iPhone market share grows in US & UK, but falls across Europe

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I think apple will definitely have to change. People in reality don't care to much about OS, they care about price and features. Screen size is one of the growing features people want. When people find out that the iPhone 4s is not the iPhone 4gs they start to want an Android, Why? they think 4g>3g. So it comes to the point why should I pay the same for a smaller screen and slower data? (and for some consumers the list of things they would have to compromise is larger, keyboard, Removable battery, Having to use iTunes etc.

Why are you making the common assumption that Android market share is based on high end handsets?

It's not, as is shown by metrics based on revenue.

Having number one market share for years didn't do Nokia a lot of good.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

For the price conscious potential iPhone adopter, the iPhone 4S may be too expensive but the iPhone 4 is tempting. However, I think the $99 iPhone 4 only having 8GB of flash is a disincentive. The iPhone 4 may not be the fastest phone, but it's by no means slow and looking the same as the more expensive iPhone 4S are pluses. Given the size of apps, movies or music collections nowadays, only having 8GB of non-expandable memory can be a deal-breaker. Pulling things down from the cloud maybe a good feature, but it's not always the most convenient or cost-effective due to data plans. If the $99 iPhone 4 had 16GB of flash memory it would be much better positioned to prevent the price conscious potential iPhone adopter from turning to alternatives. The iPhone 4S having a faster SoC, better camera, and Siri are enough to make it distinct from the iPhone 4 so I don't think cannibalization from a 16GB iPhone 4 is that big a concern.

iTunes Match, now my 16GB iPhone has access to 12,000 songs, before I had 2,000.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

The UK is in Europe, it is a part of it, and a significant founder member of the EU.

So when are they moving to the Euro?

:-) <---- Samsung patented smiley.

Just takin' the p**s, must be my convict streak.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    How much of this is due to a lesser iEcosystem in the non-UK part of Europe?

Music selection is on par between UK and western European countries (at least France, Germany). But what about selection of movies, TV shows and books?

Furthermore, there are over 200 Apple stores in the US, over 30 in the UK, 22 in Canada and 13 in Australia. Meanwhile, there are less than 10 Apple stores in each of Germany, France and Italy, all of which have comparable population to the UK, and at least double of Australia and Canada.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have not invested heavily in non-English commercials either. Apple needs to invest more in non-English Europe if they want to entrench themselves there. But it sounds like their most strategic investment in the non-English parts of the world is China.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    This story is just about Europe where market share slipped dramatically. The statistics are the only facts, whereas the causes and effects are not as clear cut. Could it be a temporary drop? We'll have to wait and see, but it does seem very early in the product cycle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

"Blowing Apple away." How, exactly? Apple is selling 30 million iPhones a QUARTER. Apple is one company...Android is merely an OS that runs on devices from dozens of manufacturers. The "Android market share" numbers are therefore utterly meaningless. What does it affect? Surely not app development, where iOS is still winning the battle.

As for what phone you'd like, well...whatever. That's another matter. To me there is nothing like an iPhone. There are those I like, but they still fall short of the overall iPhone experience.

• Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maxiking View Post

Forget those numbers. Apple's biggest problem is their ridiculous currency hedging. They do their pricing by assuming Euro/USD parity, while the Euro has been around 1,30 - 1,40 USD for most of the year.

Assume the iPad at 499 USD should be around 360-380 Euros. In fact it is 479 EUR.

So everyone I know travelling to the US will bring back Apple stuff and make friends and family happy or sell it with a decent margin on ebay.

I guess in Asia the same thing is happening.

So take like 5-10% off the US Numbers (minimum) and add half of that to the EU numbers and half of this to the Asian ones.

Apple should definitely reconsider their pricing in Europe, if they don't want to be suffering for years trying to regain that lost market share. There is no reason why an iPad in Greece should cost 30% more than in the US ... Ridiculous...

Max

I think you hit the nail on the head. I just checked at the Apple UK store and an unlocked 4S costs the same there as it does in India. I am just trying to get someone from the US to get me one.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

The media are making this problem harder to solve by misreporting it.

Misreporting is subjective, as are the opinions of those reporting.

Quote:

This is a crisis stemming from bank bailouts, which is private debt that governments assumed.

This blames a bandage for the wound. One could argue, however, that it could feasibly increase the associated risks.

Quote:

Except for Greece, the countries in trouble had relatively low debt and decreasing deficits before this started.

Why is Greece regarded as the sole exception? As far as correlation goes, the countries with the lowest deficits are certainly not the ones in the most trouble. It does not seem like the level, or rate of increase, of debt was entirely sustainable.

Quote:

Now Europe is being crippled by government austerity programs, which amount to trying to get the bailout money back from people who didn't cause the problems, and killing economic recovery in the process.

So far it would be hard to ascertain what effect, if any, national government spending cuts have had on Europe as a whole. What percentage of the current deficit, or the increase, was the bailout money? From where should the money have come, or what could have been done in lieu of a bailout? Countries with the policy of not cutting spending have not conclusively shown recovery. Perhaps their populations are not as foolish as is supposed by such a policy.

Quote:

It would also be accurate to call this a crisis stemming from a currency union which isn't a true economic union, which makes the system unstable under this kind of economic shock.

Does a united federal currency create crises, or is it the state economics within that union? Did this "shock" reveal flaws in the Euro, the Eurozone or the EU?

Quote:

Thinking this all stems from government overspending leads to the false conclusion that reducing government spending will help.

Whilst a conclusion that this stems entirely from government overspending may be false, this has no impact on whether reducing government spending will or won't help.

That seems to be your conclusion.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    I know this is a fanboi site, but I am an Apple fan - having outfitted both my design studio (several mac towers) and home office...

I'm visiting the UK this holiday and have tried out the Nokia / Windows 7.5 Lumina 8000 (?) phone with "tiles" versus widgets UI).

In short, if you took it just based on the initial experience - it kicks the Apple widget/iOS5 in the ass.

However, as we all know, past the gadget/whiz bang - it's the ecosystem behind the phone (music store, movie, apps, etc.) that will make the money and propel customer (perceived) value.

At nearing 5 years, I am waiting to see how Apple moves past the widget/UI system, if they do in 2012.

IMHO, it's getting a little tired.

As much flack as MSFT gets, the tile based UI is pretty impressive - and just may sneak up on IOS5 and Android.

2-cents.