Sony launches PlayStation Vita handheld to reclaim mobile gaming

Comments

• Reply 101 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthijst View Post

Why Apple hasnt created an iPhone cradle with analog sticks and shoulder buttons is beyond me: they could have proper FPS and driving games?

The inelegance, the lack of point, the idea running contrariwise to their mission?

Quote:

GTA3 runs great on my 4S, but it annoys the hell out of me that i have to use the crappy touch controls to drive a car,

Doesn't that tell you the developers should have done something different, then?
  • Reply 102 of 223
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

No. We'll just call you an Addict. Your time spent gaming isn't a measure of your hardcore label. It's the quality of gaming that would go to labeling you as an elite game player.

Back in the 80s to very early 90s Arcades were surrounded by guys who dumped in routinely $50 a day at an arcade. They all stunk at the games. Then an expert would come in with a single quarter and play Defenders, Galaga, Q-bert, Pacman, Ms. Pacman, Beserker and others for hours as the idiots all stood around in awe.

That person was the talented gamer. They never called themselves hardcore. We called them experts.

As you twice say yourself, we are not talking about experts or elite but self defined hardcore gamers.

Being an hardcore has nothing to do with the quality. Someone who spends all his time playing in a Wow tournament is an harcore player.

To clarify once and for all, here is the definition given by wikipedia (yeah I know, still better than what you can do).

"Hardcore gamers prefer to take significant time and practice on games, and tend to play more involved games that require larger amounts of time to complete or master. Hardcore gamers may take part in video game culture. Competition is another defining characteristic of hardcore gamers, who often compete in organized tournaments, leagues, or ranked play integrated into the game proper. There are many subtypes of hardcore gamers based on the style of game, gameplay preference, hardware platform, and other preferences."

I played 138 hours of Skyrim until now. I ranked among the world top 100 in Wipeout HD and was world number 4 in several training missions of Metal Gear Solid 2. I know I'm an addict, doctor. But as this definition goes, I think I can define myself an hardcore gamer, without pride, because all I care is having fun.

Happy now? Do you want to give me a lesson on videogames again?
  • Reply 103 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The inelegance, the lack of point, the idea running contrariwise to their mission?

Doesn't that tell you the developers should have done something different, then?

Apple could make a cradle that looks nice and supports games like this.

And no: the developers did the best they could, as there is just no way around the crappy controls for games like this on a touchscreen.

Plus, theres no developer in the world that can make you see through you own fingers while you're using the touch screen controls \

Sure, angry birds is great, plants vs zombies, and some more games are perfectly playable, but for games like this real buttons would really improve the gaming experience.
  • Reply 104 of 223
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No, real gamers use:

- a football and a helmet

- a soccer ball and cleats

- a 17 foot sailboat

- a shotgun and clay targets

- a rifle and venison on the hoof

- a puck and skates

- and any number of other options.

A PC, keyboard, and a mouse? Hopeless loser wimps.

The Hunger Games (2012)
  • Reply 105 of 223
    Quote:

No. We'll just call you an Addict. Your time spent gaming isn't a measure of your hardcore label. It's the quality of gaming that would go to labeling you as an elite game player.

Back in the 80s to very early 90s Arcades were surrounded by guys who dumped in routinely $50 a day at an arcade. They all stunk at the games. Then an expert would come in with a single quarter and play Defenders, Galaga, Q-bert, Pacman, Ms. Pacman, Beserker and others for hours as the idiots all stood around in awe.

That person was the talented gamer. They never called themselves hardcore. We called them experts.

Noticed this in the Apple Store yesterday.
    No quarters necessary.
  • Reply 106 of 223
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

No, real gamers use:

- a 17 foot sailboat

- a puck and skates

No, no, no.

Real gamers use a chess board and chess pieces, Neanderthals run around in the [shudder] sunshine chasing balls and stuff!

Different strokes for different folks, seven billion people and each entitled to an opinion.
  • Reply 107 of 223
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Your worldview is embarrassingly America-centric. You should get out and travel the world more often. You'll look less like a boorish Yank.

Sony is headquartered in Japan. They often roll out new products in their home country first. Sony is thinking like Japanese.

They don't celebrate Christmas there; the official state religion is Shinto. The 25th day of December is a regular day (except for this year, since it falls on a Sunday which is in fact normal day off for most Japanese workers).

Yeah, yeah, some of the younger Japanese couples trade extravagent presents as Western consumer practices extend their cultural hegemony over the world, but it's really no long-standing tradition of celebrating Christmas in Japan.

And guess what? They don't celebrate Thanksgiving either!

Note that many U.S. gaming product launches have occurred at large trade shows like CES (January) or E3 (spring). Since the industry historically did not ship product the same day they announce, they would pre-announce to generate hype over the upcoming months.

Apple has changed the game.

You're clueless. Many non-Christian nations celebrate Christmas even more than the West does, especially in Asia. And even if that weren't the case, the U.S. is hardly the only nation that does. Launching after Christmas is a bad idea.
  • Reply 108 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

No, no, no.

