T-Mobile US network changes grant 3G access to some unlocked iPhone users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Though T-Mobile U.S. does not offer Apple's iPhone and its network cannot provide 3G access to the iPhone in most parts of the country, a select number of users using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile can now obtain 3G speeds thanks to a network adjustment.

T-Mobile has been "refarming" some of its wireless spectrum in certain parts of the country, utilizing the 1900MHz band for HSPA+ 3G speeds. This has allowed some unlocked iPhone users to access 3G signals, according to TmoNews.

Users in Utah, Nevada, parts of Northern California and the Pacific Northwest have reportedly seen T-Mobile switch to the 1900MHz spectrum in some areas, allowing iPhone users to access the HSPA+ network. The changes are said to only affect pockets of users, rather than large areas.

"In some areas, there is a real possibility unlocked iPhone owners could pick up pockets of 3G signal," the report said. "It's not going to be a scenario we see playing out all over the country, in fact it's probably going to be pretty rare with lots of emphasis on rare."

Still, those users who do gain 3G access on an unlocked iPhone can obtain HSPA+ speeds, which are said to be 10 to 12 times faster than standard 3G at peak speeds. In fact, the HSPA+ connection packs speeds as high as 27 times faster than EVDO, which peaks at 3.2Mbps.

T-Mobile's regular U.S. network relies on different frequencies in the AWS 3G spectrum, supporting the 1700MHz and 2100MHz bands, while AT&T supports 850MHz and 1900MHz. The current iPhone hardware does not support the 1700MHz frequency, meaning a modification of the hardware would be necessary for it to run on 3G speeds. That also means users running an unlocked version of the iPhone on T-Mobile's network cannot access 3G speeds unless they are in an area where the 1900MHz frequency is in use.

T-Mobile is the only major carrier in the U.S. that does not offer Apple's iPhone, and that lack of availability may be due solely to the fact that T-Mobile operates its 3G network on a non-traditional frequency. In fact, Apple has even begun to expand availability of the iPhone to smaller regional carriers like C Spire Wireless, while T-Mobile has been left out.

The carrier's chief marketing officer, Cole Brodman, issued a note to customers in September noting that T-Mobile would like to add the iPhone to its lineup, but revealing that the decision was up to Apple. The company has instead pushed its line of Android alternatives in the place of Apple's popular handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Cole Brodman, T-Mumble's CMO is the STOOPIDEST Marketing guy in the solar system. IF he's naive enough or arrogant enough to believe that Apple is waiting on T-Mumble to do ANYTHING or decide ANYTHING, he's an idiot.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I don't get it. If you had an unlocked iPhone, why would you choose to use the one network on which you can't get any 3G coverage? Surely the number of iPhone users on T-Mobile U.S. is pretty much zero.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

…why would you choose to use the one network on which you can't get any 3G coverage?

Because you don't want to be forced to have a data plan.

Quote:

Surely the number of iPhone users on T-Mobile U.S. is pretty much zero.

Couple million, I thought.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then why would you care about 3G?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:

Why on earth would you splash out on a carrier-free iPhone if you don't want a data plan? Not having mobile data makes a large majority of its features useless when you're out and about...
  • Reply 6 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Even China Mobile has 10 million iPhone users which can only access '2G' data.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:

I don't get it. If you had an unlocked iPhone, why would you choose to use the one network on which you can't get any 3G coverage?

AT&T plan: 450min + SMS + 2GB data = $85mo (extra fees if you ever need to tether)

T-Mobile plan 500min + SMS + 2GB data = $50mo (and no tethering charges)

Also people visiting the US from other countries can just get a T-Mobile "pay as you go" SIM to put into their iPhone for their visit with no monthly fees.

Also note that in larger cities, you can't get 3G coverage on AT&T either.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Then why would you care about 3G?

That's? the exact point I'm making?

Quote:

Why on earth would you splash out on a carrier-free iPhone if you don't want a data plan?

Because the alternative is a convoluted process of unlocking it yourself, waiting a month, and paying the ETF and first month's charges, which come to an equal amount of money.

Quote:

Not having mobile data makes a large majority of its features useless when you're out and about...

