dead logic board?maybe ?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
a screw came loose from the side panel latch on my b/w g3 400 last night and got lodged beneath my logic board.

at the time, the computer simply failed to do anything when the power button was pressed.

thinking it a powersupply problem, i opened the case and quickly saw the screw tucked between two dimms *UNDER* the logic board.

i used a plastic cap from a ballpoint pen to gingerly remove the screw from beneath the board. but, it appears the damage has been done.

now when i press the power button, the hard drive spins up and the light comes on on the front of the machine (and on the board itself). but, there is no startup chime, the USB bus does not initialize (as can be seen when light on some of the USB peripherals flash on boot), no power is sent to the monitor, and (obviously) no happymac.

i had already resigned to the notion that the logic board has been fried. but, is there a chance that only the ram has been sacrificed?

i tried booting with each dimm inserted by itself but could not get the machine to start. (if they are *ALL* bad, this wouldnt solve anything anyway.

will a b/w yosemite boot with no ram installed? will it at least give the death knell tones? i've tried it, but get no change in results from above--but, then that may be indicating that it is indeed the board.

any help would be appreciated (as well as any leads on a new board PN 611-2194)

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    If I were you, I'd spend $20 on the cheapest RAM chip I could find before I went and spent hundreds on a new logic board. I'm not sure I understand your explanation (aren't the RAM DIMMs on TOP of the board?), but even if I was pretty sure the logic board was fried, it'd be worth a shot to get the RAM if it wasn't. Also, if you've got an extra slot, you can just leave it in there when you get something that does work.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    i guess that is kinda confusing without a pic.

yes the dimms themselves are on top of the board.

but the screw got lodged beneath the board. and, the slots themselves have 68 pin solders per slot that stick down below the board. this is where the screw got hung up.

so, my reasoning in the fried ram was that the screw shorted out the pin solders --and ultimately the ram itself.

the ram is just pc100 ram. so, rather than spend $20, i'll just wait till tuesday when i go into the office where i have a few pc boxes that run pc100.

i just thot someone might know what a b/w would do if you pulled all the ram and booted the machine. will it chime? will it give the death knell tones? will the screen fire up?

now that my system is down, i cant make any deductive reasoning on my own.

thx.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    Oh, I understand now. Yeah, it does sound like it could very well just be the RAM that has the problem. I'm not sure how that particular machine reacts. The only time I've done something similar was when I put PC100 RAM in a G4 QuickSilver Digital Audio (PC133 only), and it refused to start up. I can't quite remember what happened, it was a while ago, but I know it didn't get far, if anywhere. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by cudaboy_71:

<strong>a screw came loose from the side panel latch on my b/w g3 400 last night and got lodged beneath my logic board.

at the time, the computer simply failed to do anything when the power button was pressed.

thinking it a powersupply problem, i opened the case and quickly saw the screw tucked between two dimms *UNDER* the logic board.

No, the machine won't do anything without RAM in it (aside from what it's doing now, HD spinning, power LED on, etc). You'll need to test some new RAM in it for sure. It's possible the RAM bus is fried due to the screw as well. Also, flash the PRAM (hold down CMD-OPTION-P-R when starting the machine, let chime 3 times, then let go). Your PRAM can be corrupted during a crash while booting, so resetting this would be a good idea. If you're still experiencing the same problems with new RAM and following a PRAM zap, then bring the machine in to an Apple service center for a final diagnosis.

i used a plastic cap from a ballpoint pen to gingerly remove the screw from beneath the board. but, it appears the damage has been done.

now when i press the power button, the hard drive spins up and the light comes on on the front of the machine (and on the board itself). but, there is no startup chime, the USB bus does not initialize (as can be seen when light on some of the USB peripherals flash on boot), no power is sent to the monitor, and (obviously) no happymac.

i had already resigned to the notion that the logic board has been fried. but, is there a chance that only the ram has been sacrificed?

i tried booting with each dimm inserted by itself but could not get the machine to start. (if they are *ALL* bad, this wouldnt solve anything anyway.

will a b/w yosemite boot with no ram installed? will it at least give the death knell tones? i've tried it, but get no change in results from above--but, then that may be indicating that it is indeed the board.

any help would be appreciated (as well as any leads on a new board PN 611-2194)

TIA</strong><hr></blockquote>