Sony launches PlayStation Vita handheld to reclaim mobile gaming

Comments

• Reply 41 of 223
    Quote:

Sony released its PlayStation Vita handheld gaming console in Japan on Saturday in a bid to recapture share in the mobile gaming market from Apple's iOS.

Come on. These devices are NOT in competition. Maybe iOS took some gaming dollars from extremely casual handheld players, but these are not the kind of players that would even spend $100 on a dedicated handheld gaming device.

iOS took over the mobile phone gaming market and has hugely expanded it (as previous mobile phones had garbage games). Notice how Nintendo/Sony's handhelds aren't really selling any worse than before.

More accurately Sony is competing directly with Nintendo on the 3DS, although even that is debatable. The DS/3DS has the youth market cornered, while the PSP/PS Vita are clearly aimed at an older audience, hence the heftier price tag.

Now about the console itself, personally, my only reservation is that the game library looks far worse than the 3DS at this point. Uncharted is basically the only game worth buying the system for. It remains to be seen whether the Vita gets more software support than the PSP. I don't think the PSP was ever worth it because it just didn't have enough good games.

Nintendo always has their big franchises that are always executed with quality. I think the Vita does have an advantage over the PSP in that many console games will be very easy to port over to the Vita. Plus, the behind-the-system touch panels are an innovative feature to me.
  • Reply 42 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

These companies just don't get it. How is this any different than the Nintendo DSI or XL or 3DS, or Sony PSP or PSPgo for that matter? The addition of 3G is not the answer.

What makes the iPhone, iPod and iPad the 700lb gorilla in the room is not only the fluid and extremely portable design, but the infrastructure. Mobile gaming is where the big money is. Sure, I like to sit down to an in-depth PS3 game every now and then, but with my busy lifestyle, all I really want is a brief distraction from time to time. That's what makes the Apple system great, is that it has millions of distracting titles to play, and it does a host of other things as well, with Siri being at the top of the potential list. This of course does not include the holistic approach that Apple is shooting for with flawless integration of devices, both mobile and home, as well as tying it all together with iCloud.

Again, Sony just doesn't get this, but really should learn from the tablet failures, as all I heard were about how heavy the specs were on some of the emerging devices over the Apple iPad, but at the end of the day, they never made it out of the gate, as Apple has planned this for years.

Portable gaming has taken on a new form, and offerings from Nintendo and Sony are missing the mark by a large margin.

The big thing is that Sony and Nintendo need an app store. Their current implementations don't count - they just aren't as good as the app store and the value isn't there and the software isn't there.

The other thing is that most people in Japan have train commutes to work, so handheld gaming for a long period of time is very popular there. The Vita will no doubt sell like crazy in Japan, I believe both the 3DS and PSP are currently the top 2 selling consoles in Japan on a weekly basis just about every week.

But here handhelds are sold mostly to kids in the US and the big reason to get one over an iPhone is that there are no monthly fees (which wouldn't fly in the kids market). And I think it's one reason why the Vita will fail to sell well in the US.

Anyone who lives in a big city here in the US who takes the subway to work would be in the market for these devices over the iPod or iPhone, but there are probably not enough of those people in the US for it to be a big market.
  • Reply 43 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm going to introduce a radical thought here, which is that there are no "hard core gamers," there are just people who like to play games.

How about this: There are no hardcore gamers, just hardcore investments in gaming.
  • Reply 44 of 223
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Says who? Who made you the arbiter?

Says common sense. Stop trolling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The only one that's actually a real sentence (Hardware mainly created for games is best for games), is easily disprovable by looking at one of the biggest names in the gaming field, Nintendo. They consistently beat out Sony at mobile gaming and their hardware is famously some of the worst there is.

You didn't disprove anything. Nintendo does hardware mainly created for games. Apple doesn't. Nintendo's and Sony's marketing is solely orientated on gaming (with very rare exceptions), contrary to Apple's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

My DSLR (Canon 7D) is far better at taking photos then my 4s, not shock there but that doesn't make my phone less amazing, i carry my iPhone with me everywhere.

Be careful with what you say, someone here is going to tell you that the iPhone 4S is better than your Canon for taking pictures. I keep coming here for news and it's so funny to see such fanboism. This may be the heart of Apple fanboism. People talking about patents and comparing iOS games to playstation or Nintendo titles... Pff that's just sad. They clearly don't know what they are talking about. (and don't try to explain that the gaming infrastructure and hardware is better on the Vita, people will think you are crazy).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about this: There are no hardcore gamers, just hardcore investments in gaming.

I played 8 hours a day of Skyrim for the past 2 weeks. Can't I be called a hardcore gamer?

December 17, 2011 :

SolipsismX decides that the term "hardcore gamer" is inappropriate.
  • Reply 45 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

The problem is the price of the games. If they come in at $4.99 it has a chance at $40 it's going to struggle.

