Web Sharing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

Before I actually state my problem I guess I should make sure this is the best way to do what i want to do.

\\I have a mac at home and work on a windows 98 machine at work. I wish to be able to access my documents/images/movies etc. whilst at work.

At first I was gonna just put my most used files on my idisk - but then I thought it would be great to be able to access anything i want. Besides with idisk I would have to keep on synching the files.

So - I figured having web sharing would be the go. I was going to make a duplicate of all my files in my sites folder in my home directory. However, this aliasing thing sounds good so I might give that a go.

My problem: when I try to turn web sharing on in sys preferences it says 'turning on web sharing' but just stays like that for ages. I'm using airport. In the airport utility I have port mapped to this computer the 21 and the 80. I also have file sharing turned on. I also have apple talk turned on. I have ftp access turned on.

I don't know if any of this is relevant I'm just trying to give as much information as possible.

I saw an old thread where the original poster of the thread said he ended up using ftp and then logging in using IE. is that perhaps better for what i want to do? could anyone tell me how to set that up?

repplies gratefully accepted. if i have left any neccessary info out plpease tell me.

cheers.

Additional: I'm on the pc now. I just got to mount my idisk using 'my computer'. Does anyone know if I get the web sharing thingy to work if i can then mount a web folder using 'my computer'? If so, this would probably be the best way to do it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I'd use ftp. Just be sure you don't have some root user laying around asking to be hacked. If you turn FTP on, always come up with a very good password for root--just in case.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    FTP is a good solution. I have yet to try it on Mac OS X, but I can tell you that is works great on our Linux server. It's very convenient and easy to use (except when the school connection decides that all ports other than 80 and 443 can only lead to trouble, go figure, I hate Bess).

You also might want to try out an FTP client, rather than relying on IE. Fetch from Fetch Softworks (http://www.fetchsoftworks.com) is an excellent client for the Macintosh. There are also numerous PC clients, try Google or versiontracker.com.