PowerMac 7500 Ethernet Trouble

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to figure out a way to troubleshoot my problem. I have a PM7500 with built in ethernet, but I don't think it is working. I think (don't know for sure) that the NIC is 10mb/sec card, but can't seem to get it to ping my PC on the other end of a crossover cable when I assign a static IP. I also can't seem to get it to retrieve info over my (comcast) cable modem for DHCP. I have a fresh install of OS 8.6 and all of the extensions look good.

Can anyone help me figure out either:

1) That it works, but my brain doesn't.

or

2) Where to get a 100 mb/sec ethernet card that will work with it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by muah:

<strong>I am trying to figure out a way to troubleshoot my problem. I have a PM7500 with built in ethernet, but I don't think it is working. I think (don't know for sure) that the NIC is 10mb/sec card, but can't seem to get it to ping my PC on the other end of a crossover cable when I assign a static IP. I also can't seem to get it to retrieve info over my (comcast) cable modem for DHCP. I have a fresh install of OS 8.6 and all of the extensions look good.

Can anyone help me figure out either:

1) That it works, but my brain doesn't.

or

2) Where to get a 100 mb/sec ethernet card that will work with it.

Thanks in advance.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. Your ethernet is 10Mb/s.

2. Asante sells a 10/100Mb PCI ethernet card that will work no problem.

3. Your best bet to diagnose an ethernet problem is to have another mac and not a PC. This will allow you to try an Appletalk network which is the final step in your troubleshooting. If you can't see anything through Appletalk, then you'll be ordering the Asante NIC.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Thanks for the solid input.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Sorry to re-post after just psting.

I work in IT and have more than a few ethernet NICs I have pulled from Intel machines. Is there any way to find out if there are Mac drivers for any of these (other than just looking them up on a bunch of different crappy support sites)?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pastapasta Posts: 112member
    [quote]Originally posted by muah:

<strong>Sorry to re-post after just psting.

I work in IT and have more than a few ethernet NICs I have pulled from Intel machines. Is there any way to find out if there are Mac drivers for any of these (other than just looking them up on a bunch of different crappy support sites)?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Most PC NICs won't have drivers for the Mac. In fact, Asante is the only company I know of that ships a PCI NIC with both PC and Mac drivers in the box. Everyone else does separate product lines, so a bunch of PC NICs probably won't be much help to you. You might be able to find some cheap Mac NICs from an Apple dealer that handles used machines.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for the help. I also found that D-Link has decent support for the Mac (8.6 - 9 anyway). I picked up a DFE-530tx+ for 5 bucks plus shipping. I hate spending more money on 1) an old mac, 2) a 10/100 nic card (I have at least 7 in use, and 3 in my closet).

Thanks for the help!