Real gamers use a chess board and chess pieces, Neanderthals run around in the [shudder] sunshine chasing balls and stuff!

Different strokes for different folks, seven billion people and each entitled to an opinion.

No. Real gamers get sent to military school in an orbiting space station so they can commit xenocide without even knowing it.
  • Reply 109 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

You're clueless. Many non-Christian nations celebrate Christmas even more than the West does, especially in Asia. And even if that weren't the case, the U.S. is hardly the only nation that does. Launching after Christmas is a bad idea.

For a game console launching for the holiday does seem like the best time but of they aren't ready I think it beat to wait than rush a launch. Even coming out in the first part of 2012 could give them a strategic advantage over Nintendo (if they have something planned) or against the iPod Touch (which I think will get an update in early 2012 with a larger display).
  • Reply 110 of 223
    These days it seems like a lot of the AAA console/pc titles are focused on a short single player game with the real value being found in the multi-player aspect. I absolutely hate playing multi-player games. The reason: the people who are "hardcore" who will do whatever it takes to absolutely ruin the experience. I don't mind playing shooters, but I will never login to a server to get my head blown off within seconds of appearing on the map. Then dozens of times after only seconds from respawning. This is fun to some people. I won't plop down $60 for that though. Different strokes for different folks.

Sure, there are games like Fallout 3 that I played through and still probably have 100 hours left of content and side quests. These types of single player games are more fun for me and you feel like even though you are one person, you have a real part in a huge story. There are little secrets hidden throughout and you have to really explore every inch of the map to find them. My fiancee played through the game and explored everything...at least she though...when she saw me with my trusty (and very durable I must say) canine companion and shouted "WHERE DID YOU GET THE DOG?!" Games like that are where my money will go.

However, I haven't really had much interest in my 360 lately. I find myself playing more games on my iPhone and while most people think that smartphone games are unpolished steaming piles, the truth is that most smartphones like the iPhone 4S now have the hardware to do close to the graphics you get on consoles. So now there are big-name publishers like EA and others who are starting out by giving you maybe a slightly gimped and watered down version of their big console/pc titles, but eventually they will be able to provide the same experiences to both. Would I rather commit $60 (or even $20) for something that only provides 7-8 hours of play or $0.99-5.99 for something that has close to the graphic chops and provides a similar, albeit smaller scale experience and fits better in my pocket? Like I said above, different strokes for different folks.

Also, just because the console/pc game costs more and is hyped as AAA, doesn't mean it isn't going to be a disappointing pile itself. I've seen plenty of games that were hyped up the wazoo and were reported to be very clever and did things that no other game has done only to be released a year or two later and be pure garbage panned by all the critics.

I would like to also just post this aside: I have a 4th gen iPod Touch with a lot of games on it...many of which proved that iOS wasn't a good long-session game platform because the battery would drain to nothing after maybe an hour or two. My iPhone 4S has replaced it and I have real trouble denting that battery after even a few hours of gaming. Of course not everyone is having that same experience with their iPhone 4S, but once Apple nails down the battery issues...
  • Reply 111 of 223
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Airplay is a pretty powerful feature. Hard to compete with that.
  • Reply 112 of 223
    Quote:

To be fair, most of those so called experts dumped a few quarters into the games themselves before being able to go forever on the one quarter.
  • Reply 113 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

The vita will separate the gamers from the posers.

I love the iOS devices but as far as gaming goes, they don't come close to a dedicated gaming console, don't fool yourselves people.

My iPhone 4s & iPad 2 are for other things & very very part time for games when i have a few minutes to kill, id play PC or console games when real gaming needs to be done

i'll order the vita pretty soon, Uncharted look very rad indeed.

iOS device might not come close to an X-Box or PS3, but they come close enough to the Nintendo and Sony handheld devices. Especially when you the price of the games into consideration.

Are you really going to be away from an actual TV long enough to justify a handheld? Moreover, the iPhone makes a pretty good control for many games through Airplay. THe next version of the iPad and iPhone will also boost a significance performance boost.
  • Reply 114 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If I was a mod here I'd ban you for life for this. I've got infractions myself for saying a lot less.

Ha! You're reading too much into it. Maybe I caught you with your pants down?

Quote:

You call me ignorant? And hypothesise I might be a "Japanese Wierdo?"

No, I said you're ignorant in this matter. Which is even more obvious due to what you just posted below here.

Also, I didn't hypothesise you might a "japanese weirdo". If you were one you would be playing jGames instead of posting this whining.

Japanese are known to have quite... strange tastes for many things, and gaming is not an exception. Games like Catherine are something you'd never see from a Western developer. That's what I meant with "Japanese weirdo". Google "WTF Japan Seriously?" if you don't believe me...

Quote:

The funny thing is that you argue that these games are not "shooters" (I said war games), and then list a long list of .. war games.

Yes, anything that has any kind of conflict = war. Chess and checkers should be considered war games, I guess

Out of all of the games listed, the only one where war is not only present in a background way, but is the main theater, in a way that matches the nonsense you posted before is StarCraft II. Which is a strategy game, which requires quick thinking and skill, which kinda kills your point anyway.

