ISDN and airport...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

My boss just picked up a new TiG4 with an airport card and base station (he has a old IBM< he want to keep online as well), and he wants help setting up a new home network. Well, the catch is at home he has a digital ISDN line. I seem to recall a few years ago, reading an Apple support document that suggested that digital phone lines were unhealthy for iBook modems.

Does anyone have some advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    faxthatfaxthat Posts: 64member
    [quote]Originally posted by wormboy:

<strong>Hi all,

My boss just picked up a new TiG4 with an airport card and base station (he has a old IBM&lt; he want to keep online as well), and he wants help setting up a new home network. Well, the catch is at home he has a digital ISDN line. I seem to recall a few years ago, reading an Apple support document that suggested that digital phone lines were unhealthy for iBook modems.

Does anyone have some advice?</strong><hr></blockquote>

------------------------

ISDN won't work with the analog modem in his Mac os no sense in trying and exposing his modem to the risk. ISDN requires a special ISDN modem or ISDN router. My advice would be an ISDN router because it will allow ethernet to the Airport. Some ISDN modems may do that, but most use other interfaces such as serial or USB. Better route would be to replace ISDN service with DSL, which is what I did. I also have an ISDN router for cheap if he's unable to get DSL.