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    That thing is UGLY. I really hope this isn't the direction Apple is taking their iPad 3. I, for one, won't be buying one if they do.

This design is SO un-Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I suspect that the iPad 3 will have some major upgrades. Display, Rear facing Camera, Processor and others. So I will probably buy one. I have the first gen iPad and love it so I bet I will love the gen 3 iPad. Got to have the cell unit built in though.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

So which part is this? It's obviously the front and back of the same part, but the article is vague on whether this is the new part or the old. From what little description is given, this appears to be the iPad2 part, as it makes 90-degree turns twice.

They are obviously different parts. The top one is for the Northern Hemisphere while the bottom is for the Sourthern Hemisphere where electrons flow in the opposite direction.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macwise View Post

That thing is UGLY. I really hope this isn't the direction Apple is taking their iPad 3. I, for one, won't be buying one if they do.

This design is SO un-Apple.

Are you? making a joke or is there an image in the story that I'm missing?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Heh y'all, This is just media hype doing what they do best is try to announce what Apple will do far in advance ... which Apple will never do. Why should they. This article is really garbage. I don't even know why I am posting ... just hoping everyone gets some patience. All in good time. Those who said they wouldn't buy this, don't even know what they wouldn't buy
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but one only has to look at previous Apple "successful" products, iPod, shuffle, nano, iPhone, to see Apple did total redesigns on their products that, at the time, were already industry leaders. Some mis-steps to be sure, but, on the whole, Apple has done a lot more things right than wrong.

Being 10 years ahead of the competition was one of Steve's guiding principles. Apple has their knee on the competition's neck and is not about show any mercy!

I fully expect an elegant redesign of the iPad, iPhone, and a 15" MBA that will be another home run for Apple!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Oh, this is BS.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you? making a joke or is there an image in the story that I'm missing?

Indeed.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    So it seems after Apple brought out an iPad 1.2, we're now heading for the iPad 1.2.3?

No reason whatsoever to upgrade from my original iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Apple should start a false rumour of some really stupid redesign such as a canvas screen cover with a hand wound roller, something really, really stupid, then see if Samsung is dumb enough to show it off at CES before they start work on their revised Galaxy Tab whatever, as soon as they have a real iPad 3 to copy.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    To be fair to AI, they are re-quoting another website and didn't actually come up with the vague description of the part themselves. I thought that was clear from the original story....but I agree they could do better

It's not really "that hared" as you say, not to f*ck up the language... ;-) I thought your typo was appropriately ironic in light of the complaint (I hope you forgive my pedantry, just couldn't resist a post) :-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Whut?

This makes no sense at all as a verbal description of the difference between the two parts and to make matters worse you show a picture of two parts which appear to be identical? Is that supposed to be a picture of the old part compared to the new? The old part from two different angles? The new one from two different angles?

Is it really that hared to make coherent, understandable sentences and to put a descriptive label on the picture?

I find it amazing that such a long-standing and popular site as AppleInsider consistently and constantly f*cks up the language and descriptions in their articles. Who's running this joint anyway? Did you go to high school at all?

Edit: Also, if this part indicates a redesigned iPad, it might make sense to explain how this is known, or exactly what kind of redesign is implied. Even if you had a clear description of the difference between the parts that still really tells us nothing at all without some kind of descriptive explanation.

• Reply 18 of 22
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This could well end up like the iPhone 4S. "Oh my gawd. They didn't change the form factor. How will people know I bought a new iPad?"
  • Reply 19 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They are reading too much in to it.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Apple should start a false rumour of some really stupid redesign such as a canvas screen cover with a hand wound roller, something really, really stupid, then see if Samsung is dumb enough to show it off at CES before they start work on their revised Galaxy Tab whatever, as soon as they have a real iPad 3 to copy.

Whether Sammy took the bait or not, the rumor would be treated as fact here. The details would be argued about, shipping dates claimed, and the brilliant features it brings with it over the competition would be posted sprinkled with assorted ad-hom name-calling.

Nah, we already have enough of that without starting a new rumor.