DVD question...getting onto hard drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a way to transfer the contents of a DVD disk (in my case, a 90 minute concert video) to the hard drive?

In other words, is there a way to do with DVDs what you can do with iTunes and music CDs (extract the file from the CD, convert it to a format that you can have on your hard drive)?

Can this be done with DVDs? Is there software or something that does this?

Sorry...I know nothing about this sort of stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    b.b. Posts: 11member
    it's definitely possible, but depending on what you wanne do, it's quite a hassle.

Use DVDextractor 0.9. This thing lets you make disk-images of dvd disc. You can then mount the disc image and play it back using apple DVD-player.

DVDextractor also allows you to de-mux the .vob streams on the dvd disc. You can save the content of the disc as mp2 files (for video) and .aif,.ac3,.dts files (for audio). Then you'd have to decode/re-endcode those files to have a quicktime movie out of it...

problem with DVD-extractor is that it hasn't got a visual interface: you have to 'guess' which part of the dvd you're ripping.

hope this helps

b.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Sigh...holy cow, I was afraid it would be something complex and intricate like that. See, I'm quite a doofus and was hoping for something more iTunes-esque in ease-of-use and so forth.

Thanks for your reply! Basically, I just wanted to get my friend a copy of this concert in a format she could simply have on her iMac and watch at her leisure.

That's what I get for trying to out-foxThe Man.

• Reply 3 of 8
    peerpeepeerpee Posts: 44member
    In OS X you can doubleclick the DVD disc icon on the desktop, copy all the folders "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" to the HD, and then use the new "Open VIDEO_TS file" option in the FILE menu of DVD Player. This will play DVD files direct from the HD.

It was a new feature in one of the last updates of DVD Player for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Are you SERIOUS?!?! Now THAT'S the kind of solution I was looking for!

• Reply 5 of 8
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Peerpee:

<strong>In OS X you can doubleclick the DVD disc icon on the desktop, copy all the folders "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" to the HD, and then use the new "Open VIDEO_TS file" option in the FILE menu of DVD Player. This will play DVD files direct from the HD.

It was a new feature in one of the last updates of DVD Player for Mac OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I gotta give that a try. Sounds cool.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    There is a small but growing community on the net working at a codec

for dvd compression, instead of copying a huge dvd disc to your hd, find

the tools, and your dvd disc will be under 700 mg.

---&lt;LIST&gt; START SEARCH-DIVX

[ 06-13-2002: Message edited by: dmgeist ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Peerpee:

<strong>In OS X you can doubleclick the DVD disc icon on the desktop, copy all the folders "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" to the HD, and then use the new "Open VIDEO_TS file" option in the FILE menu of DVD Player. This will play DVD files direct from the HD.

It was a new feature in one of the last updates of DVD Player for Mac OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that would be good for saving battery life on laptops...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    Does anybody know if you can play DVD files even without a DVD-ROM drive (after, say, copying it over a network)? It seems to me that would be useful for older laptops, for which large hard drives are easier to come by than DVD-ROM drives.