Reprogram Keyboard

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
On my iBook keyboard, 3 keys, function, the last letter in the alphabet key (i cant type it), an, heavna forbid, the Apple key! Is there any way i can reprogram these keys to other less used keys, (the second option key, enter key, etc.) PLEASE I NEED HELP. I can barely live without my apple key.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well I know that in OS 9 at least, you can choose from a bunch of different keyboard layouts. I don't know how to make a new one, but I have seen certain ones available for download, so it must be possible. Try going to resexcellence.com and asking at their forums. People there really like tinkering with their software.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jregojrego Posts: 56member
    I know it's possible in UNIX as well. You can make your own keymaps and reassign single keys if you know what you're doing. I've seen some instructions dealing with it online, and was considering doing it myself (any idea how annoying it is when the backspace acts as a forwards backspace in ONE application? I just switched to emacs for a while though, until we got a different version of Linux on the box I was sshing to.). Howtos for 'NIX systems are all over the place. Try a Google search and you should find what you need, or at least something that might be what you need if it wasn't so confusing. Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    buisbuis Posts: 30member
    I would be extremely interesting in remapping some keys in MacOS X. Could anybody post a link?

I would want to use this knowledge to map the 'enter' key to an 'option' key on a PowerBook or iBook. When I connect a mouse, I regularly switch hands to prevent RSI. When I'm lefty, I really miss the complete modifier set on the right side of the keyboard...