And only half of them mention any kind of war in any way, further proving you don't know what you're talking about (or are trying to discredit me to make my post seem more like "ban-material")

One of them is a puzzle game FFS! You can't harm anyone at all and can't die until the end of the game! Chess is more "military" than that!

Quote:

Even the driving games yo list here are the exact kind of aggressive nonsense that I was talking about.

See what I'm talking about. Only one, ONE driving game is listed... and that's Gran Turismo 5. Also known as a racing simulator. In fact, your post is more agressive than the entire game

Well, I guess you saw a "G" and a "T" on the cover and thought it was Grand Theft Auto... Only way your sentence makes any kind of sense.

Quote:

You were so hot to insult me you completely missed my point.

No, I was so shocked about how you started talking out of your ass that I missed your "point". Let me check on that...

Oh, right. You were just stating (incorrectly) that all games have "military" settings and being a jackass about how you're such an enlightened hipster.

Quote:

Post reported for personal racist attack.

Please return to your Mum's basement and have a nice day.

Considering all of your (purposeful?) misinterpretations, troll-like lying and this last sentence, which you would totally be whining about how offensive and insulting it is, I guess I have about the same right as you to file a report

Nah, that'd be ridiculous. Oops, I forgot you did that.
  • Reply 115 of 223
    Quote:

I wouldn't do that if I were you just yet. The people that make Uncharted the bag of awesomeness it is are Naughty Dog, and Naughty Dog doesn't have anything to do with the Vita title.

Wait and see.
  • Reply 116 of 223
    Quote:

No, real gamers use:

- a 17 foot sailboat

- a puck and skates

"Look mommy! I'm so strong!"

EDIT: "And masculine!"
  • Reply 117 of 223
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

The vita will separate the gamers from the posers.

I believe this is true but how many people are that hard core when it comes to gaming? Especially with respect to a portable device. If I'm going to carry something around in my pocket it better be multifunctional.

Quote:

I love the iOS devices but as far as gaming goes, they don't come close to a dedicated gaming console, don't fool yourselves people.

I don't disagree but I also don't believe there are that many hard core gamers around.

Given that wouldn't it be neat if the rumored 7" device was a gaming optimized machine. I realize that iOS devices currently come up short as far as gaming I/O goes but really that is a minor engineering problem.

Quote:

My iPhone 4s & iPad 2 are for other things & very very part time for games when i have a few minutes to kill, id play PC or console games when real gaming needs to be done

Exactly!

Quote:

Report back please. I'm sure it will be a good experience for a hardcore gamer, I just don't see it being a roaring success that these devices had in the past. Then again if it supports non game apps well it might have a chance.
  • Reply 118 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Japanese are known to have...

You'll find a lot of comments throughout history that peg a race or culture as being known for a certain pejorative, weird or inferior aspect when science and understanding later proves such comments were just racist and ignorant.
  • Reply 119 of 223
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    We are getting various reports now about just how fast ARM A9 cores can run on 32&28nm processes. Now depending upon how Apple manages the power budget in its A6 processor we could see A9 cores running at between 2 & 2.5 GHz. Maybe a bit less if they amp up the GPU.

In any event very capable hardware.

Now we have rumors of a 7" iOS device, which could be a smaller iPad or it could be Apples approach to a gaming optimized device. Engineering wise it wouldn't be a big deal to add a few I/O bits and the associated buttons. IOS is well established now so they can easily come out with more targeted hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No, that's not what's happening. That's a fantasy, that you created in your head, to explain what you wish was happening.

What's actually happening is that "gaming" and the amount of time/money spent on it, by the largest denomination of people, is going in the direction that iOS is taking it. Android too, to an extent.

Exactly! For multiple reasons but most importantly most people are not hardcore when it comes to games.

Quote:

You can fantasize about people not ditching their consoles or PCs, but that is what's happening. Even "hardcore" gamers (despise that phrase) only allot a certain amount of time in a day for gaming, and a large amount of that is moving from their console to their phone or tablet. You don't need much data to substantiate it. People aren't inventing more time to play games. As these new things come along, they're splitting time among them, or moving to the new platforms almost entirely. For lots of reasons. Many of which sound ludicrous to the slobbering console drones, but they are reasons nonetheless. Things like, "its simply more convenient to pick up and play, here and there."

It makes absolutely no difference what you WANT to see happen, or what you think should happen. The market has its own idea of this, and it shows.

Exactly the market has already decided in favor of more functionality and convenience. The thing here is that Apple could easily deliver more gaming functionality in an iOS device and still have all the benefits of the rest of the iOS market. All they need to be willing to do is take a touch like device and add a little I/O. Or a smaller iPAD. Such features are trivial hardware and the software is easy to deal with.

The question is does Apple feel that it needs to compete this way? I don't know but with the run away success of iOS I'm expecting to see more unique hardware using the platform. Maybe not a gaming machine but my imagination runs wild with possibilities.
  • Reply 120 of 223
    lol...this thread is humorous and sad.

Can't even compete in a market separate from Apple without feeling the wrath of the iPhan.