Perhaps. It depends on the titles. People pay those kinds of prices (and more) for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, for example, and that has sold in the multi-millions. For me, the problem is portability. Not in whether the Vita is physically portable, but in why you would carry another device besides your smartphone just for the purpose of gaming, if you're on the move? Sony's answer is that the Vita has "real games" but that was the same play book they used with the PSP. And that didn't fend off declining sales. I had a PSP, I used to carry it around, I used to buy top tier games for $40. Been there, done that. I'd rather pay $60 and get the full console version that I can play on my TV with a real console controller and carry an iPhone for portable gaming.
  • Reply 46 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I played 8 hours a day of Skyrim for the past 2 weeks. Can't I be called a hardcore gamer?

My quip about hardcore lamers is sounding apropos. But seriously, why does 8 hours x 14 days of Skyrim make you more "hardcore" than someone who studies/plays chess, Scrabble/WwF, or Angry Birds for as long or longer. I'm studied chess, memorized every 2 and 3 letter words in Scrabble, and made 3 stars on every level of Angry Birds HD but I wouldn't call myself hardcore despite the time and effort put into this entertainment.
  • Reply 47 of 223
    Quote:

My quip about hardcore lamers is sounding apropos. But seriously, why does 8 hours x 14 days of Skyrim make you more "hardcore" than someone who studies/plays chess, Scrabble/WwF, or Angry Birds for as long or longer. I'm studied chess, memorized every 2 and 3 letter words in Scrabble, and made 3 stars on every level of Angry Birds HD but I wouldn't call myself hardcore despite the time and effort put into this entertainment.

Did you play as long or longer? In that case I'd call that hardcore. Look, I didn't invent the term. Everybody knows what that means. There is always going to be someone who's more hardcore than you and says that you aren't hardcore. That doesn't change the fact that someone who plays a few minutes a day on his iPhone isn't a hardcore gamer.

And kudos for the 2-3 letter words lol
  • Reply 48 of 223
    Quote:

Did you play as long or longer? In that case I'd call that hardcore.

So it has absolutely nothing to do with what game, just how long?

Quote:

Look, I didn't invent the term. Everybody knows what that means.

What does it mean?
  • Reply 49 of 223
    hardcore |ˈhɑrd ˈˌkɔ(ə)r|

noun

- the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement:

OK, that certainly fits with someone who is willing to build their own PC for $3k just to have a couple more frame rates than the next guy and some goofy accessories that assist in making the gaming experience more involved, so I guess what perplexes me is why anyone would brag about such a setup (imagine someone with a luxury sports car bragging. That's right, they're a douche). And that's a real investment, unlike buying a consumer handheld gaming device.
  • Reply 50 of 223
    Quote:

Did you play as long or longer? In that case I'd call that hardcore. Look, I didn't invent the term. Everybody knows what that means. There is always going to be someone who's more hardcore than you and says that you aren't hardcore. That doesn't change the fact that someone who plays a few minutes a day on his iPhone isn't a hardcore gamer.

And kudos for the 2-3 letter words lol

Sounds like it's the investment in the game play not the equipment that is being used that makes one hardcore as defined by the New Oxford American English dictionary. That means that someone who buys books and spends hours per day playing Suduko or crossword puzzles are hardcore.
  • Reply 51 of 223
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Hey Sony! Just an FYI ... it's 2011, not 2007. You're about four years late to the party ...

And Sony just built a more powerful system than what Apple has.

Hey, I love Apple. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2.

But I don't let that blind myself from other products like yourself.

THe iDevices have some pretty nice games and touch controls work pretty well with a number of games, some better than I thought.

But........

Some games are just flat out better with physical controls. You can't spin that any other way.

The online functionality with games is superior to what is on the iPhone/iPad right now. Just check out some Vita videos.

I have one on pre-order. I look forward to it.
  • Reply 52 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

I think the iPad 3 will share a similar CPU/GPU

4 core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore

4 core SGX543MP4+

Though, I'd wish the iPad 3 would instead have a dual-core Cortex-A15, plus a PowerVR SGX600 (Rogue) series which are reported to be faster and use less power.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/20/a...2012-quad-cor/

http://www.electronista.com/articles...gx600.details/

I imagine that will come in late 2012 - early 2013.

The next iPad will probably come very close to the Vita specs.

Does not make the iPad a true gamer device when you don't have physical controls.

But that just makes me want both devices.
  • Reply 53 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

And Sony just built a more powerful system than what Apple has.

More powerful?

Just another example of people thinking that they get to redefine language just because they're some kind of uber hardcore game jockey.

If you're stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere and your car breaks down, how much is your Vita going to help you?

