cannot see one hard drive and the other is locked

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, mac 7100 with two hard drives. we'll call them I and E (internal and external). I has major problems and i would like to do a low-level format to it. However, I used some lacie stuff to format it and apparently it put some kind of lacie driver on it (?) it is the 7100 factory quantum drive. how can i put the original hard drive driver back on? i think this is my only hope for the system to recognize it.

ok, and on to hard drive E. this one is probably fine, and i would just like to initialize it. however, whenever i start up with a boot disk, it locks this hard drive and gives a message saying that the system is afraid it might corrupt it or something to that effect. needless to say, i can't initialize a locked hard drive.

any advice?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm not sure about drive 'I'. For the `E' drive, when you start off a cd, or diskette, and if it is the startup disk(c), then it should be locked and not any other drive(s) on your computer. If it says they are locked, it probably didn't actually start off the cd/disk. The startup disk/c usually is disk that is seen in the top-right most section of the desktop. So, if ur 'E' (or 'I') drive is there and not the boot disk, then you almost definitely didn't actually boot off the boot disc.

To make sure u start off a cd, i know you have to hold 'c' when u startup. Or, once you've gotten into Mac OS, on any disk/c, you can goto the control panels, then to `Startup Disk`, and change the startup disk to the boot disk/c (after inserting it into a drive). I'm not sure how to force the computer to start off a diskette, but i think there is some kind of key-combo to hold down.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>i'm not sure about drive 'I'. For the `E' drive, when you start off a cd, or diskette, and if it is the startup disk(c), then it should be locked and not any other drive(s) on your computer. If it says they are locked, it probably didn't actually start off the cd/disk. The startup disk/c usually is disk that is seen in the top-right most section of the desktop. So, if ur 'E' (or 'I') drive is there and not the boot disk, then you almost definitely didn't actually boot off the boot disc.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

it is definitely starting off the diskette (the disk appears in the upper right) the E drive (as i have been calling it) appears just below the startup disk, and i can read stuff from it just fine...but i can't write to it, and of course initialize it...at startup, it says it is locking Lacie External (that is the hard drive). But it is definitely not booting off of this drive
  • Reply 3 of 3
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: sickmiller ]</p>