Wi-Fi has existed for about a decade. I think they manage.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    So is T-Mobile the only U.S. carrier which will let you buy an iPhone with a pay as you go SIM and have a data allowance?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

AT&T plan: 450min + SMS + 2GB data = $85mo (extra fees if you ever need to tether)

T-Mobile plan 500min + SMS + 2GB data = $50mo (and no tethering charges)

Also people visiting the US from other countries can just get a T-Mobile "pay as you go" SIM to put into their iPhone for their visit with no monthly fees.

Also note that in larger cities, you can't get 3G coverage on AT&T either.

For those that don't use SMS those prices aren't viable. Since their iPhone-compatible '3G' is currently severely limited there will be few that will find this a benefit. Fast data is important to people which is why we haven't seen a mass exodus from AT&T as other carriers have gotten the iPhone and why '4G' is so marketable despite severe power requirements.

PS: It's possible to get Pay As You Go from AT&T with an unlocked iPhone:

PPS: T-Mobile USA doesn't count date for social networking but I wonder how it knows. Is it excluding data from a particular app(s) which would make this not compatible with the iPhone or does it use URLs via their towers to exclude any data from such sites.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

So is T-Mobile the only U.S. carrier which will let you buy an iPhone with a pay as you go SIM and have a data allowance?

Yes. Well, there are smaller, regional carriers that exist (Cincinnati Bell, that one in the south that said they were too good for the iPhone, and some in Hawaii and Alaska), and I don't know if they allow it (or if they even HAVE data…), but yeah, T-Mobile's the only nationwide carrier that will let you do that.

They're the only ones who will let you use a PAYG plan at ALL, much less with data.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: It's possible to get Pay As You Go from AT&T with an unlocked iPhone:

Absolutely.

The AT&T's pay-as-you-go GoPhone SIM works just fine in my unlocked iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Some companies force you to go with a specific carrier. One of our vendors is TMo only. for those stuck in that kind of situation an unlocked iPhone might be worth it.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Can anyone confirm this in the bay area?

I'd jump ship if it was true.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

I don't get it. If you had an unlocked iPhone, why would you choose to use the one network on which you can't get any 3G coverage? Surely the number of iPhone users on T-Mobile U.S. is pretty much zero.

Actually, there are about 1 million iPhone users on Tmobile, including myself. When you around wifi most of the time and can use egde the rest of the time, it's a pretty good deal. $50 per month for unlimited talk, text, data.

I have no problem using Siri on EDGE. Ive also checked email which was quick enough. I even compared a video on EDGE vs wifi on two iPhones side by side. While the video quality was obviously way poorer, it was still viewable and there wasn't a major difference with audio.

My point being that even in its current state, Tmobile with the iPhone works for many.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Why on earth would you splash out on a carrier-free iPhone if you don't want a data plan? Not having mobile data makes a large majority of its features useless when you're out and about...

Kids, they carry a regular cheaper plan phone, and an iPod touch. I wish I could get them an iPhone with no data plan - and so do they.

I have some staff employees that I provide iPhone - they are not sales people - they are either at work or at home - they have WiFi
  • Reply 17 of 32
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

The only reason I don't use T-mobile is that I can't get 3G. Anyone know where I can get a map of T-mobile 1900 spectrum? If there is reasonable coverage in my area, I'd consider going back to T-mobile in June when my contract runs out. In fact, maybe what I'll do is wait for the iPhone 5 to come out, say I lost my iphone and pay for a replacement iPhone 5 on the AT&T contract (costs about $400) and then cancel with AT&T and go to T-Mobile with a shiny new iPhone 5.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

To be more precise, to have a much cheaper total plan (which might include pre-paid). Assume you pay $5-10 per month on pre-paid minutes, add a $10 data plan to that and you pay way, way less than the cheapest iPhone plans on Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

To be more precise, to have a much cheaper total plan (which might include pre-paid). Assume you pay $5-10 per month on pre-paid minutes, add a $10 data plan to that and you pay way, way less than the cheapest iPhone plans on Verizon, AT&T and Sprint.

Well, sure, but also for not having a data plan at all.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

I for one would love to get 3G on another network other than T-Mobile, but when on a temporary work visa here, AT&T want to charge you $500 up front to use their network, T-Mobile does not have this policy.