If you're on the road and your boss sends you an important email, what good is your Vita?

If you need to track your finances, what good is your Vita?

Sure - if your life revolves around being a 'cooler' game player than anyone else, feel free to brag about your Vita. But don't give me the crap about it being superior or more powerful or how no one else matters because they don't share your insane fantasy with pixels on a screen.
  • Reply 54 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just can't get over Sony's timing. Bring out a new gaming device right AFTER Christmas? What is their thinking behind that?

Is there anything shipping right now with an ARM A9 quad core and a quad core SGX543mp4?

Apple ain't shipping one currently.
  • Reply 55 of 223
    Quote:

Sounds like it's the investment in the game play not the equipment that is being used that makes one hardcore as defined by the New Oxford American English dictionary. That means that someone who buys books and spends hours per day playing Suduko or crossword puzzles are hardcore.

That's what I said.

That doesn't mean that someone who likes to play games that were developed for longer than one week and cost 50$ and come only on the Vita because of its better hardware is an idiot.
  • Reply 56 of 223
    Quote:

More powerful?

Just another example of people thinking that they get to redefine language just because they're some kind of uber hardcore game jockey.

If you're stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere and your car breaks down, how much is your Vita going to help you?

If you're on the road and your boss sends you an important email, what good is your Vita?

Sure - if your life revolves around being a 'cooler' game player than anyone else, feel free to brag about your Vita. But don't give me the crap about it being superior or more powerful or how no one else matters because they don't share your insane fantasy with pixels on a screen.

Yeah, you're right. The Vita isn't even able to make coffee. Oh wait.

You can send emails with the 3G vita via the browser. You can't with the wifi model, just as you can't with a wifi iPad.

You should try to understand, even if it may be difficult to you, that people buy a Vita to play and have fun, not to brag.

And it should be clear to anyone that you are the one trying to redefine language, more powerful one.
  • Reply 57 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Perhaps. It depends on the titles. People pay those kinds of prices (and more) for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, for example, and that has sold in the multi-millions. For me, the problem is portability. Not in whether the Vita is physically portable, but in why you would carry another device besides your smartphone just for the purpose of gaming, if you're on the move? Sony's answer is that the Vita has "real games" but that was the same play book they used with the PSP. And that didn't fend off declining sales. I had a PSP, I used to carry it around, I used to buy top tier games for $40. Been there, done that. I'd rather pay $60 and get the full console version that I can play on my TV with a real console controller and carry an iPhone for portable gaming.

Not going to get Call of Duty 3 on the iPad/iPhone for $.99.

Or even free with ads annoying the crap out of you.
  • Reply 58 of 223
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

The vita will separate the gamers from the posers.

I love the iOS devices but as far as gaming goes, they don't come close to a dedicated gaming console, don't fool yourselves people.

My iPhone 4s & iPad 2 are for other things & very very part time for games when i have a few minutes to kill, id play PC or console games when real gaming needs to be done

i'll order the vita pretty soon, Uncharted look very rad indeed.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Don't fool yourself. The PSP has never been huge, and this device will be no different. QUALITY of gaming is subjective, and not only that, but it appears to matter less and less. People are choosing all-in-one mobile devices over multiple, dedicated-feature mobile devices.

Understand: It makes NO difference if the quality of gameplay (being more traditional aka old style) is better on a joy stick and button device. This is proving to NOT be a purchasing factor. While it may make sense to you, its not making sense to the majority of consumers. The majority are choosing to play simpler games, as the trade off, and gaining the benefits of, 1) A single device, 2) inexpensive titles.

What Sony does not get and will never get is that $30 and up games are out to lunch when it comes to portable. Consoles will always have their niche gaming market, but any and all future attempts at taking that to the mobile space is going to fail.

Also, a little thing that Sony didn't expect....iOS games are getting pretty good. They still don't hold a candle to say a PS3 game (again, doesn't seem to matter according to purchase decisions), but the better they get the shorter that "leg up" gets. I mean, look at Dead Space on iOS. If that is whats available now on current hardware, imagine where we'll be in the next 2 years.
  • Reply 59 of 223
    Quote:

More powerful?

The Vita is not marketed as a multi purpose device.

If the iPhone can run an app, it could be done on the Vita.

Sony knows many people have smart phones that run their fart apps, virtual cigarette lighters, etc.

Vita is concentrating on gaming with some social media thrown in.

No need to bash a product. Why the hate?
  • Reply 60 of 223
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

The next iPad will probably come very close to the Vita specs.

Does not make the iPad a true gamer device when you don't have physical controls.

But that just makes me want both devices.

Again, this mindset is wrong, and market will prove it. It is literally IDENTICAL to the people who thought phones with no physical keyboard were toast. They were simply wrong, and never admitted it. Gaming devices will follow suit.