Weird networking issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, here's the story.

two identical machine. same room. one machine works on the network no problem. the other works on and off, mostly off.

i've switched cables and switched the jacks to no avail. the problem happens in both OSX (fresh install that's only a few hours old) and OS 9.2.1.

For the life of me i can't figure out what the problem is. disk first aid finds no problems.

anyone out there run into this before? at this stage i'm thinking i should just put in a new network card for kicks. if you all agree, is there any particular one you would recommend?

-alcimedes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Could be a hardware problem. My PBook works great, but my beige G3 drops packets and has collisions like crazy. Tried the same things, changing wires and everything, no help.

Easy way to tell: Start file sharing. If file sharing works and internet doesn't, it's a setting problem. Check your TCP/IP config. Are you using DHCP? If nothing works, you probably have a hardware problem.

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 3
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    Are the machines DHCP?

Are they handling AppleTalk OK even when DHCP fails?

When the machine that sometimes does not work is not working does it have a valid DHCP address?

I've seen this sort of thing happen with DHCP before. The machine fails to negotiate an address with the DHCP server and assigns itself an address in the 169.x.x.x range (IIRC).

My personal theory is that it is an interaction between the DHCP server and the Ethernet card.

Would be interesting to see if you switch the NIC does the problem follow. My guess is that it would.

My only way to fix this problem is to move to a static IP address...

Hope this helps.

Send me a message if this works, I don't read this forum much anymore...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sorry, should have included this info in the first post, but didn't have a chance.

all the machines are assigned static IP's. I've tried switching the IP's on the off chance there was a confict with another device to no avail.

file sharing does not work. at least not most of the time.

the zones do not show up, except for the local zone. that one shows up, lets you try and log into another machine, then times out when it goes to actually mount the shared folder/machine.

however, it does take the username and password info and use it properly. a bad password will get you nothing. a correct password and you see the drives and folders that are shared. really weird.

in any case, i'll try and swap out the hardware at this point, nothing else seems to work.

-alcimedes