Steve Jobs awarded posthumous grammy, memorial statue unveiled in Hungary

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The Recording Academy announced on Wednesday that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs is a posthumous recipient of a Special Merit Grammy award, while a software company in Budapest, Hungary has taken the wraps off a six-and-a-half-foot-tall memorial bronze statue of Jobs.

Grammy Award

The Recording Academy announced on Wednesday its 2012 Special Merit Awards recipients, including the LifeTime Achievement Award, Trustees Award and Technical Grammy Award.

Jobs was joined by R&B legend Dave Bartholomew and jazz recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder in receiving the Trustees Award, which recognizes "outstanding contributions to the industry in a nonperforming capacity."

Allman Brothers Band, Glen Campbell, Antonio Carlos Jobim, George Jones, the Memphis Horns, Diana Ross, and Gil Scott-Heron all received LifeTime Achievement Awards, while Celemony and Roger Nichols received the Technical Grammy Award.

"This year's honorees offer a variety of brilliance, contributions and lasting impressions on our culture," said Neil Portnow, President and CEO of The Recording Academy. "It is an honor to recognize such a diverse group of individuals whose talents and achievements have had an indelible impact on our industry."

An exclusive ceremony will be held to honor the recipients on Feb. 11, 2012 and a formal acknowledgment will be made during the Grammy Awards telecast on Feb. 12.

The Recording Academy did not specifically state its reasons for the award, but Jobs is likely being honored for revolutionizing the music industry through iTunes. Though his efforts to establish a viable digital music ecosystem did occasionally put him at odds with recording industry executives, he tenaciously built iTunes into the world's largest music vendor.

The iTunes store earned $1.5 billion in revenue last quarter, with the iPod remaining the top selling music player in most countries Apple tracks.

In fact, Jobs was instrumental in revolutionizing several industries, such as personal computers, mobile phones, tablets and digital animation. Before his death in October, he told biographer Walter Isaacson that he wanted to reinvent the television, textbooks and photography.

Jobs' statue

Architectural software maker Graphisoft revealed on Wednesday its larger-than-life statue in honor of the late Apple co-founder in Budapest. Commissioned by the company's founder and chairman, Gabor Bojar, the nearly 7-foot-tall bronze statue was crafted by Hungarian sculptor Erno Toth.

?With its attention to excellence in every detail, Graphisoft Park?s environment embodies the spirit of Steve Jobs,? said Graphisoft CEO Viktor Varkonyi. ?I can?t think of a better place to commemorate the man and his legacy."

Copyright: Szabolcs Dudás

Graphisoft has viewed Jobs as a benefactor of the company for decades. He first came across its ArchiCAD software in the 1980s at a conference in Germany. At the time, Jobs was so impressed with the software that he quickly lent Apple's support to the project.

?Apple?s support included cash and computers at a time when GRAPHISOFT was a small company with limited resources, working within the economic and political confines of what was, at the time, communist Hungary,? Bojar said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Oh, dear, that statue?

"ET use iPhone to phone home?"
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Well deserved.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Is Jobs flashing a gang sign?
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Lol..
  • Reply 5 of 26
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

yes that's the Loop Street Geeks
  • Reply 6 of 26
    he looks like an android. 8|
  • Reply 7 of 26
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Whoever that artist is, it seems like they've taken a bit too much artistic freedom in their interpretation. What's with the mile long legs?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Well deserved. Like so many people in history, Steve Jobs will be remembered for his contributions for a long time to come.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Not sure if I came upon this statue somewhere that I would say "Oh yeah, that's Steve Jobs"

Looks like a bad case of Hippocratic fingers.

I guess it's the thought that counts.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    [self-deleted]
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

Well deserved. Like so many people in history, Steve Jobs will be remembered for his contributions for a long time to come.

I'd say that Jobs will be remembered like very few people, because his contributions are unique. Not a classic inventor. Not a true designer. Not a programmer. Not a computer scientist. Not a musician. Not an animator or movie maker. Yet he contributed to inventions, design, software, computer design, the music industry and the animation industry. He should/will be remembered like few others.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Not sure if I came upon this statue somewhere that I would say "Oh yeah, that's Steve Jobs"

Looks like a bad case of Hippocratic fingers.

I guess it's the thought that counts.

Wouldn't that be thick fingers that would look stubby. This statue looks more like Marfan Syndrome.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What does that mean? The award looks like Hippocratic fingers? You do know what those are, don't you?

Don't parse what I said. Did I mention award anywhere in my comment? Yes I am familiar with Hippocratic finger.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Wouldn't that be thick fingers that would look stubby. This statue looks more like Marfan Syndrome.

Could be Marfan. Hippocratic is the splaying of the finger tip.

Could just be a bad angle on the photo...!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    That statue does NOT look healthy.

Keep an eye on Apple's stock prices...
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Keep an eye on Apple's stock prices...

Is there something you know that you're not telling us? Something besides the typical run-up to this quarter's earnings blowout? Hmmmm? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Reply 17 of 26
    This is the first I'm seeing that image of Steve in colour - the one on his authorised biography.

But the statue... oh dear! It's really not that flattering. Good intentions but bad execution. Steve would be mortified!
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Whoever that artist is, it seems like they've taken a bit too much artistic freedom in their interpretation. What's with the mile long legs?

Might be because the photo was taken from lower down
  • Reply 19 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsismx View Post

is jobs flashing a gang sign?

west side!!!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Didn't Steve Jobs also win an Academy Award?