Messaging programs keep crashing my computer!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
In the past months I've had an interesting problem. I'll just have my computer running like normal, with AIM, Yahoo Messenger or Fire running the background.

At some seemingly random point, I'll click to bring one of these apps to the front so I can use them. Spinning beach ball of death appears. Now here's where it gets weird. I'll try to force quit the offending application. It never works on the first try. Usually I have to force quit twice for the app to really quit. Sometimes no matter how many times I try, they won't quit. They also won't respond to anything.

If I have both AIM and Yahoo running, and one of them goes down, so will the other. Which one is first seems to switch back and forth, but I haven't kept records on this. If I run Fire in place of both, the exact same thing happens.

If I do manage to quit the offending programs, they won't start back up again. Plus, my computer will refuse to restart after that and I'm forced to unplug it and plug it back in. This is not ideal.

Please help. This is really really annoying.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    I think it's possible that some sort of conflict is occurring between the different messaging programs, perhaps they're trying to access the same ports and stepping on each others toes. I think this is especially true in the case of the AIM and Yahoo client, which come across as being rather slipshod in execution.

Fire's a fun little app, but I much prefer Proteus. It's cocoa based, super stable, and manages all of your accounts, and even lets you have multiple accounts for a single service running at once. Check it out, see if it helps.

<a href="http://www.indigofield.com/"; target="_blank">Proteus Homepage</a>

Also, any problems that Yahoo or Aim cause tend to last long past you quit the apps, so I'd recommend launching Proteus directly after a fresh restart (whether you just logout and log back in, or actually reboot the machine) to clear out any junk AIM or Yahoo may have caused. If proteus works for you, then just forget about the official clients and never launch them again.

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks, I will try this and report back!